Eddie Murphy

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I like him. I know a lot of his more recent films have been awful (I think his latest has been Razzie nominated). But he has been in some good films. I think my favourite Murphy films are Trading Places, Coming to America and Bowfinger.
So what are everyone elses favourite Eddie Murphy films?

Comments

• Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    48 Hours, Beverly Hills Cop.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other than voicing Donkey in Shrek and his straight role in Dreamgirls he's done virtually nothing since the 80's which is a massive massive shame. But looking through his filmography he hadn't done as many movies in the 80s as I thought.

Favourite films

Beverly Hills Cop
    Beverly Hills Cop 2
    Trading Places
    Coming To America
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Delirious and Raw - calling them movies may be pushing it but Raw (not sure about Delirious) had a theatrical release so I'm counting it.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    48 hours
    Trading places
    Beverly hills cop
    Coming to America
    Boomerang
    Bowfinger

everything else hes done..unwatchable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    48 hours
    Trading places
    Beverly hills cop
    Coming to America
    Boomerang
    Bowfinger

Nutty Professor was quite good I thought.
  • mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    48 hours
    Trading places
    Beverly hills cop
    Coming to America
    Boomerang
    Bowfinger

Golden Child`s okay.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    48 hours, Trading Places (his best, IMHO), Coming To America and Bowfinger.

The rest range from passable to downright awful, with most being at the lower end of that spectrum.
  • Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Other than voicing Donkey in Shrek and his straight role in Dreamgirls he's done virtually nothing since the 80's which is a massive massive shame. But looking through his filmography he hadn't done as many movies in the 80s as I thought.

Favourite films

Beverly Hills Cop
    Beverly Hills Cop 2
    Trading Places
    Coming To America
    I assume you mean he has been in nothing good because he has released movies pretty steadily over the intervening years. The Doctor Doolittle films, The Nutty Professor and the sequel, the horrendous Norbit, Holy Man, the one where he is both a miniature alien and a spaceship, Daddy Day Care, the recent Tower Heist with Ben Stiller and several others have been rubbish in the main but most of them have made decent money.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tower Heist was a return to form for Eddie Murphy, it wasn't great but it was an improvement on this last couple of films.

I think he needs to do something different to make a comeback like a drama or a thriller.
  • soransoran Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought "Life" was a funny film, and I would love to see him do some new stand up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Tower Heist was a return to form for Eddie Murphy, it wasn't great but it was an improvement on this last couple of films.

I think he needs to do something different to make a comeback like a drama or a thriller.
    Think he had a small part in DreamGirls?. And I guess Beverley Hills Cop is sort of a thriller but I'd like to see him playing a main role in a drama
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trading Places - great
    Coming To America - very good
    Beverley Hills Cop 1 - pretty good
    48 Hours - good

Then it falls off the cliff for me.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was reading a theory online somewhere that since he stopped doing his distinctive laugh his movies have been rubbish.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always loved Holy Man and Boomerang, but when I saw A Thousand Words, I thought it was brilliant - easily his best film.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    Think he had a small part in DreamGirls?. And I guess Beverley Hills Cop is sort of a thriller but I'd like to see him playing a main role in a drama

Dreamgirls showed he could do straight acting, I think if was willing to take a pay cut, he should do an indie film like Silver Linings Playbook or go the Robin Williams route and do films like Insomnia and One Hour Photo, another option could be to do a play on Broadway but I can't think of any plays that would be suitable unless it was a new play.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

Favourite films

Beverly Hills Cop
    Beverly Hills Cop 2
    Trading Places
    Coming To America
    I was going to say pretty much the same.
    Apart from the Shrek films I can't think of a decent film he's acted in since the early nighties, although he has made a hell of a lot of them in that time.
  • lux lisbon 2lux lisbon 2 Posts: 6,273
    Forum Member
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »

He was even nominated for best supporting actor for his Dreamgirls role.

That aside, he has generally sucked since the 80 s.