Options

VM channel numbers a royal mess

Will there ever be a more logical number order for channels?

It's tops that all the new channels are added, but a bit daft that they are placed so far away from their counterparts.

Please can VM re-jig,

Comments

• Options
    Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fully agree

they have it about right with

National Geographic 230
    National Geographic +1 231
    National Geographic HD 232

then they mix it up with

Animal Planet 216
    Animal Planet HD 217
    Animal Planet +1 218

and then they go nuts with

Syfy 135
    Syfy +1 136
    Syfy HD 165

sure it takes time but it makes sense having them all close to each other
  • Options
    JeliteJelite Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no point asking here, send them an email, tweet them, start a thread on the VM forums.
  • Options
    Jameseh.Jameseh. Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Try using Sky, you'd have a heart attack.
  • Options
    BSCBSC Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Jameseh. wrote: »
    Try using Sky, you'd have a heart attack.
    It confused the hell outta me when I used Sky+HD at my aunty's house! :eek: The only saving grace was the HD EPG channel number swap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    We've had VM for a year and a half and I still can't remember most of the channel numbers I usually watch.
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    bassebuwa wrote: »
    We've had VM for a year and a half and I still can't remember most of the channel numbers I usually watch.

Place the channels you watch most frequently into the "Favourite channels" folder of the channel guide (accessed though the Settings menu).

Thereafter, you can access the current and upcoming schedule for your favourite channels with a couple of button presses (initially via the "Guide" button) and select the channel you want to view from there. No need for channel numbers at all.

This is the method that I use on my Tivo and if I recall correctly, it should work with V+ and V boxes too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    i agree with you take a look at where BBC two Hd is when BBC one hd

BBC ONE 101
    BBC TWO 102
    BBC THREE 106
    BBC FOUR 107
    BBC ONE HD 108
    BBC TWO HD 187
    BBC ALBA 188
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you imagine the headache at VM HQ if they tried to re-arrage it all. Countless channels bitching that they don't want to move and/or deserve a better slot. :rolleyes:

It will need doing eventually though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you imagine the headache at VM HQ if they tried to re-arrage it all. Countless channels bitching that they don't want to move and/or deserve a better slot. :rolleyes:

It will need doing eventually though.

well its not rocket science and I really don't care what numbers they use just as long as there is some logic to it.

its just a shame the end user cant renumber the channels ' to suit ourselves '
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Jelite wrote: »
    There's no point asking here, send them an email, tweet them, start a thread on the VM forums.

I agree. We have to tell VM,
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wbc-Worker wrote: »
    well its not rocket science and I really don't care what numbers they use just as long as there is some logic to it.

On analogue you could re-arrange the numbers!

BUT you cam make a list by making them 'favourites':cool:
  • Options
    dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it were me I'd do something like this

BBC ONE 101
    BBC TWO 102
    ITV 103
    CHANNEL FOUR 104
    CHANNEL 5 105
    BBC ONE HD 201
    BBC TWO HD 202
    ITV HD 203
    CHANNEL FOUR HD 204
    CHANNEL 5 HD 205

Simply put all the HD channels in the 200 bracket and keep the last two digits the same as the SD channel

Of course you'd have to reorganise all the other channels because of this but they need doing anyway
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On analogue you could re-arrange the numbers!

BUT you cam make a list by making them 'favourites':cool:

funny enough I knew that but if they are not clustered together it still means having to hunt for them

look at Albi - 130 - 131 and then it jumps to 200

or Watch - 124 -125 and then it jumps to 191

so where is the sense in that ?
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its not rocket science no, but any EPG number movement would have to be agreed by the broadcaster.

It would leave arguments all over the shop by broadcasters whos channels are going higher up.
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member

It's tops that all the new channels are added, but a bit daft that they are placed so far away from their counterparts.

