Options

What is the creepiest thing to have ever happened to you?

Comments

• Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    I don't think loskav meant he expected this to happen in the outside world, in the room where he happens to be. I think he meant more along the lines depicted in the link below.

That's exactly what I meant. And that's the exact scary-face-story I was thinking of! :D:o (and it's she :p )
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    los.kav wrote: »
    That's exactly what I meant. And that's the exact scary-face-story I was thinking of! :D:o (and it's she :p )

Ah, 'He is a she' to paraphrase Lou Reed! Sorry for my wrong presumption. I'm not sure what made me assume you were 'he', to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah, 'He is a she' to paraphrase Lou Reed! Sorry for my wrong presumption. I'm not sure what made me assume you were 'he', to be honest.

I think the word 'los' is masculine. In retrospect, I should have used 'la' or something else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    Very long thread, so apologies if this has been asked before ..... but, why, in instances of sleep paralysis do the majority of people feel the same sensation of the 'old hag' syndrome?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rehtorbgib wrote: »
    Very long thread, so apologies if this has been asked before ..... but, why, in instances of sleep paralysis do the majority of people feel the same sensation of the 'old hag' syndrome?

Because during REM sleep, the brain shuts down your limbs to stop you from acting out your dreams while unconscious. So if you wake in the middle of an REM sleep (where you are dreaming), your body is still shut down and it takes a few seconds for it to start back up again. Because you're still effectively in a dream state, time can stretch to make it seem longer when it's really only a few seconds.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    My mum just woke me about half an hour ago to tell me there was definitely someone just been in the room! Cheers mum! Good thing I ain't easily spooked lol
  • Options
    TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dekkard wrote: »
    I came across the below story on Reddit and it is hands down the creepiest thing I have ever read. The guy had only mentioned it to one other person before he took the plunge and posted it.

About five years ago I lived downtown in a major city.....

I love reading the posts on this thread but this one really freaked me out! :eek: I think it's because it starts off so ordinary and it's easy to imagine yourself in a similar situation.
    Keep them coming!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    What is the scariest story in here so far?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I had a prostate exam and the doctor somehow managed to keep both his hands on my shoulders whilst he performed the procedure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dweston76 wrote: »
    What is the scariest story in here so far?

I found these two of the creepiest, from the point of view of imagining how they would be to experience.
    Doll Feet wrote: »
    I'm reluctant to post this one and am going to leave the odder details out, but maybe your friend is just the person to ask.

Summer '81 I was in Piccadilly Circus and was quite distressed. A couple approached me, were sympathetic to what had happened and offered to take me for a coffee. We were right by a coffee shop but the woman said she knew a cafe in Piccadilly tube station so down we went, the entrance opposite The Regent Palace Hotel, and there was this little cafe tucked away right next to the stairs.

We were the only customers, there was a waitress in a pink gingham 50's costume and an old woman at one end behind a counter on which there was a strange Heath Robinson contraption made of copper. I couldn't work out what the hell it was, it stretched the length of the counter, and I felt very unnerved by the old woman who stared intently at me the whole time we were there. Everything about her seemed to be gray.

Something strange happened (sorry to be so vague but this is very personal) and I ran out of the cafe, up the stairs and straight into the arms of my boyfriend who I'd been looking for. The couple came out after me and the woman spoke to my boyfriend, said she was relieved I'd found him and commented on how odd the strange thing that had happened was.

A couple of years later I was in Piccadilly tube station with a friend and remembered the cafe, reflected on how I'd been up and down the stairs opposite The Regent Palace Hotel countless times and never so much as glanced at it, which was odd considering what had happened there. I asked the friend if he fancied a coffee and we headed for the cafe.

It wasn't there. He said there'd never been a cafe there and I argued that there had been, it must have been bricked over...until he pointed out that the wall tiles were original and had been there since the station was built.

We checked every entrance to the station even though I knew for a fact which entrance it had been next to. The only thing resembling a cafe was the snack bar in the ticket hall. I was so distressed that my friend stopped a guard and asked if there used to be a cafe down there. The guard said no.

