Late Show with David Letterman (Part 2)

1555657585961»

Comments

• NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Looks like Stephen Colbert went down a storm at the CBS Upfronts. There was also a new logo for the show which I've seen in some pictures which I'm not sure is the final design but it's classy but different from the Letterman one.

I can’t find the logo you’re referring to, but you’re right to be cautious, the Late Late Show with James Corden logo changed between the show being promoted during The Grammys and the show premiering just a couple of months later.
    topcat3 wrote: »
    5 shows left, George Clooney's on tonight. Is Bill Murray confirmed for the final?

Letterman’s final week (which is just 3 shows) guests have now been confirmed by CBS.

On the Monday Dave welcomes Tom Hanks (his 60th Letterman appearance, first was 1984).
    On Tuesday Dave welcomes Bill Murray (his 44th Letterman appearance, first was the premier show in 1982) on his penultimate show.
    On Wednesday, Dave’s final show, CBS won’t be confirming any guests other than saying it’ll be ‘an hour filled with surprises, and a final Top Ten list’.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I can’t find the logo you’re referring to, but you’re right to be cautious, the Late Late Show with James Corden logo changed between the show being promoted during The Grammys and the show premiering just a couple of months later.

Letterman’s final week (which is just 3 shows) guests have now been confirmed by CBS.

On the Monday Dave welcomes Tom Hanks (his 60th Letterman appearance, first was 1984).
    On Tuesday Dave welcomes Bill Murray (his 44th Letterman appearance, first was the premier show in 1982) on his penultimate show.
    On Wednesday, Dave’s final show, CBS won’t be confirming any guests other than saying it’ll be ‘an hour filled with surprises, and a final Top Ten list’.

No Colbert but I wouldn't be surprised if he pops up.

Here's the logo which I found on Twitter and Tumblr.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CE_ef91XIAAmDQ_.png
  • paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was an incredible final full week of shows wasn't it?

Great guests and memorable moments.

Howard Stern and Don Rickles on Monday - what can I say? Brilliant and it's clear Dave loves them both. Real "friends of the show". Howard's shtick about not being bothered about Dave retiring was amusing but tongue-in-cheek.

President Bill Clinton and Adam Sandler on Tuesday. Adam's heartfelt song at the end was lovely and summed up how a lot of people are feeling. The part at the end where he pictures Dave driving off in his Ferrari with stolen office supplies and getting stopped and dragged back for 30 more years...

Dave's favourite Julia Roberts on Wednesday - just lovely. Paul Shaffer had a brief interview and that video he made for On Broadway depicting his ambition to get his name up in lights which happened when his name was put on the Late Show marquee. Ryan Adams gave a great performance - would have also loved for him to sing New York, New York as that would have been very appropriate wouldn't it?

George Clooney handcuffing himself to Dave on Thursday was hilarious - as was the gag recurring to the opening of Friday's show when he came out still attached to Dave's wrist before the monologue. Obviously possible because Friday's show taped after Thursday's but let's not ruin the illusion...

I've never really encountered Tom Waits before but Dave loved him. Funny they had to do the interview with George on a stool behind the desk as he was still cuffed to Letterman.

Oprah on Friday was, as you would expect, a real event. "It ain't Oprah 'til it's Oprah" as Paul sang when she came out to be interviewed.

Norm Macdonald was my highlight of the week (along with Adam Sandler) for his touching tribute to Dave after a stellar standup performance. Wonderful.

How about that surprise appearance from Al Pacino for the Top Ten list this week? Nutty and very random. :D

Adam - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwr-ZG8p_CY

Norm - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9I9zafXQkk

It looks like Bob Dylan has been confirmed for Tuesday's show now, so next week's final three shows look like this:

Monday - Tom Hanks, Eddie Vedder
    Tuesday - Bill Murray, Bob Dylan
    Wednesday - Surprises!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Colbert but I wouldn't be surprised if he pops up.

