Options

giant whale sawed into pieces at a Chinese market while STILL ALIVE

Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
Forum Member
It is a fate too cruel to imagine - to be slowly sawed into pieces while still alive.

But this was how a whale shark met its end in China recently as its meat was butchered in front of a huge crowd to be sold at market.

The sickening scene was captured on camera and the video was uploaded to Youtube - sparking outrage among animal rights activists and shark groups who have labelled the footage 'appalling'.

In the 20-second clip, two men go to work on the shark with a giant crosscut saw - starting by chopping off its majestic tail fin.

They continue to work their way upwards, butchering giant strips of the animal, a species listed as vulnerable.

As blood and water streams from the shark, the person filming the scene moves closer - revealing a gill clearly still struggling to breathe.

The whale shark's mouth is seen twitching as the butchers continue to chop it into pieces.
The distressed animal's gargantuan mouth then opens widely as people point and comment on the fact that it's still alive.

About 20 people, including young children, are watching the butchery - and some gasp in horror saying: 'This is too cruel.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3187827/Shocking-footage-shows-giant-whale-shark-sawed-pieces-sold-Chinese-market-ALIVE.html#ixzz3i8bUpcBV
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

What is wrong with our race, Jesus.

Comments

• Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be for the Vera Lynn special, whale meat again
  • Options
    TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was horrid to watch. I just don't get some folk.
  • Options
    pjc229pjc229 Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that it really matters... but that's a shark, not a whale.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horrific. What the hell was the need?

But a few points: that's a shark, not a whale meaning its a fish, not a mammal. It doesn't breathe air at all.
    The Daily Mail's claim that it was struggling to breathe is false because a) it doesn't breathe air, it extracts oxygen from the water via gills and b) whale sharks are ram ventilators meaning they cannot pump water through their gills; they must move continuously so there is a continuous flow of water through their gills. otherwise they suffocate.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks pretty horrific, but in reality the fish we eat over here don't have a nice death. Either the fish die of asphyxiation when hauled out of the water or they die of exhaustion trying to out swim the trawler nets.
    That the whale shark is an endangered species is a concern though:(
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »

Absolutely disgusting and a disgrace. This is why I will never visit China the animal rights abuses there are abhorrent. Thankfully attitudes are beginning to change and young people are beginning to treat animals with respect.
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Absolutely disgusting and a disgrace. This is why I will never visit China the animal rights abuses there are abhorrent. Thankfully attitudes are beginning to change and young people are beginning to treat animals with respect.

I agree with this.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjc229 wrote: »
    Not that it really matters... but that's a shark, not a whale.

That does matter as fish can't breath air. They all gasp and die when we land them.

I think they should wait for that to happen before carving then up but I feel a bit hypocritical as I love crab and lobster and I wouldn't chose to be boiled to death.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That does matter as fish can't breath air. They all gasp and die when we land them.

I think they should wait for that to happen before carving then up but I feel a bit hypocritical as I love crab and lobster and I wouldn't chose to be boiled to death.

I think it is very cruel what they do to lobsters I remember being a young boy in Portugal on holiday and going to a restaurant and people picking which lobster they wanted to eat. They should at least freeze the lobsters and crabs first before boiling them.
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it with these people? Savages!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is very cruel what they do to lobsters I remember being a young boy in Portugal on holiday and going to a restaurant and people picking which lobster they wanted to eat. They should at least freeze the lobsters and crabs first before boiling them.
    I think so too. But they taste so good...
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

is being frozen nice for a lobster? I wouldn't like it myself.
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Japan isn't much better from what I've seen on youtube
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mudbox wrote: »
    is being frozen nice for a lobster? I wouldn't like it myself.

It's not but at least they are in a deep sleep and less likely to feel the extreme pain of being boiled.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how you could dispatch a fish that big, you'd need a pretty big gun.

I steam shellfish when still alive, I've even eaten fresh raw oysters when still alive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed the recent whale slaughter was disgusting. How can anyone massacre gentle innocent Dolphins too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some of the Scandinavian nations, which seem to be so highly regarded on this forum, are the worst when it comes to massacring whales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how you could dispatch a fish that big, you'd need a pretty big gun.

I steam shellfish when still alive, I've even eaten fresh raw oysters when still alive.

Damn. I forgot those and mussels. People in glass houses etc.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    I agree with this.

Your views are hypocritical. You may not visit China, yet I bet you are quite happy to buy tech and clothes made in China. Your shiny apple/android phone is made in China. The computer you use was more than likely made in China (or bits of it were).

Its quite easy to say you will never visit China, as you would probably never visit China anyway. But will you give up your tech? I doubt it very much.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    China has an appalling animal welfare record..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    duffsdad wrote: »

Yeah, but they make great tech. So we will overlook the animal welfare record...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    Your views are hypocritical. You may not visit China, yet I bet you are quite happy to buy tech and clothes made in China. Your shiny apple/android phone is made in China. The computer you use was more than likely made in China (or bits of it were).

Its quite easy to say you will never visit China, as you would probably never visit China anyway. But will you give up your tech? I doubt it very much.

I boycott Korean goods because they eat cat and dogs. I will never buy a Kia.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »

Stop bloody moaning, Judas, I told you it was a three legged one and we're winning!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I boycott Korean goods because they eat cat and dogs. I will never buy a Kia.

Like you would have bought one anyway. You going to give up your smartphone, tv or computer? Nah didnt think so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »

It also has a higher proportion of vegetarians than Europe, including the UK, does.