Please can VM re-jig,

I prefer this line up myself

001 BBC1
    002 BBC2
    003 ITV
    004 Channel 4
    005 Channel 5
    006 Local TV or BBC3
    007 Local TV 2 or BBC4 or BBC3 if you only have one Local TV channel where you live
    008 BBC 3 or ITV2 if there is no Local TV channel where you live or BBC4 if there is only one Local TV channel where you live
    009 BBC4 or ITV3 if there is no Local TV channel where you live
    010 ITV2 or ITV4
    011 ITV3 or Sky 1
    012 ITV4 or Sky 2
    013 Sky 1 or Sky Living
    014 Sky 2 or Sky Living +
    015 Sky Living or Sky Living It
    016 Sky Living + Sky Living It +
    017 Sky Living It or TLC
    018 Sky Living It + or TLC +
    019 TLC for areas that have Local TV channels
    020 TLC + for areas that have Local TV channels

EPG Slots 101-105 then can be used for the rest of the pay TV channels

HD channels would replace the SD versions if practical if not they would be at the end of the Content Genre sections ie EPG Slots 190-299 or 540-550 for Sports for example

For example
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Its not rocket science no, but any EPG number movement would have to be agreed by the broadcaster.

It would leave arguments all over the shop by broadcasters whos channels are going higher up.

well I really dont care what the broadcasters think as its the end user that is paying
    for the service.

sure they will never get a system to suit everyone but there has to be some logic in the numbers
    and just now we have

Animal Planet 216
    Animal Planet HD 217
    Animal Planet +1 218

and then

Eden 208
    Eden +1 209
    Eden HD 210

so this does not make any sense at all

does not matter if the HD channel is listed before the +1 channel just as long as they all clustered the same way

so why not have

Eden 208
    Eden HD 209
    Eden +1 210

then at least it follows the same convention as most of the others.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well I really dont care what the broadcasters think as its the end user that is paying
    for the service.

But if the Broadcasters dont like the changes, they can pull there channels, leaving you with no content. Hence why there hasnt been an EPG shake up yet.

Hence why MTV is before MTV HD and Comedy Central HD got moved up. Everyone has access to the SD so they put the SD channels higher up the EPG. If Virgin then said "Well we will put MTV higher up the EPG so that Comedy Central HD and +1 are next to the main channel" then Viacom could have turned around and said "well then you wont get MTV HD, Nick HD, MTV Music and all the other channels we were going to give you"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if the Broadcasters dont like the changes, they can pull there channels, leaving you with no content. Hence why there hasnt been an EPG shake up yet.
    Your missing the point

why is it mixed up sometimes its the +1 in the middle and other times its the HD channel in the middle

I am not interested in politics its bloody knowing where the channels are so Virgin should stick to one method.

does not matter to me where they are as long as I can find them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    fully agree

they have it about right with

National Geographic 230
    National Geographic +1 231
    National Geographic HD 232

then they mix it up with

Animal Planet 216
    Animal Planet HD 217
    Animal Planet +1 218

and then they go nuts with

Syfy 135
    Syfy +1 136
    Syfy HD 165

sure it takes time but it makes sense having them all close to each other

I think the HD channels shold come first..
    ie
    Animal planet HD
    animal planet
    animal planet+1

virgin media adverting HD into a BIG THING!!
    they mite as well put the HD channels FIRST
    it makes sence
  • Options
    Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psouth wrote: »
    I think the HD channels shold come first..
    ie
    Animal planet HD
    animal planet
    animal planet+1

virgin media adverting HD into a BIG THING!!
    they mite as well put the HD channels FIRST
    it makes sence

Or put the SD/HD channel on the same number and be able to press the blue button to jump between SD and HD if you have HD in your package
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hence why MTV is before MTV HD and Comedy Central HD got moved up. Everyone has access to the SD so they put the SD channels higher up the EPG. If Virgin then said "Well we will put MTV higher up the EPG so that Comedy Central HD and +1 are next to the main channel" then Viacom could have turned around and said "well then you wont get MTV HD, Nick HD, MTV Music and all the other channels we were going to give you"

Then you just say back to them go tell the companies that pay for ads to be on your channel they will have 3 million less potential viewers :p