Here's the logo which I found on Twitter and Tumblr.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CE_ef91XIAAmDQ_.png

I doubt that will be the final logo but will be interesting if they decide to slightly rename the show. "The Late Show With Stephen Colbert" instead of "Late Show With Stephen Colbert".
  • A.PenroseA.Penrose Posts: 4,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to love when ITV2 and ITV4 used to show this show. Although I hated the time it was on in the small hours like 1.30am or sometimes even after 2am. I loved when he used to go to the deli shop near where the theatre was where they made the show and they got the owner to do something very daft. Also very childish but fun going on the roof of the theatre and throwing stuff off. And I loved the banter between Dave and his band leader Paul Shafer. And I remember the time he got shingles and he was making jokes about how poor his doctor was at finding out what was wrong with him and then he was off and it was no laughing matter as he had shingles. I seem to remember they were getting guests to present the show when he was off and for some very strange reason they got Elvis Costello .to present. I hope he gets another show on TV as I liked Dave a lot but then it'll probably never be shown here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did find Dave's comments during Oprah's interview interesting where he said he had things planned but didn't want to say anything in case they don't come to fruition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched all of last week’s shows over the weekend – some real highlights. My favourites being the Howard Stern and Don Rickles, Bill Clinton, George Clooney, Julia Roberts, Paul Shafer, Oprah, Adam Sandler and Norm MacDonald. I’m really looking forward to the final 3 shows this week, but also not looking forward to a late night world without Dave.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my - how amazing was last night's show? :D Tom Hanks on absolute top form and Eddie Vedder was incredible. Eddie's song seemed like a nice tribute to Dave - nice choice. :)

Tonight's show has already been taped and there's already bits and pieces circulating on Twitter and Facebook:
    Regis makes an appearance and Bill Murray has a sing-song on Broadway
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lovely tribute from Jimmy Fallon - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY-SJaL_eM8
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tuesday's show - incredible...

Bill Murray - oh my god, so great. He got a bit teary at times and tried to hold it in. :( Nice product placement for the vodka. :D Dave at his best with Bill - just the way he slowly got the bottle cap and screwed it back on when Bill started talking about him with Dave implying it was the booze talking - it just gave the audience a laugh.

Bob Dylan's song at the end was very appropriate - "The Night We Called It A Day". Dave seemed genuinely teary at the end of the performance.

Nice of Regis to stop by one last time during the monologue. :)

Great chat with Rupert Jee - a lovely highlights reel.

A little "In Memoriam" piece at the end with names of former staffers who have passed.

Tonight's finale has already taped this afternoon and there are plenty of spoilers doing the rounds online but I won't mention anything in this thread until the show has aired.

If anyone hasn't seen Jimmy Kimmel's farewell message to Dave it's amazing - http://youtu.be/y29ELOsXSI0 - and he goes out of his way to implore people don't watch his own show tonight and watch the final Late Show instead, and there aren't a lot of people who would do that. Dave really was/is his idol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I’ve enjoyed this week’s episodes so far, and will be sitting down to watch the finale tonight.
    The highlights for me have been the jokes about Dave will be doing next week. And I loved the compilation of the CBS affiliates news programmes reporting that Dave is retiring from The TONIGHT Show! I also really liked the Rupert Jee highlights, I’ve said it before in this thread but I often forget how many highlights the early years of the Late Show had as I usually mistaken them for the Late Night years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a great finale. Good night David Letterman, thanks for the past 33 years. :)
  • St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway to see the whole final show in uk ?

Found a few chunks on you tube, the top ten, the intro monologue, and final sign off, but what were other surprises ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway to see the whole final show in uk ?

Found a few chunks on you tube, the top ten, the intro monologue, and final sign off, but what were other surprises ?

I watched the entire episode as broadcast on CBS. Without commercials it ran for 59 minutes (it overran from its normal 43 minute runtime).
    I've had a look on the official YouTube channel and it looks as though almost the whole episode is on there, but in clip form. In fact I added up the duration of all the You Tube clips from the final show and it came to 56 minutes, so only 3 minutes short of the broadcast runtime - so there's nothing significant missing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've already started dismantling the set in preparation for the refurbishment that will be taking place at the Ed Sullivan Theatre for the next three months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've already started dismantling the set in preparation for the refurbishment that will be taking place at the Ed Sullivan Theatre for the next three months.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/late-show-david-letterman-set-demolition-crew-1201431275/

http://nypost.com/2015/05/21/cbs-throws-david-letterman-set-into-dumpster/

I'm sure there are plans for anything of any real value, but I'd love to be in New York right now and grab a piece of the set that's been discarded in dumpsters.
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck with that (if you had been there). The dumpsters were fenced off, and had security guards on standby.