I've since read several accounts of people visiting cafes/restaurants and later finding that they didn't exist. Maybe your friend could shed some light on this Andie. I'd be very happy to hear that that cafe did exist in '81 - but given the things I'm not comfortable discussing I wouldn't bet on it.
    I was around 17/18 at the time and living at home with the parents. I had got in from work around 5pm during the summer, so was still light outside. I was peckish so put a frozen shepherds pie in the oven, I remember looking at the clock as I did this and it was 5:15pm..................cut to a few seconds after I put the pie in the oven and it was dark outside and the fire alarm was going off.

After stopping the alarm, I looked at the clock and it was 8:30pm and my pie was charcoal. To me it was as if I blinked and it had changed from light to dark and my pie had burnt in 2 seconds.

Nobody had come in during this time as they were on shifts and working late. I phoned my mum in a freak, as to this day I cannot recall what had happened in that 3 1/2 hours:confused:

It's never happened since, but still scares me. A lot of people say maybe I had blacked out or something, but I don't have any history of this? strange....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also this one.
    meroko wrote: »
    I went on holiday to Prague back in 2005. My then boyfriend and I decided that we wanted to visit Terezen or Theresienstadt as it's more commonly known, the famous Czech military prison and concentration camp from WW2. We didn't go on a tour, we got ourselves there on local transport. The concentration camp itself was split into two - the part where the jewish prisoners lived and died and then there was a seperate military prison down the road. The jewish part was terribly sad and I thought that was the part that would affect me the most, I felt like crying coming out of there, there was a very dense atmosphere, but that wasn't where I felt or saw anything out of the ordinary.

The military prison was far less "kept". It really wasn't marketed as such as a tourist or heritage attraction and you could just wander in and out of the cells and touch all the beds and water troughs and utensils that were still there. There were no signs or anything telling you what was there until you got to the museum, which explained things in retrospect, so tbh, I was just roaming a bit and not really thinking about what I was seeing. My boyfriend was getting a bit bored and so he left me poking about. I went into one cell and brushed past a wall with my hand as I entered and all of a sudden, it was like I was there but somewhere else? The lighting changed, there was suddenly more utensils and things and I clear as day saw a man in what looked like pajamas sat on a spindle chair in the middle of the room with another man bent over, doing something to his hair. I just felt an overwhelming sense of fear and then as if it never happened, I was in the cell by myself again.

When I went to look at the museum, I read that in that particular block of cells were the prisoners that were captured after the siege of Prague and that they were particularly badly treated and tortured and it sent an absolute chill down my spine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Ingenue wrote: »
    Just read this one on the reddit link, and it genuinely sent shivers down my spine.

"THE MAN OUTSIDE
    A young girl was home alone watching TV on a cold winter night. The TV was right beside a glass door, and the blinds were open. She looked over and saw a man staring back at her with a weird smile through the glass! She screamed and panicked and then grabbed her cell phone and pulled her blanket over her head so that the man couldn't see her dialing 911. She was so scared that she kept the blanket over her head until the police got there. They ran inside to find her still safe. It was snowing a lot that day. So the police looked for footprints first. But there were no footprints to be found. Puzzled, the police went back inside the house. That's when they discovered wet footprints on the floor leading up to the couch where the girl was still sitting, that came from the back door of the house. The officers looked at each other nervously but also relieved. Then one of them asked if she forgot to lock the back door. To her horror she realized that she did. "Miss, you are very lucky," one of the officers finally said to her. "Why," she asked. "Because," he told her, "the man wasn't outside at all as you may have thought. He was in here, standing right behind the couch! "What you saw in the window was his reflection!"

OH MY HOLY F******************!!!! :eek::eek::eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe a neighbour likes to play it to their kid to try to get them back to sleep and it's interfering with the baby monitor? :confused::D

I could tell you about a billion stories re: baby monitors
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Right Im off to bed... you guys have scared the shite out me. But thanks for sharing,,, keep em coming
  • Options
    jannajanna Posts: 7,323
    Forum Member
    Jenbonjovi wrote: »
    Clearly they do.

