Soap "fans"

2»

Comments

• noodkleopatranoodkleopatra Posts: 12,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get what you mean, OP. I love EastEnders all round, certain characters annoy the buggery out of me, though. I tune in to watch what's going on all around Albert Square - although I admit when there's Phil & Shirley moments I do have an 'awwwww' moment... and get quite excited. But that's part of the storyline!

Others like that were Kat & Alfie and Little Mo & Billy... Genuine romantic excitement running through when I watch them. But Kat & Alfie left, Mo & Billy split - and I kept on watching... There's no one thing I watch FOR, but there are a few things I watch in the hope of seeing.

That's NOT to say I don't also get why people get obsessed over soap couples... Nikki & Helen from Bad Girls come to mind. They had a HUGE following - even going international. There are certain storylines and pairings that grip you. So, yes, you become very involved - but as said before, you meet other "Chryed" fans, and, like a forum should do, you become this discussion table.

So I'm a little in Col A and B. I'll watch EastEnders probably for ages and ages yet, no matter what happens.
  • Joy2286Joy2286 Posts: 28,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last year I finished a degree in Media Studies and interestingly my entire dissertation was focused around soap opera fans and the internet.

When I did my research into fandom and soap operas what I found was that soap opera fandom wasn't about obsessive and abnormal behaviour but about textual interpretations. The kind of debate and discussion that takes place among these forums is the text of the soap opera being dissected, discussed and debated. As other posters have highlighted the discussion then spawns friendships and a sense of community as posters begin to recognise each other and debate with each other more regularly- they also get to know each other on a personal level.

Here are a couple of extracts from my dissertation which may explain what I mean more:
    Most studies see fans as interpreters of texts. Henry Jenkins refers to them as “textual poachers”, ceasing to be “simply an audience for popular texts” and becoming “active participants in the construction and circulation of textual meaning.” (1992: p24). Fans interpret texts based on their own experiences and their previous knowledge of the text. Seiter et al. describe how soap opera viewers “commute between a referential and fictional reading” (1989: p236) David Buckingham argues that British soap operas are particularly open to this kind of interpretation, because “the concentration on the minutiae of everyday life which is typical of British serials means that they may enable viewers to relate to the characters’ experiences to events in their own everyday lives to a much greater degree than is possible in other genres of television drama.” (1987: p82). In her study of soap operas Christine Geraghty (1991) mentions that talk and gossip are the main emphasis of soaps which again leaves the genre open to textual interpretation. Buckingham also supports this when he says “Soap operas are regarded as ‘open texts’ which offer multiple levels of interpretation” (1987: p35)

Studies explain how fans share these interpreted meanings with others. Indeed Jenkins states “One becomes a “fan” not by being a regular viewer of a particular program but by translating that viewing into some kind of cultural activity, by sharing feelings and thoughts about the program content with friends, by joining a “community” of other fans who share common interests” (2006: p41). This is echoed by Costello and Moore (2007: p127) and Gantz et al. (2006: p96) Many studies mention how the exchanging of ideas between fans enhances their viewing or reading of a text. Much of their pleasure in watching soap operas comes from the exchange of these ideas with others (Fiske (1992: p38), Brown (1994: p70)). Hobson states “A large part of the enjoyment of watching soap operas is derived from talking about them with other people and sharing opinions and, perhaps as important, using opinions and stories taken from the soap opera to talk about aspects of their own lives.” (2003: p175)
    "Through my studies I have also discovered that there are degrees of fandom among online soap fans and I would go as far as to suggest that online soap fans can be categorised even further. The results of my questionnaire and my participant observation studies show that some online soap fans use the internet far more in relation to their fandom than others. The types of online soap fans who fall into this category fully engage and participate in previously recognised habits of fandom. For the purpose of categorisation I will call them “Active Fans”. Active fans regularly re-work texts and share them with other fans- as per Henry Jenkins’ findings (1992). They become active players- creating online personalities for themselves and submit to the idea of a cultural hierarchy of fandom. Active fans post regularly, in many instances daily, on all kinds of soap topics and become recognisable figures among the discussion forums. They often partake in fan activities other than posting on forums such as making fan videos and writing fan fiction. When asked they readily acknowledge and admit the influence that the internet has on their own viewing of soap operas and even sometimes acknowledge the way in which their use of the internet enables the blurring of the fantastical world of their fandom and the real world of their offline lives. In some cases it almost seems as if the internet becomes as much a part of their viewing experience as watching the actual soap itself. The internet and the facility it offers soap fans to discuss what is happening in the soaps so specifically and in such detail serves to deepen their involvement in the soaps and heighten the intensity of their fandom.

