Home Front Season 3 - anyone not enjoying it?

sarah_2277sarah_2277 Posts: 631
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone listen to this on BBC Radio 4? I was really enjoying it but I just can't get into this month's.

Comments

• NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have only just started to listening to the series. Finished season 1 and 2 a couple of weeks ago. Season 3 is such a sudden shift in setting, POVs and tone with its focus on social politics, I've found it quite hard to get into. I loved Seasons 1 and 2 - I couldn't get enough of it and I very rarely listen radio plays & series; I'm so used to those characters (Whatever happened to Sam Wilson?:(). I haven't liked any of the new characters so far, well except Kitty and maybe Phyllis Marshall (because they are a throwback to the last two seasons). I think it is to do with the changes. I'll give it some time to settle in, I think.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the first 2 seasons were bettter because there was a more diverse range of characters and lives, and it was easier to connect with the characters. This one feels narrow in comparison. I am struggling to get into it. Nobody seems to stand out in any way. None of the characters seem familiar when they reappear.
  • Rob793Rob793 Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We used to call them series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rob793 wrote: »
    We used to call them series.

Yes, we did.:( On the BBC website, they now call them 'seasons' which I find odd. Well, I don't find it odd, just rather irritated by this Americanisation of our language. It can only lead to less texture in the way we look at, understand and describe the world/life around us.
  • sarah_2277sarah_2277 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I was going to write series but noticed the Beeb has labelled it 'seasons'. I'm literally falling to sleep listening to it at the moment, it's so boring and like you say I can't warm to the characters, I don't find them likeable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarah_2277 wrote: »
    Yeah, I was going to write series but noticed the Beeb has labelled it 'seasons'. I'm literally falling to sleep listening to it at the moment, it's so boring and like you say I can't warm to the characters, I don't find them likeable.

The first time I listened to the 2-6 Feb omnibus edition my mind was drifting in and out because I was waiting for the story to go back to Folkestone. It never did. So come the 9- 13 Feb omnibus I thought I'll give it a proper listen until I realised that one of the new characters had died - or at least I think he died - and his children were having some interrelated conversation about it. So I decided to have another stab at the 2-6 Feb omnibus in fear that I had missed some important infomation and found I just don't have the heart for it atm.

One of the things that probably makes this new batch of characters unlikeable and unrelatable for me is the way they come straight at the listeners with their politics.

'Here's Johnnie Marshall who has just come back from Russia *hint, hint* and he has all these revolutionary ideas about workers rights *hint, hint*. But oh, look Johnny comes from a well-to-family who own the factory where the majority of the workers are employed *hint, hint*. He is going to clash with his brother who runs the factory *hint, hint*. And look, here comes Edna who is from a poorer background from Johnnie but like him shares the same revolutionary ideas *hint, hint*. And she is a woman and she works in the factory while the men are away fighting *hint, hint*. Oh, look Johnnie has invited Edna to the posh tea shop *hint, hint*

I kind of like my plays a little subtler than that, lol! Still, I shan't give up on it yet, though. But it is a bit of a grind right now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnnie stands out a bit. It seems now there is only one major storyline, which centres around the evolution of employment. Before there was a vicar having an affair, a man violently attacking his family, a family who had lost a son in the war, two children going missing, a woman in a relationship with a German, a love rivalry, traumatised refugees, and more. My favourite episode of them all was the one where there was chaos at the police sttation.

Another thing I don't like about the new series is that the dialogue is unnecessarily less accessible because of the use of local words with which people from other parts of the country are not familiar. It feels less inclusive because of this.
  • pattycakepattycake Posts: 4,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am glad I a not the only one who can't get into this new series/season. I had been really enjoying it until the story moved north.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    Johnnie stands out a bit. It seems now there is only one major storyline, which centres around the evolution of employment. Before there was a vicar having an affair, a man violently attacking his family, a family who had lost a son in the war, two children going missing, a woman in a relationship with a German, a love rivalry, traumatised refugees, and more. My favourite episode of them all was the one where there was chaos at the police sttation.

Another thing I don't like about the new series is that the dialogue is unnecessarily less accessible because of the use of local words with which people from other parts of the country are not familiar. It feels less inclusive because of this.

He stands out a bit too much, if you ask me, with his romantic ideals - well, if he isn't passing off ideas as his own that he plagarised from Russian writers!

BIB: Yes, I'm listening to the latest omnibus (16-20 Feb) and it is still centred on employment socio-politics. Unlike the Wilsons and the Macknades, I don't get a feel of the characters as individuals in this 3rd series. At the moment they seem merely to function as ciphers for the gender and class politics going on at the time, slapping on the plot like a trowel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone still listening? I'm glad it's back in Folkestone. I like the new characters they've introduced as well.
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I've downloaded this on my phone to listen to during the morning commute. I loved the first two series, but I find it hard to care about the third series. I don't know why they didn't continue the Folkestone story as there is plenty of material to mine from there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an extraordinary last couple of weeks. The season ends with a few things unresolved.

Will Howard and Juliet marry? Howard keeps giving Juliet opportunities to change her mind that she doesn't want.

What will happen to Marieke's baby? Dorothia must surely accept now that Marieke is the mother.

