Options

Why force Children to lie at xmas?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
Forum Member
✭✭
When children are asked by Santa if they've been a good boy/girl. They are peer-pressured into lying namely by their parents of society in general (other kids/movies/influences etc). And saying they have have been a good child, even though they havent, simply so they can recieve a materialistic item in return. This materialism is paid for by the lies told, or occasionally by a little cash out the pockets from the parents.

Is it acceptable that we should be teaching children to lie simply so they can gain something? surely materialism can be overlooked so that they can feel more self-assured that they have been at least truthful in honesty values. Rather than being pressured into deceipt, even if being children they aren't aware of it.

Comments

• Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Children are good on the whole, and its Father Christmas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well lets get rid of the pretence and just tell them santa isnt real. problem solved.....
  • Options
    Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont actually believe the Santa thing is a terrible lie. In fact it could help them behave, so they get presents! lol
    It's a childhood fantasy & shouldn't be quashed. I think parents that always told their children that Santa didn't exist were far more cruel tbh. They tend to find out by about the age of 10 anyway, depending on factors like older siblings spoiling it. But I dont think their whole personality is influenced by the Santa lie, no lol
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    LMAO is this for real?
  • Options
    MinjuryMinjury Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Do you just make threads for the sake of it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember how magical Christmas was when I still believed in Santa, it was something to look forward to and be excited about! I am not about to take that away from my daughter. Its not just santa, its a day when everyone finds a reason to be happy!
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11:11 wrote: »
    When children are asked by Santa if they've been a good boy/girl. They are peer-pressured into lying namely by their parents of society in general (other kids/movies/influences etc). And saying they have have been a good child, even though they havent, simply so they can recieve a materialistic item in return. This materialism is paid for by the lies told, or occasionally by a little cash out the pockets from the parents.

Is it acceptable that we should be teaching children to lie simply so they can gain something? surely materialism can be overlooked so that they can feel more self-assured that they have been at least truthful in honesty values. Rather than being pressured into deceipt, even if being children they aren't aware of it.

I think it's nice for Children to realise that they are nice people - no lying involved. They'll learn to feel socially imposed guilt a plenty as they grow up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,749
    Forum Member
    What i don't get is how children actually believe Santa can go to everyones houses on christmas eve. Maybe people don't understand just how many people are in the world. :D
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Children still believe in magic, thats how, just as they believe in Father Christmas and his magic key, a flying reindeer, and a man who knows exactly what they have wished for.
  • Options
    CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, why do parents lie (to their children) about someone that doesn't exist ? :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What i don't get is how children actually believe Santa can go to everyones houses on christmas eve. Maybe people don't understand just how many people are in the world. :D

because cartoons only show santa visiting 6 houses but seemingly that accounts for the entire world and all 24 timezones

how can we tell kids to be good if we're lieing to them from birth /sarcasm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think kids think about that! ITs only as you get older and start to realise there is a big wide world out there that you start to figure stuff out.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    11:11 wrote: »

Perhaps you would feel happier if the children said "no Father Christmas I have been really bad " and then instead of a present he turned them upside down and beat them with a stick and then they spent Christmas with no decorations, no presents and bread and butter for lunch and were shown films of good children getting presents and food.

Most small children who your OP message applies to are generally good , being naughty at times is not being bad , its older kids and adults who are bad by choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    OP, why do parents lie (to their children) about someone that doesn't exist ? :cool:

I don't think its a harmful lie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bambii wrote: »
    I don't think its a harmful lie.

What if they resent you after finding out the truth ?
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just how evil are the kids you know? Did they microwave your pony? :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

then you're a horrible parent and you deserve to be hung......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skalr wrote: »

Eh ??? :confused:
  • Options
    chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member

yeah after finding out that youve spent £100s of pounds on them for years
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could be wrong but I will eat Santas hat if all the people in this thread saying tell them he's not real from the start, have actually done that with their own kids. Or they haven't actually got any kids of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh ??? :confused:

sorry - just taking a cue from your other thread about the need for the reintroduction of corporal punishment
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sorry - just taking a cue from your other thread about the need for the reintroduction of corporal punishment

Oh, right.

Thanks for the clarification :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tad excessive! lol But I do know a woman that made sure her kids knew Santa wasn't real. But she is a mum that openly says she hates her 13 year old daughter, & has done to her face. And has allsorts of problems with all but 1 of her 6 kids. These mums are usually seen on Jeremy Kyle in the future lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Unlikely, I didn't resent my mother after I discovered the truth, infact I felt like I was getting in on a cool secret! I actually don't know anyone that resented their parents for not telling them that santa wasn't real....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    One of my brothers said "No, I've been naughty all year and I hate you Daddy Christmas and I don't want any of your horrible presents". He then jumped off Santas knee and ran away. He's 41 now and it still gets brought up every Christmas.