I love this thread, the story someone posted a while ago about going to their bed and switching everything off in the living room then saying 'go away' to the darkened room and hearing a voice say 'no' back still gives me the creeps before bed every night! :eek:
    Similar happened to my sister !:eek: Too late to post it now. Be back tomorrow maybe.
  • Options
    Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Love this thread, though for the past week or so the only time I've noticed it was quite late at night. Glad I got to catch up this morning (no way in the world will I read this in the night as it'll stop me ever leaving my bed in the dark..... toilet be damned:o )

Thank you all for posting :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was around 17/18 at the time and living at home with the parents. I had got in from work around 5pm during the summer, so was still light outside. I was peckish so put a frozen shepherds pie in the oven, I remember looking at the clock as I did this and it was 5:15pm..................cut to a few seconds after I put the pie in the oven and it was dark outside and the fire alarm was going off.

After stopping the alarm, I looked at the clock and it was 8:30pm and my pie was charcoal. To me it was as if I blinked and it had changed from light to dark and my pie had burnt in 2 seconds.

Nobody had come in during this time as they were on shifts and working late. I phoned my mum in a freak, as to this day I cannot recall what had happened in that 3 1/2 hours:confused:

It's never happened since, but still scares me. A lot of people say maybe I had blacked out or something, but I don't have any history of this? strange....

This one can actually be explained. I have to dig out the magazine, but I remember reading a scientist explaining about this because it happened to him. He went outside to fix up his old bicycle for his son, who had just got his first job and needed transport, spent about an hour doing it, went back inside his house and had absolutely no recollection of completing the job. It does have a name, and if I'm remembering correctly it's a small form of a stroke that has no lasting damage on people, and it's used by the scientific community to explain the 'missing time' phenomena associated with UFOs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    I read through some of the original comments on reddit as I was a little sceptical as you say because it was so well written, but the person was sticking to his guns. Who knows whether it's true or not. The thread had the title of scariest non supernatural event to happen to you. Which makes it even more weird. Just to make things weirder their are two other non related :eek:stories on there both featuring waltzing men, spooky
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dekkard wrote: »
    I came across the below story on Reddit and it is hands down the creepiest thing I have ever read. The guy had only mentioned it to one other person before he took the plunge and posted it.

About five years ago I lived downtown in a major city in the US. I've always been a night person, so I would often find myself bored after my roommate, who was decidedly not a night person, went to sleep. To pass the time, I used to go for long walks and spend the time thinking.
    I spent four years like that, walking alone at night, and never once had a reason to feel afraid. I always used to joke with my roommate that even the drug dealers in the city were polite. But all of that changed in just a few minutes of one evening.
    It was a Wednesday, somewhere between one and two in the morning, and I was walking near a police patrolled park quite a ways from my apartment. It was a quiet night, even for a week night, with very little traffic and almost no one on foot. The park, as it was most nights, was completely empty.
    I turned down a short side street in order to loop back to my apartment when I first noticed him. At the far end of the street, on my side, was the silhouette of a man, dancing. It was a strange dance, similar to a waltz, but he finished each "box" with an odd forward stride. I guess you could say he was dance-walking, headed straight for me.
    Deciding he was probably drunk, I stepped as close as I could to the road to give him the majority of the sidewalk to pass me by. The closer he got, the more I realized how gracefully he was moving. He was very tall and lanky, and wearing an old suit. He danced closer still, until I could make out his face. His eyes were open wide and wild, head tilted back slightly, looking off at the sky. His mouth was formed in a painfully wide cartoon of a smile. Between the eyes and the smile, I decided to cross the street before he danced any closer.
    I took my eyes off of him to cross the empty street. As I reached the other side, I glanced back... and then stopped dead in my tracks. He had stopped dancing and was standing with one foot in the street, perfectly parallel to me. He was facing me but still looking skyward. Smile still wide on his lips.
    ?I was completely and utterly unnerved by this. I started walking again, but kept my eyes on the man. He didn't move.
    Once I had put about half a block between us, I turned away from him for a moment to watch the sidewalk in front of me. The street and sidewalk ahead of me were completely empty. Still unnerved, I looked back to where he had been standing to find him gone. For the briefest of moments I felt relieved, until I noticed him. He had crossed the street, and was now slightly crouched down. I couldn't tell for sure due to the distance and the shadows, but I was certain he was facing me. I had looked away from him for no more than 10 seconds, so it was clear that he had moved fast.
    I was so shocked that I stood there for some time, staring at him. And then he started moving toward me again. He took giant, exaggerated tip toed steps, as if he were a cartoon character sneaking up on someone. Except he was moving very, very quickly.
    I'd like to say at this point I ran away or pulled out my pepper spray or my cellphone or anything at all, but I didn't. I just stood there, completely frozen as the smiling man crept toward me.
    And then he stopped again, about a car length away from me. Still smiling his smile, still looking to the sky.
    When I finally found my voice, I blurted out the first thing that came to mind. What I meant to ask was, "What the **** do you want?!" in an angry, commanding tone. What came out was a whimper, "What the fuu…?"
    Regardless of whether or not humans can smell fear, they can certainly hear it. I heard it in my own voice, and that only made me more afraid. But he didn't react to it at all. He just stood there, smiling.
    And then, after what felt like forever, he turned around, very slowly, and started dance-walking away. Just like that. Not wanting to turn my back to him again, I just watched him go, until he was far enough away to almost be out of sight. And then I realized something. He wasn't moving away anymore, nor was he dancing. I watched in horror as the distant shape of him grew larger and larger. He was coming back my way. And this time he was running.
    I ran too.
    I ran until I was off of the side road and back onto a better lit road with sparse traffic. Looking behind me then, he was nowhere to be found. The rest of the way home, I kept glancing over my shoulder, always expecting to see his stupid smile, but he was never there.
    I lived in that city for six months after that night, and I never went out for another walk. There was something about his face that always haunted me. He didn't look drunk, he didn't look high. He looked completely and utterly insane. And that's a very, very scary thing to see.