There is also the trial of Mickey MacNade to look forward. Just when I expected his mum to be relieved, even delighted that he came round, how quickly her emotions changed. Surely his dad will come back. I wonder what he will make of it all?

Thornton and Josiah were brilliant characters. I expected the Thornton storyline to go in a different direction before the murder of Josiah King. On that day it was interesting how Mickey applied the reasoning that was given to the killing of his horse to what he did to the policeman.

Isn't it extraordinary how Adam manages to be where the most shocking acts are either committed or discussed. He saw the affair between the vicar and the Sunday school teacher, he was under the table when the future of Victor's mum was being organised, and he saw the murder of Josiah King.

I hope the next season stays in Folkestone and I can't wait for Home Front to return.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think Dorothea was alluding to the fact she'd slept with someone other than Ralph (I vaguely remember some officers being billeted there)? Or did she mean her parentage is questionable so the baby might be mixed race?

Thornton: Do we know why she's run off with the money? Was it her plan all along?

I hope it stays in Folkestone. I'm wondering if Kitty might be pregnant again, if Juliet's husband isn't dead and word will get back either before or after the wedding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think Dorothea was alluding to the fact she'd slept with someone other than Ralph (I vaguely remember some officers being billeted there)? Or did she mean her parentage is questionable so the baby might be mixed race?

I think the latter seems more accurate. If anything happened with a soldier, did Dorothia consent?
    Thornton: Do we know why she's run off with the money? Was it her plan all along?

I think the most likely answer is she was spooked by things he was saying about other people being implicated in the murder of the police officer.
    I'm wondering if Kitty might be pregnant again, if Juliet's husband isn't dead and word will get back either before or after the wedding.

I think Kitty will probably be pregnant. Hopefully it will be a girl. It would be interesting to see how her husband's family react to a new baby girl. I think Juliet's husband is probably dead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No guarantee, but it could be a mixed race baby will be the result. When Dorothea and Ralph's marriage was on the rocks in S1 she offered to billet soldiers in the Vicarage; one of those billeted was an Indian soldier, who IIRC she was at least happy to interact with, if not more than that, which was even hinted at at the time since it looked like the marriage was over.

Possibly, the situation seemed too setup - she "forgot" something and needed to go back to the room, sensing that Thornton was cock-a-hoop with his table guest and so he might not come - indeed he swithered at the table as to whether he should go, but relented. We now have three women in London (two from South Shields), so perhaps characters are being placed there for a future season.
    I hope it stays in Folkestone. I'm wondering if Kitty might be pregnant again

Looks like S5 is still in Folkestone:

https://twitter.com/Jassicrea/status/622004424018403328

"Spirituality" is the theme - looks like it could be a revolving around a lot of soul searching, perhaps Ralph has a lot to soul search about...

If Kitty is pregnant, then it could be a guess who the dad is game, since Dieter and Victor were both involved with Kitty, a few nights apart, which she may well have done on purpose to give her the opportunity to say to both they are the dad.
  • Micki369Micki369 Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    But victor himself probably doesn't care about kitty having another mans child, as he's using her to seem 'normal' as it seems he's probably gay even if he hasn't fully realised it himself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Micki369 wrote: »
    But victor himself probably doesn't care about kitty having another mans child, as he's using her to seem 'normal' as it seems he's probably gay even if he hasn't fully realised it himself.

But why use Kitty rather than a woman from his class?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Kitty did it on purpose. Worried about falling pregnant after her dalliance with Dieter, she knew Victor would be upset about it. He might have married her for all the wrong reasons but I don't think he'd be happy about her seeing another man.

Anyone know when S5 starts?
    Forum Member
    According to the website, it returns 7 September.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know when it is on again? I love this series but found the end of the last one rather abrupt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back on today at 12.04 I think (40 episode run)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish they wouldn't mess about with the storylines. I have no idea who's who, and cant get back into it at mo. It's like tuning in to coronation Street and finding it's EastEnders.
    Forum Member
    Yes, I don't see why they just don't stay in Folkestone. They can keep introducing new characters without losing the ones we've already gotten to know. I'm sure there could be farms around that area if they want to explore how the war affected food production.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt a bit lost listening to Monday's episode but I'm going to listen to the whole week in about half an hour and see what I think then.

Why is Albert played by somebody different than before? I noticed this in the previous series. Then when my nife noticed I looked at the credits from that series and a previous series. I do prefer the first Albert.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What series is it now?

What ever the correct number is, we're now in Devon. It's like the Archers but there's a war and conscription. There is little enthusiasm for the war in France, but there are wars closer to home between farming siblings, and a farmer who dislikes their whole family.

Elspeth seems to be kind, but Isaac is very bitter. He doesn't seem to have anything good to say about anyone.

Adam has managed to entangle himself into this mess. No mention of his mission yet, and he didn't come into contact with Gabriel and Silvia, who have relatives in the area. Presumably they have relatives everywhere Home Front goes. There are a couple of lords and a soldier who is considered a hero but is firmly against the war.

This is more interesting than when Home Front went to Newcastle, and the characters are easier to understand. However, when Home Front is in Folkestone, there is a more diverse range of occupations and characters. Here it is all ffarmers and land owners. There doesn't seem to be room for different story lines once the conscription ccases and farming disputes have run their course.