Do people putting their feet on seats on public transport annoy you?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
Forum Member
Hi
I don't know if it is just me getting old but everytime I am on a commuter train there is always some person with their feet up on the seats opposite. I fight the temptation to say something to them - there could be dog's poo on their shoe after all. Should I say something? I just find this really bad manners - What does everyone else think?

Comments

• *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member
    Yes, it annoys me very much.
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    I do that on the bus when it's not busy, and I don't feel guilty for doing so. :D
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes its very annoying. Same applies when they do it at the cinema too.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't annoy me but I think it's very tacky and common though.
  • CyanidePillCyanidePill Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    I put my feet on the seats all time, so I'd be a hypocrite to be annoyed by others doing it!
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tend not to sit on any seat which has a seat opposite it for that reason. Someone has probably had his/her feet on it not too long ago.
    My reasoning is that seeing as I rarely sit on the pavement if I can help it, because dogs wee and worse on it and chavs spit on it and oiks throw their used chewing gum on it, it seems not to be a surface I'd want my clothes on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. It's a horrible. low rent thing to do
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the responses everyone - I live in London so commuter trains are usually packed - this guy had his feet up and someone had to actually ask him to move his feet!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Nope. It's more comfortable like that.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Filthy habit - those shoes have been treading in phlegm, chewing gum, **** ends, dog poop, general filth, and then people think it's OK to transfer it to other people's clothes via the seat.
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. It's more comfortable like that.

That's just it isn't it? It is more comfortable so whilst I hate it for the reasons already mentioned - do I really want to sit in whatever iamjustsocool's shoes have been walking in after they have left the train or bus - but I agree, it's far more pleasant to sit that way especially with a good book.

But if you feel that strongly then you should say something. I get annoyed by commuters who roll their eyes and tut at an offence but never verbally express what it is that bothers them! That's just as bad in my eyes. Some teenagers were vandalising a train the other week on my way home and I got up, told them that the transport was (expletive) bad enough without them making it worse and I could get them chucked off or they could sit down and shut up. They chose the latter and several people congratulated me as if I'd done something wonderful. Common sense to me but maybe I'm a true gobby Geordie!

The answer is more comfortable seats but on the National Helpless (Express) Liverpool Street to Cambridge line we're lucky to get doors that shut, heating and unbroken seats nevermind comfy ones!
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's an awful thing to do - not only is it dirty, but it shows the person has no respect for other people or property.
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    I think it's an awful thing to do - not only is it dirty, but it shows the person has no respect for other people or property.

But when the train companies don't - well National Express anyway - you can see why nobody else much does. In my train this morning I couldn't see through the window as it was so badly covered in graffitt, the seat next to me was damaged and the heating didn't work and I don't think any of the trains have been vacuumed or cleaned for years. Pride starts with the owners who clearly value money over passenger welfare.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only if its very empty and I have the whole carriage to myself (so basically on a night out), and I don't feel guilty. I would be embarrassed to do it when the train is full in the day though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    But when the train companies don't - well National Express anyway - you can see why nobody else much does. In my train this morning I couldn't see through the window as it was so badly covered in graffitt, the seat next to me was damaged and the heating didn't work and I don't think any of the trains have been vacuumed or cleaned for years. Pride starts with the owners who clearly value money over passenger welfare.

I can see your point but in South East rail, to be fair the trains are in good condition and are relatively clean and people still do it - I just think some people aren't terribly considerate - anyway summer is almost here (wishful thinking!!) so it might be time to get the bike out
  • JOEVILLEJOEVILLE Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it does, sometimes I think of jumping on their knees with both feet so that their legs fold back the wrong way.:mad::D
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all part of a wider agenda of (re-)learning to respect the public space. A respect we generally speaking used to have.

£80 on the spot fines for those cctv'd doing so would work wonders. Or maybe 20 hours community service, steam cleaning public transport seating.

If you wouldn't put your shod feet up on other people's sofas in their homes then don't do it on public seating.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I sit on the back seat of the bus where there are two seats facing one another and do this.
  • KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its bad manners and unhygenic, but so many people are so selfish and self centred and do as they please.
  • dean wellsdean wells Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should always put a plastic bag or something down so that your trousers dont pick up bacteria and germs from somebody else :D
  • fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member

It wasn't NE who put th graffiti on the window or damaged the seat. It was scummy passengers with no regard for anyone else's property, whether that's a bus or another passenger's coat.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there's a chance of someone standing in dog muck and putting it on a seat because they've put their feet up, no thank you.:eek:
  • LYNN(E)LYNN(E) Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was on a Nat Exp train a few weeks back & the driver actually requested that passengers kept their feet off the seats after he'd given the blurb when he left the first station. Needless to say none of the idiots took any notice !
    And also why do people need to eat curries, burgers etc on a 20minute journey & stink the carriage out
    Guess they think they're wasting time cleaning & getting rid of graffiti when it'd be back the next day
    Last time I went on one the floor was sticky with God knows what & the seats were ripped
    There should be a guard on every train like "the old" days
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Only if its very empty and I have the whole carriage to myself (so basically on a night out), and I don't feel guilty. I would be embarrassed to do it when the train is full in the day though.

Which says that you shouldn't be doing it then.
  • ajmanajman Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I've ever seen it happen although there is a big sign at the exit of Central Station in Glasgow that says "thank you for not putting your feet on the seats" so maybe there is some sort of weird brainwashing thing going on that I am unaware of and people just unknowingly obey.