That gave me chills :eek::eek:

Have you got a link to the original post on Reddit?
  • Options
    jessmumjessmum Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a prostate exam and the doctor somehow managed to keep both his hands on my shoulders whilst he performed the procedure.

:D lol
  • Options
    Doll FeetDoll Feet Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This one can actually be explained. I have to dig out the magazine, but I remember reading a scientist explaining about this because it happened to him. He went outside to fix up his old bicycle for his son, who had just got his first job and needed transport, spent about an hour doing it, went back inside his house and had absolutely no recollection of completing the job. It does have a name, and if I'm remembering correctly it's a small form of a stroke that has no lasting damage on people, and it's used by the scientific community to explain the 'missing time' phenomena associated with UFOs.

Unless the scientific community can explain how people in multiple witness accounts manage to synchronise their mini-strokes so that they all lose the same amount of time and regain consciousness simultaneously it's not the most well thought out of explanations.
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OH MY HOLY F******************!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

couldn't have put it better myself ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But the implication was that the OP had just stood in a trance by the oven for three hours, rather than forgetting something they had just done. Would a mini-stroke have that effect, or would you not collapse?
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    Thought I'd share a creepy(ish) experience my sister had shortly after moving into her new home (this was twelve or thirteen years ago and she's since moved again, but something about the oddness of it all really struck me!)

She and her new husband moved into the house (relatively new-build, overlooking a primary school) in August 2000 (I think- I was very young then!), and settled in very quickly.
    During the course of the autumn however, when the leaves had started falling off the trees, they'd wake up in the morning and see a pile of leaves in the middle of the patio, with a rake in the middle. This happened a few times, and both to this day swear blind they have no idea who did it.

Unrelated (but at the same house), in 2005 my nephew was born, and my sister gave up work for a time to look after him. Her husband works in the city and is sometimes out until 8 or 9 in the evening. My sister was sat nursing my nephew one evening when she heard a frantic knock at the door, followed by somebody trying to open the (locked) front door. This unnerved her, but happened again a few days later. The final straw came when she was sat in the living room and several sharp taps came on the (blinds firmly shut) windows. She never found out who it was doing it, but it only happened on a handful of occasions and they moved out shortly after.

As I say, neither were particularly creepy, but fit into the "odd" end of the thread spectrum!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bump.
This discussion has been closed.