Apparently the only part(s) of the set that survived the teardown was Dave's desk and (AFAIK) the guest chairs,
    which I hear are off to the Smithsonian. The desk was bubble wrapped and loaded up on to a large van.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://deadline.com/2015/05/late-show-david-letterman-set-demolition-crew-1201431275/

http://nypost.com/2015/05/21/cbs-throws-david-letterman-set-into-dumpster/

I'm sure there are plans for anything of any real value, but I'd love to be in New York right now and grab a piece of the set that's been discarded in dumpsters.

I suppose apart from the desk, the mike and bits of the orchestra which I imagine are either being donated or being kept by Letterman or Paul Shaffer, there isn't anything of value. It'll be interesting to see the new set for The Late Show but I imagine there won't be glimpses of that until August. I wonder who gets to keep the sign when that goes down, I imagine Letterman got first dibs on that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    Good luck with that (if you had been there). The dumpsters were fenced off, and had security guards on standby.

Apparently the only part(s) of the set that survived the teardown was Dave's desk and (AFAIK) the guest chairs,
    which I hear are off to the Smithsonian. The desk was bubble wrapped and loaded up on to a large van.

Although there are pictures of fans managing to salvage some of the 'skyline' from the dumpsters and looking very happy with it as they walk away (see the last couple of pics in the NY Post link I posted earlier).

I wonder where the desk is going - to Dave himself of the Smithsonian museum.

I think they missed an opportunity to auction some of it off. Baseball stadiums have had a great response in the past auctioning of seats before they're knocked down, I think a similar thing was done with lots of random London 2012 items too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although there are pictures of fans managing to salvage some of the 'skyline' from the dumpsters and looking very happy with it as they walk away (see the last couple of pics in the NY Post link I posted earlier).

I wonder where the desk is going - to Dave himself of the Smithsonian museum.

I think they missed an opportunity to auction some of it off. Baseball stadiums have had a great response in the past auctioning of seats before they're knocked down, I think a similar thing was done with lots of random London 2012 items too.

I imagine the audience seats of the Ed Sullivan aren't in great shape and thus aren't worth saving. I'd imagine the guest seats will be donated or retained by CBS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed ... stadium seating can be auctioned off as it's made for outdoor use. Theater seating would be
    made with fabrics and basic upholstery, so they'd have to be scrapped for health and safety reasons.

As for the rest of the theater, I'm guessing the stage would have been demolished as well. The whole
    place is most likely having as big a renovation as it did in 1993, before The Late Show first moved in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    Indeed ... stadium seating can be auctioned off as it's made for outdoor use. Theater seating would be
    made with fabrics and basic upholstery, so they'd have to be scrapped for health and safety reasons.

As for the rest of the theater, I'm guessing the stage would have been demolished as well. The whole
    place is most likely having as big a renovation as it did in 1993, before The Late Show first moved in.

It was last upgraded in 2005 so the show could be broadcast in HD but I don't think it's been renovated fully since 1993. CBS are getting a lot of tax rebates and grants for the renovations so I imagine in the long term, it'll be worth it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I recall, the last big revamp, but not total re-fit was in 1996, when the current (now mostly destroyed) set
    was first installed in place of the original Late Show set, that had the cream coloured fake brickwork arch
    and the mock up of Times Square as the backdrop for Dave's monologues and live music acts.

The show had the same set since 1996, and it only had relatively minor cosmetic updates since then, and
    after they'd upgraded the production to HD, it was very noticeable how false the set actually looked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched Wednesday's finale on Thursday. I've just got over it. :(

A great send-off and what a montage at the end - amazing moments.

Nice to see Regina and Harry in the finale.

A shame they tore down the set with such brutality a few hours after the last show aired, but that's showbiz I guess. Would have made sense for a lot of it to be auctioned off though and not sawn & stomped into bits into skips. Nice that the desk and a few other bits are likely on their way to the Smithsonian.

My roundup of the finale is up on my website - http://www.lateshowuk.com/shows/late-show/15107/thanks-for-the-memories-dave

Dave's been at the Indy races this weekend and was interviewed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auu6SnEi080

http://fox59.com/2015/05/24/david-letterman-talks-about-indy-500-late-show-farewell/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if this ever got posted here but it's pretty cool:

https://goo.gl/maps/hGWSJ