Options

why are employers hiring immigrants?

HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why is it that employers are actively choosing to hire immigrants, and why are employers actively choosing to go abroad with their jobs e.g. call centres?

Seems kinda silly to blame the immigrants when its the employers that are allowing this to happen isn't it?

That biased BBC programme about British workers being lazy is a load of bollocks we all know that so what is really going on here?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they'll work hard for a modest wage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    They outsource things like call centres and IT departments abroad simply because it's cheaper.

They hire immigrants because British people are too snobby and have too many demands in their jobs, whereas most immigrants will just get on with the work because they know they have to or else. They probably won't moan about having to work 13 minutes overtime once in a month, or having to start at 6am when the company opens earlier.
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    horns wrote: »
    Because they'll work hard for a modest wage.

Not all of us, I'm on a pretty good salary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PamelaL wrote: »

Shhh, you're not an immigrant. You gotz English speakingz!
  • Options
    LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when i use to visit the job centre all youd here is people ...

""i aint working as a cleaner mate .. your having a laugh aint ya"

""how much an hour? i wouldnt get out of my bed for that sh*tty job"

the immigrants will do it without a word of complaint
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    They outsource things like call centres and IT departments abroad simply because it's cheaper.

They hire immigrants because British people are too snobby and have too many demands in their jobs, whereas most immigrants will just get on with the work because they know they have to or else...

This ^^
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »

Same here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheap labour
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eduble wrote: »
    Cheap labour

I'm an immigrant and I out-earn my British born husband, both his sisters and his parents. I'm easy but I ain't cheap.
  • Options
    camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    I work with a few Polish and Italian guys, they are all highly skilled and are very fussy about their work, it is a pleasure to work with these people wereas the local people I worked with did not want to put in the overtime and could not care less if the job was finished on time.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cheap labour

That's probably rumour, myth...

Although there will be cases where immigrants are hired "on the side" because they'll accept £4 per hour, on the whole they still can't earn less than minimum wage.

It's because they'll accept minimum wage, where as most proper citizens will moan about it, not take the job as seriously and probably not work as hard.
  • Options
    fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    No British people have applied for warehouse jobs at my partner's workplace for the last 5 years.

There were always vacancies for baggage handlers and cleaners at the airport until Polish immigrants arrived and filled them. Then the local dossers started to complain that the jobs were full of 'foreigners'. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure how true it is. But I was told that there's an incentive for employers to hire EU immigrant workers. I'm not sure if they receive a payment to hire someone or it's done via tax relief. But employers are offered incentives to hire EU nationals.
  • Options
    soda syphonsoda syphon Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Because immigrant workers are easier to bully and manipulate.
  • Options
    fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Rafer wrote: »
    Not sure how true it is. But I was told that there's an incentive for employers to hire EU immigrant workers. I'm not sure if they receive a payment to hire someone or it's done via tax relief. But employers are offered incentives to hire EU nationals.

It isn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's probably rumour, myth...

Although there will be cases where immigrants are hired "on the side" because they'll accept £4 per hour, on the whole they still can't earn less than minimum wage.

It's because they'll accept minimum wage, where as most proper citizens will moan about it, not take the job as seriously and probably not work as hard.

Plus they're more prepared to work for agencies who will lay them off at a drop of a hat.
  • Options
    HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other countries survive using their own people why cant employers use people hare. Its as if they have been spoilt by immigrants? employers just being greedy?
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus they're more prepared to work for agencies who will lay them off at a drop of a hat.

A lot just come over here to work, without their families, then go back home again and usually live together to keep expenses down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hurlley wrote: »
    Other countries survive using their own people why cant employers use people hare. Its as if they have been spoilt by immigrants? employers just being greedy?

If any of the indigenous people were willing to take the jobs and make a decent effort at them, I'm sure they'd be welcome.
  • Options
    simonmooresimonmoore Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had two jobs up for grabs last year, I had 16 people apply. One of the applications was wrote out in green felt pen, One had wrote in the top corner "Quiet worker quick learner" in red biro she said this was her reference from her previous employer. One guy handed me an application with only one past employer from 1989 on it saying he was a head chef. But since then had not had a job as no one would pay him the money he wanted! One woman said can you just give me an interview but not the job and just give me a letter saying i did not get the job so i dont loose my benifits. In the section asking when people were available most did not want to work saturdays or Friday nights, Dispite the advert saying Fridays and saturdays were when they would be working. However i had two applications that were filled in with all the infomation asked with CV's included. I could not pronounce the names at the time LOL. Needless to say the two people are the best workers I have ever had, Never phoned in sick, Nothing is too much trouble, Polite to customers and never late. They work all the hours i ask and would work more if i had the need for them! They are learning me Polish as well LOL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot just come over here to work, without their families, then go back home again and usually live together to keep expenses down.

So it benefits them to work like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when i use to visit the job centre all youd here is people ...

""i aint working as a cleaner mate .. your having a laugh aint ya"

""how much an hour? i wouldnt get out of my bed for that sh*tty job"

the immigrants will do it without a word of complaint

To be fair though, a lot of cleaning jobs are only for a couple of hours a day and so the pay must be quite low too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it benefits them to work like that.

I'm not saying otherwise, just pointing out why some can afford to work in those low-paid jobs more than others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hurlley wrote: »
    Why is it that employers are actively choosing to hire immigrants, and why are employers actively choosing to go abroad with their jobs e.g. call centres?

Seems kinda silly to blame the immigrants when its the employers that are allowing this to happen isn't it?

That biased BBC programme about British workers being lazy is a load of bollocks we all know that so what is really going on here?

So what is really going on here?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In what way do you think the BBC programme was biased?