1181920212224»

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Agree with this.

Thornberry was an easy "sacrifice" to make, and even though she was stupid I think this was Ed trying to act tough rather than a necessary response.

I agree that the more senior Labour MPs would have survived.

Good article from Boris Johnson on this saga
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/11249207/Give-Ed-Miliband-a-Darwin-Award-for-his-Emily-Thornberry-decision.html
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I agree that the more senior Labour MPs would have survived.

Good article from Boris Johnson on this saga
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/11249207/Give-Ed-Miliband-a-Darwin-Award-for-his-Emily-Thornberry-decision.html

I agree with what he said about Ed Miliband's silly decision, but not with the wider predictable regurgitation of what we've all heard.
    Johnson is quick to criticize the 'twitstorm' as he calls it, yet has seemingly copied and pasted the second half of his article from said source.

I would also disagree with this "He [Miliband] took an everyday occurrence and turned it into something absolutely spectacular."

No he didn't. The Twittersphere and the media did that. He just overreacted when he was cornered by the whole thing.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I agree with what he said about Ed Miliband's silly decision, but not with the wider predictable regurgitation of what we've all heard.
    Johnson is quick to criticize the 'twitstorm' as he calls it, yet has seemingly copied and pasted the second half of his article from said source.

I would also disagree with this "He [Miliband] took an everyday occurrence and turned it into something absolutely spectacular."

No he didn't. The Twittersphere and the media did that. He just overreacted when he was cornered by the whole thing.

The point is do we really want someone as PM who overreacts to silly incidents like this
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    The point is do we really want someone as PM who overreacts to silly incidents like this

The problem is that leaders get criticised whatever they do. Cameron has often taken a lot of flack, especially from Miliband, for not firing people quickly when they have said or done something stupid. You are overreacting if you get rid of someone immediately but are accused of being weak if you delay.

In this case, if Miliband had controlled his temper then the following day's newspapers would have been full of a UKIP victory and Tory defeat. Then it would have been the weekend and by now everyone would have moved on and forgotten about a minor Twitterstorm.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    The problem is that leaders get criticised whatever they do. Cameron has often taken a lot of flack, especially from Miliband, for not firing people quickly when they have said or done something stupid. You are overreacting if you get rid of someone immediately but are accused of being weak if you delay.

In this case, if Miliband had controlled his temper then the following day's newspapers would have been full of a UKIP victory and Tory defeat. Then it would have been the weekend and by now everyone would have moved on and forgotten about a minor Twitterstorm.

Yet Ed Balls commits a criminal offence of fail to stop and report a car accident and nothing happens :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet Ed Balls commits a criminal offence of fail to stop and report a car accident and nothing happens :confused:

And Harman too: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/jan/08/harriet-harman-motoring-fiine

Oh and Sadiq Khan too: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29905444

Someone needs to send these Labour MPs back to driving school.
  • Options
    wendy09wendy09 Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the media would have run with thornberry not the ukip victory regardless of milibands actions
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member

Not really, but on balance, perhaps the least worst option?