The other category of online soap fan I found during my study I would like to call “Fan viewers”. Like Active fans, Fan viewers display many recognised habits of fandom in that they re-work texts and create their own online personas. However, there is also a clear distinction to be made in terms of the intensity of their fandom. Fan viewers do not post online as regularly as Active fans and are not usually part of a specific online community within the forums. They do not engage as often with external fan activities such as making fan videos, or writing fan fiction. The internet becomes an aid to their soap viewing rather than a part of it. Fan viewers often are able to detach the soap from real life and are able to separate their online and offline lives. They see the soap simply as a soap and they detach their internet usage from their physical soap viewing. The intensity of their fandom is much less.

I think this kind of distinction can be made for fandom in whatever genre it appears- whether that be sports fans, music fans, film fans, book fans or any other kind of fandom. The level of intensity of each individual case of fandom will differ from person to person and will affect how they display their fandom in different ways."

Sorry if that's all a bit technical :o (ignore all the references)
  • starfish100starfish100 Posts: 12,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joy2286 wrote: »
    Last year I finished a degree in Media Studies and interestingly my entire dissertation was focused around soap opera fans and the internet.

When I did my research into fandom and soap operas what I found was that soap opera fandom wasn't about obsessive and abnormal behaviour but about textual interpretations. The kind of debate and discussion that takes place among these forums is the text of the soap opera being dissected, discussed and debated. As other posters have highlighted the discussion then spawns friendships and a sense of community as posters begin to recognise each other and debate with each other more regularly- they also get to know each other on a personal level.

Here are a couple of extracts from my dissertation which may explain what I mean more:

Crumbs that is impressive! And very interesting too. I do agree that internet forums have taken the place of what would have been a book club or the like (although obviously these do still exist). The internet is so immediate and accessible 24 / 7 so it generates a very rapid pace of discussion once there is engagement with a particular story and a particular fanbase.

Also the comments from Leeah were interesting, some people just do use soaps as more of the moving wallpaper aspect of viewing, being casual and switching off once it's over. Nothing more than pure entertainment, and nothing wrong with this type of viewing either, soaps need to fulfill both needs, and once a particular storyline grabs certain viewers for whatever reason, then a fanbase develops. I certainly have had my moving wallpaper months with EE (and am having one now, lol :D)

It's all different soaps for different folks, IMO.
    Hey Killiegirl, you are getting your intellectual discussion so your thread has achieved what you wanted! :)
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Joy2286 wrote: »

you're not any chance at oxford with libby at all are u? lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crumbs that is impressive! And very interesting too. I do agree that internet forums have taken the place of what would have been a book club or the like (although obviously these do still exist). The internet is so immediate and accessible 24 / 7 so it generates a very rapid pace of discussion once there is engagement with a particular story and a particular fanbase.

Also the comments from Leeah were interesting, some people just do use soaps as more of the moving wallpaper aspect of viewing, being casual and switching off once it's over. Nothing more than pure entertainment, and nothing wrong with this type of viewing either, soaps need to fulfill both needs, and once a particular storyline grabs certain viewers for whatever reason, then a fanbase develops. I certainly have had my moving wallpaper months with EE (and am having one now, lol :D)

It's all different soaps for different folks, IMO.
    Hey Killiegirl, you are getting your intellectual discussion so your thread has achieved what you wanted! :)

I just logged in for the first time since this afternoon, makes for very interesting reading!

Joy2286, I'm so impressed you did a dissertation on soaps, sounds a lot more interesting than my degree! :)
  • Joy2286Joy2286 Posts: 28,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you're not any chance at oxford with libby at all are u? lol

Lol no far from- I was at Sheffield Hallam haha! (not even the "proper" Sheffield Uni) :p
    killiegirl wrote: »
    I just logged in for the first time since this afternoon, makes for very interesting reading!

Joy2286, I'm so impressed you did a dissertation on soaps, sounds a lot more interesting than my degree! :)

Thanks! It was a bit of a no brainer for me haha- we were given such free reign with what we could choose for our dissertation topics and I figured it was something I'd enjoy and that I knew a reasonable amount about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How boring. *yawn*

Can we not just come on here and discuss anything we want, without people wittering? FFS!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How boring. *yawn*

Can we not just come on here and discuss anything we want, without people wittering? FFS!

Well yes, we can come on here and discuss anything we want, and some people wanted to discuss this, so we are!
    That's the good thing about an open forum!

I might find the things you discuss boring, but I'd be mature enough to understand that different people find different things interesting, instead of going on to your thread and being rude. :rolleyes:
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, this is a forum to discuss soaps so what do you expect people to do on here? People will get favourites much like big brother, singers, footballers etc..

The Danielle mob were obsessive but ultimately have not harmed anyone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    OP, this is a forum to discuss soaps so what do you expect people to do on here? People will get favourites much like big brother, singers, footballers etc..

The Danielle mob were obsessive but ultimately have not harmed anyone.

Of course people should discuss soaps on here, I wouldn't want this forum to be any different, I've posted on it many times myself. I wasn't complaining! People should be able to discuss whatever they want, and even if I didn't agree with their point of view I'd completely defend their right to have it!

I was only wondering why people get so fixated on one particular character, I don't get it myself, but that doesn't mean I see anything wrong with it.