A Christmas Carol appreciation thread.

TemporalParadoxTemporalParadox Posts: 340
Forum Member
Only post if you are one of the seemingly few who enjoyed the 2010 Christmas special :D

Comments

• Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if no episode threads had a poll you would think almost every episode of doctor who was not popular with many on here. I think it's clear that the episode has been popular, both with fandom and the wider audience, look at the poll on GB (fandom) and twitter feed (wider audience).
  • jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I really think there was far more than just a few who enjoyed The Christmas special. To me, reading the ramblings on here, it was the usual people spouting the usual rubbish that they have done since the the revamp in 2005 - it makes me wonder if they even watched it to be honest.

But yeah, totally enjoyed it. It had a proper Christmas feel to it and Mr. Moffat done an excellent job of mixing the classic A Christmas Carol with a modern story such as the one portrayed last night. Matt Smith continues to make the character of The Doctor his own; Michael Gambon played the character of Kazran just right and as for Katherine Jenkins; well, she wasn't as bad as I thought she would be...

I think not seeing a lot of Amy and Rory wasn't such a bad idea; the character of Amy continues to grate on me and she would have just distracted me - and not in a good way - from the story.

So yeah, an ideal Christmas episode that I thoroughly enjoyed. It wouldn't have worked with David Tennant's Doctor - but was ideal for Matt Smith's one.

My appetite is now whetted for series six :)
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched it on Iplayer....AWESOME =DD
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite enjoyed it. Yes the singing was cheesy, but it's Christmas, what do people expect? The shark was a fun if bizarre touch. I also liked the understated twist in the 'Show me the future / I already am' scene.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a very lovely story...enjoyed it a lot.....loved that the Doctor had no choice but to get married.....he lives such a tough life....:D
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    Wonderful episode, loved it :)

and as for people not enjoying it, the first few pages of the main thread after it aired yesterday did seem to be full people who didn't like it but I think by now there are far more lovers than haters on there :)
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Eileen* wrote: »
    Wonderful episode, loved it :)

and as for people not enjoying it, the first few pages of the main thread after it aired yesterday did seem to be full people who didn't like it but I think by now there are far more lovers than haters on there :)

Most of those negative comments seemed to be posted while the show was actually on. I can't help thinking they might have enjoyed it more if they'd actually been watching it properly instead of ducking out to comment on it.

One person actually complained because they'd gone off to do somethething else and then didn't know what was happening when they got back.:eek:
    Forum Member
    Actually posting on the thread while the show is happening never bothers me, I do it myself sometimes and don't feel it detracts from my enjoyment or understanding at all, sometimes it's nice to share the experience with others, this isn't directed at you tingramretro but I do feel a lot of the posters who moan about this just like being holier than though :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually posting on the thread while the show is happening never bothers me, I do it myself sometimes and don't feel it detracts from my enjoyment or understanding at all, sometimes it's nice to share the experience with others, this isn't directed at you tingramretro but I do feel a lot of the posters who moan about this just like being holier than though :mad:

Not being holier than thou-I just don't understand how anyone can complain about not being able to follow the plot if they plainly weren't giving it their full attention because they were too busy posting! It happens with every new episode. 'This is crap, I don't understand what's going on'. 'Well trying actually watching it, you dipstick!'
    Forum Member
    I did say it wasn't directed at you.

There probably are some posters who would take it in more if they weren't posting but that sweeping comment definitely doesn't apply to everyone and I hate this presumption that everyone who posts while watching can't possibly understand it properly, which is what tends to be said.

I'm not even sure why I'm arguing this with you as I didn't even post this time - though I did have the thread open and was following the comments of those who did - it's just people judging other peope who do always annoys me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do agree it is indeed nice to do, uh, for lack of a better description live blogging of an episode with a group BUT I do wish that those who find themselves confused with an episode (for whatever reason, there's certainly a mountain of things that can distract us when we're watching TV, kids, the phone, Amy's skirts.... :D) would either a) rewatch the episode once to see if it cleared things up or b) actually posted the bits they were confused about so others can help out. I've certainly had a couple of conversations recently where b) happened and it's always interesting to try and clear up things like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or they could try just not getting distracted. Who answers the phone when Doctor Who is on? Why would you do that?:confused:
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it.

Funny, great one liners from the Doctor.
    Also touching and sad.
    Really great in HD too.
    Forum Member
    Or they could try just not getting distracted. Who answers the phone when Doctor Who is on? Why would you do that?:confused:

Maybe to some people real life is more important than a TV program.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Then I have no sympathy for them when they moan that they didn't understand it.
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the problem is that for some posters on here Dr Who is their life, hence their obsession with non important trivia like canon and their extreme annoyance if the show isn't written to their own personal preference.......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WelshNige wrote: »
    I think the problem is that for some posters on here Dr Who is their life, hence their obsession with non important trivia like canon and their extreme annoyance if the show isn't written to their own personal preference.......

We all have our own priorities. Some dedicate their lives to supposedly not important trivia, others dedicate theirs to being smug pillocks. It's all swings and rounabouts, really.
  • RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it. I much prefer Matt to David Tennant as the Dr. I loved the story. It was great!
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We all have our own priorities. Some dedicate their lives to supposedly not important trivia, others dedicate theirs to being smug pillocks. It's all swings and rounabouts, really.

And of course some dedicate to both of those things....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I tend to be in the "episode" threads and watch the show at the same time......

I had to laugh at those posting "oh this story is complicated, I don't understand the plot".... I thought maybe they had not read Charles Dickens, or maybe they were being "stupid" just to stir. The clue is in the title......

As for plot holes and unexplained bits - so what, do people need everything simple little signposted for them? They never heard of "using the imagination"??? Maybe they know the answer to the meaning of life?

Dr Who is an entertainment show - you either take it seriously or enjoy it for the fun, you are either a long term fan or someone who has only just recently discovered the show, so what - we are all the same.......

We have all had that dream of walking between those blue doors and hearing "that" sound.......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed the beginning, thanks to a stupid police road block.
    Loved the fish in "mid-air".

Splendid Ebenezer-figure.

Story whacky enough for Christmas.

My one gripe is not with the episode but with some FMs.
    Why do some of them insist on calling classical music "cheesy"? Katherine Jenkins sang beautfiully as part of the story - also looked beautiful and played the role well;
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I absolutely loved the episode. It is now my favourite Christmas special. I'm going to watch the repeat on BBC3 later.

I watched on iplayer quite late last night so need to watch again in case I missed something. I may have had the odd tipple, so you never know. In spite of which, I managed to follow what was going on quite easily.

This is the first time I have wanted to watch an episode again since The Eleventh Hour, and I am very happy to be able to say that.

Thanks, Moff and Matt. :)
  • outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    I may have had the odd tipple

How many glasses (or bottles), exactly? We're keeping a tally, you know.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    outside wrote: »
    How many glasses (or bottles), exactly? We're keeping a tally, you know.

I wasn't. :D

I could still stand up, anyway. ;)

(You know i like those whiskey macs, outside.......mmmm, is it too early?.....)
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    My one gripe is not with the episode but with some FMs.
    Why do some of them insist on calling classical music "cheesy"? Katherine Jenkins sang beautfiully as part of the story - also looked beautiful and played the role well;

My gripe with FMs is when they associate a serious genre like classical music (or 'art music') with the sort of dumbed-down tripe that Jenkins churns out on her albums.