BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did they always fill Sunday evenings with repeats from the week ? !
  • Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    No. Piennar's Politics has moved to the morning and they haven't replaced it with a new programme.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 54,008
    Forum Member
    Oh ffs :mad:

What's up?
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    There's always the repeat of Saturday's "Money Box" with Paul Lewis on Radio 4 (Sunday) from 2100 to 2130, which is always a good listen. Infinetly better than more VD Misery Hour (or two)
  • Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    I just switch to Talksport now when she comes on.

Me too -lack of listeners and alienating five live listeners will be her downfall.
    Forum Member

Suddenly I feel much better now that is off my chest!
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is just dead air.

I know there's cuts but they've just thrown the towel in .
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are right they have thrown the towel in repeating the poxy misery proramme from Derbyshire.
    Can I add to the suggestion of Money Box the Radio 4 Any Questions Round Britain quiz to be frank something that does not drag one down before the working week.
  • SJM978SJM978 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    So it seems the policy of repeating segments of previous weeks' programmes on a Sunday evening is a permanent one? I was hoping it was just for the duration of the party political conference season. If they need to fill up the schedule with repeats why not put them on earlier, and have the new/current programmes on in the evening instead?

Five Live seems to be giving up the ghost doesn't it...
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    I get fed up with him dragging NI issues into his programme all the time as well, it's just laziness !

As regards to late night listening. I've now bought a digital radio & either listen to BBC Radio 4 extra , or download podcasts from Radio 4 or Radio 5 interviews onto my MP3 player & listen to them instead.

This is the way to go, especially with podcasting, and you can go well beyond just BBC for some fabulous listens, some from ex-national radio presenters. I listen to Howard Hughes Unexplained for example, he brings a new "show" podcast out roughly every week to ten days or so, lasting an hour or so. The great thing with them is that it cuts out all the crap, and you get a lean 100% show, no adverts, no trailers, no travel news, no weather, none of it. All gone. Plus you can listen when you want when downloaded. If you have iTunes then the amount of podcasts available is staggering, and most are free.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid it can be the only option, but is it right that the radio stations people normally listen to, have got so bad they're forced to buy an MP3 player & download podcasts ? because that's why I bought mine .

The same goes for buying a digital radio , they're good, but we shouldn't be driven to such lengths.

There's probably lots of people who can't afford to do either :(
  • Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    We still can't get a good range of radio stations on DAB round here. They have just improved it, but now I understand LBC isn't on DAB any more. That is my main go-to station at night, but I have to listen on my iPhone.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Oh god, I left Radio 5 on when Derbyshire came on, she's got that awful Viki Pryce on and right off it's blaming men men are bad blah blah blah.

***click***
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, it's the fault of men and women should not be put in prison especially for short sentences. There's equality for you.
  • bobbydbobbyd Posts: 3,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are right they have thrown the towel in repeating the poxy misery proramme from Derbyshire.
    Can I add to the suggestion of Money Box the Radio 4 Any Questions Round Britain quiz to be frank something that does not drag one down before the working week.

Agreed. If they are going to do repeats why not do a pick of the week style show using the best of Rhod Sharp's Up All Night interviews from the previous week - a good way to finish the weekend imo.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobbyd wrote: »
    Agreed. If they are going to do repeats why not do a pick of the week style show using the best of Rhod Sharp's Up All Night interviews from the previous week - a good way to finish the weekend imo.

Yes, a repeat of Dr Carl (originally broadcast at 2am) would suffice - but no, the hard working and suffering listener gets a repeat of the Misery Hour from her ladyship.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's another 90 minute 'A look back at one of the big stories in the news this week' scheduled for next sunday from 8.30pm.

I'd prefer a repeat of Pienaar's politics or Sportsweek if they're going to go down that route.
  • Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ms Pryce came across as very very aloof & arrogant. I suppose that's because she is!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takes some doing not to be the most arrogant, aloof and superior Vicky on 5 live, but she succeeded.
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    I used to be 24/7 listener to the station before the move to Salford, but since the move I have the feeling I am listening to a regional radio station.

It is either that there has been an explosion of crime in the Manchester since the BBC move or they have been affected by their new location.

This with the Manchester or Northern Ireland bias of the evening shows, has found me looking elsewhere for my listening pleasures.
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Smarmy Bacon put an advert on "Drive" this afternoon for a feature he is presenting tomorrow called "Trust the BBC"

I suppose it depends how you say it.
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cantos wrote: »
    I used to be 24/7 listener to the station before the move to Salford, .

Bet you weren't. Did you ever sleep? :rolleyes:
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ms Pryce came across as very very aloof & arrogant. I suppose that's because she is!

This was the view of the most popular comments on the BBC website today as you can see at the link below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24516626

So Vicky Pryce had the run of the BBC today as she was on BBC Breakfast,the website and radios 4 and 5! Unless female ex-cons are going to be given such publicity regularly something is very wrong here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    This was the view of the most popular comments on the BBC website today as you can see at the link below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24516626

So Vicky Pryce had the run of the BBC today as she was on BBC Breakfast,the website and radios 4 and 5! Unless female ex-cons are going to be given such publicity regularly something is very wrong here.

She's probably being primed to take over from Stephanie Flanders.
    Forum Member
    Oh god, I left Radio 5 on when Derbyshire came on, she's got that awful Viki Pryce on and right off it's blaming men men are bad blah blah blah.

***click***

We just don't need them on this station? Now 9 hours later they are playing sections of the interview as a news item. I just wish those in control would read and take on board the true wishes of the Five Live audience and get her off the airways.
This discussion has been closed.