sky broadband issues - slow and router keeps cutting out

anna42hmranna42hmr Posts: 2,803
Forum Member
✭✭✭
can any one help, for the past few months we have had issues with our sky broadband connection, It is getting slower on a regular basis and is less than half the speed that sky claim we should have for our area (birmingham).

It also cuts off on regular basis. we have to restart the router at least every couple of days and is a pain. (its a sky issued Segem router)

Tried new microfilshes, changing broadband channel and even connecting via ethernet to check the speeds and no use, phone tests have been done. have got fed up with calling sky about this, and even at there request unscrewed the phone socket to move the microfilsh to the internal phone slot etc.

Also ironically since being on the phone to them again last night it as dropped download speed even further!!

Would a new router help with the speed and the relability? we are coming to the end of our tether now with this, and are really considering moving everything we have elsewhere, we pay a lot to sky and get no help when have any issues. It is frustrating that years of loyalty means nothing, especially as we have the full tv package, multiroom, broadband and talk with them. Just cant understand why they will give out the new hub routers to new customers but not to existing loyal customers who are clearly having issues with the router that they have now, if i went elsewhere would get a new one for free.

This is the information we have from the router stats:

ADSL Firmware Version A2pB023o.d20h

Modem Status Up

DownStream Connection Speed 5792

UpStream Connection Speed 796

firmware version is 2.8Sky

it states the noise margin downstream is 8.8 db and upstream is 9.5db

for the line attenuation it is saying downstream is 32.0db and upstream is saying 15.6db

Comments

• rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I right in thinking that Sky are a bit weird in that they insist you use their router? If so I'd speak to cancellations.

If that's not right and any old suitable router will do then maybe just go and buy a new one.

How much is a sky router btw, £30?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Assuming everything in your post is correct, and you have tried the Test Socket there is only one fix to this and that is to call your ISP, ask them to get is fixed and be FIRM with them.

The chances of a new router fixing this are slim to none.

BTW Sky do not claim a speed for Birmingham because such a claim is not possible.
  • anna42hmranna42hmr Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rjb101 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that Sky are a bit weird in that they insist you use their router? If so I'd speak to cancellations.

If that's not right and any old suitable router will do then maybe just go and buy a new one.

How much is a sky router btw, £30?

yeah they do insist on your own, not sure how much the standard routers are now from them we got this one free when we joined, but now trying to flog us one of their new "hub" ones at I think it was around £69! we may have to speak to cancellations if it doesn't work this time!
  • anna42hmranna42hmr Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assuming everything in your post is correct, and you have tried the Test Socket there is only one fix to this and that is to call your ISP, ask them to get is fixed and be FIRM with them.

The chances of a new router fixing this are slim to none.

BTW Sky do not claim a speed for Birmingham because such a claim is not possible.

sorry didn't phrases it well, meant to say that they stated we would be able to based on distance to the exchange? and the phone line etc. (stated we would get around11500- 12500kbps)

We are getting half what they said we would do when we took the contract out (was good when we first went onto there broadband but has been getting worse, its the unreliability that makes it worse as we have to reset the router so frequently its insane.

We have been on to them again today, and apparently an engineer will be looking into it and calling us in a few days (though I am not holding my breath!!)
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    A friend has had a similar problem with Talktalk slow internet about half of what it should be and many disconnections. Talktalk have sent him a new router and it seems to have sorted out the disconnection problem, the speed has risen slightly but he was told that it would be up to 10 days to get full speed, he's on day 3.
    So it is possible the router is the cause if you have no noise on the line and there is no difference plugged into the test socket.
    Sky may not like it but any router will work with them, its just a case of finding the username and password which is easy to do.
    If you could borrow a router before the engineer arrives and see does it make a difference. I'm thinking that if an Openreach engineer arrives and diagnoses a faulty router which is out of guarantee ....... who's gonna pay for the visit ?
  • BrummiekevBrummiekev Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Had problems myself with Sky the last few months, at first our downstream was only 512kbps!!!. We tried everything, new cables, testing the master socket and even asked for a new router. Our Router was an old netgear white router that we got in 2007, we thought maybe it was because we had it a while and something had burned out inside.

Still no luck after we got the Sky Hub, but we got it Free from Sky. Sky said we had to takeout an existing 12 month contract, of which would only be 1/2 price each month and they would supply the hub for free.

We then decided to call Sky back again and request an engineer visit. He came and found that there was a fault in the green cabinet at the end of the road, we did have a bit of crackling on the phone. Once he fixed that, our speed went up . It was fixed at about 0.5 mbps before which was shocking, its now at 4 mbps. That still isnt as quick as it should be, Sky esitmate is 8-10mbps on our exchange but the speed is stable at that and at least is an improvement on what it was before.
  • BrummiekevBrummiekev Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=LION8TIGER;69554471 I'm thinking that if an Openreach engineer arrives and diagnoses a faulty router which is out of guarantee ....... who's gonna pay for the visit [/QUOTE]

You would, we were told by Sky that if the openreach engineer came and the found the fault was the router/cabling to master socket we would have to pay for the visit, over £100!!:eek:

If the fault was the master socket, the wiring to the outside of the property/street or the cabinet then its BT's problem and we wouldnt have to pay for the callout.

So we were sweating when he came but thankfully the fault was external, so no charge. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Brummiekev wrote: »
    If the fault was the master socket, the wiring to the outside of the property/street or the cabinet then its BT's problem and we wouldnt have to pay for the callout.
    That is what one always uses the Test Socket first; in order to eliminate Internal Wiring.