PlayTV crashing PS3

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
Forum Member
✭✭
Just trying to start up PlayTV but it keeps freezing on the PlayTV start up screen. I press the PS button on the controller and choose qiut but my PS3 restarts completely. Thia has happened 3 times now. It was working fine earlier. Its a Slim PS3 about 15 months old so out of warranty.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: It was originally a 120gb console that I bought about a week after they launched the slim if thats any help.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get it with any regularity, but it happens occasionally (never three times in a row mind). It's usually if I have been playing Fallout or something for hours before hand and then go straight to PlayTV without quitting the game. Hope it's nothing serious mate!
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This may be a long shot, but last night my PlayTV didn't turn on automatically to record my scheduled programs, it's the first time it's ever done that. Probably just a coincidence, but possibly there's something in it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had to reinstall it but I've lost everything I'd recorded doing so.
  • cuttlefishspikecuttlefishspike Posts: 5,761
    Forum Member
    I've had to reinstall it but I've lost everything I'd recorded doing so.

I had exactly the same problem today.

I called Playstation Support and they said they have had no other calls about this problem. They said the only solution would be to reinstall from the disk, which does of course wipe all the recordings.

I have done this and it is now working but I've lost over 100g of recordings. Not happy.:mad:
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May not be related to your problem, my PS3 doesn't freeze when booting up PlayTV but since I unplugged it from my PS3 I've had no freezing while playing games.

Games freezing were becoming more regular but its eased off now, very strange.

I'm going to reinstall PlayTV from the disc I think and avoid updating if I can.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't had any games freeze only PlayTV would freeze starting up. I also had about 100gb of stuff recorded which is now gone :mad:
  • cuttlefishspikecuttlefishspike Posts: 5,761
    Forum Member
    Looks like this could be an ongoing problem. Maybe best to export anything you have recently recorded and want to keep to your hard drive rather than relying on Playtv for the moment.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Media/NEW-Playtv-Update-2-02/td-p/11987660/page/4
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    I have had to start using it on PC now with media center so much better series link no crashes . I had to modifie the drivers that are gonging the internet as they would not work with media center without problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like this could be an ongoing problem. Maybe best to export anything you have recently recorded and want to keep to your hard drive rather than relying on Playtv for the moment.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Media/NEW-Playtv-Update-2-02/td-p/11987660/page/4

I would but it doesn't export subtitles :(
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've removed my PlayTV and deleted the software, don't trust it anymore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine has been working as normal, but I didn't ever update the software, has this anything to do with it?
  • cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't had any games freeze only PlayTV would freeze starting up. I also had about 100gb of stuff recorded which is now gone :mad:

Looking at the posts here so far, It may be the 100gb size of the library of recorded programs that is the issue. PlayTV has not crashed on me, but my library rarely exceeds 5gb.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cribology wrote: »
    Looking at the posts here so far, It may be the 100gb size of the library of recorded programs that is the issue. PlayTV has not crashed on me, but my library rarely exceeds 5gb.

I think its to do with the update from reading the official PS forums. It was over 100gbs for ages before the update but since the update seems alot of people have been having the same issue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hi
    I'm having trouble with my PlayTV, it will not get past the startup screen and causes the PS3 to reset if I try and quit out of it.
    I have the latest version of the software.
    This happened a couple of weeks ago and I had to delete the settings, which wiped all my saved programs and settings, I think it was because there was so many, over 100gb. But this time, I hardly have anything.
    Has anyone else had any issues with this, or know of any fixes?
    I've had a look about and one suggestion was to try loading it with the USB unplugged, but this hasn't helped me at all.

thanks guys
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only way I could fix it was to reinstall it which wipes all the recordings.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems as though the new software update really is a poisoned chalice. Doesn't affect me as I didn't update, but it is totally disgraceful that Sony have not attempted to issue a fix.
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    i get

in game / play tv etc..

select bbciplayer thru xmb, this freezes the ps3 having to turn off / on again? have to quit the app, then start the iplayer to avoid
  • Little-IanLittle-Ian Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lost all my recordings over Christmas. :(

Had to reinstall from the disc.
  • SmoothySmoothy Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    The Register has put up an article.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reg Hardware contacted Sony for a comment on the problem, and was told: “We are aware of the issues some PlayTV users are currently experiencing. We will fix these issues through future updates.”

So basically they are saying "we know it don't work for some people but tough we'll fix it when we can be bothered."

Cheers Sony :rolleyes:
  • emmetmclemmetmcl Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This actually happened to me just yesterday.

Had to re-install it.

And I can't avoid updating as you need the update for it to work in Ireland.
  • emmetmclemmetmcl Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has there been any update from Sony on PlayTV?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My PlayTV now crashes quite regularly on the guide. I have still avoided the latest update - are there still lots of problems with it?
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    sbds1 wrote: »
    My PlayTV now crashes quite regularly on the guide. I have still avoided the latest update - are there still lots of problems with it?

The latest update (like a year ago at least?) fixed most of the issues with v2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The latest update (like a year ago at least?) fixed most of the issues with v2.

Took the plunge recently but still freezes on the guide regularly :(