Options

Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I actually believe that most people are artists (writers, romantics, dreamers) at heart. Many of us have entered the storybook of DM's world of Portwenn in our imagination. Here's my challenge. If you could write yourself into Martin's world, who would you be, what would you do, and how would you interact with the Doc? :rolleyes::):confused:

That's a fun question you've asked there, and pretty easy in my case. I'm the vicar who would prepare Martin and Louisa for their marriage and talk to them about the baptism. The Doc starts out quite contemptuous but I hold my own with him -- after all, it's him seeking my pastoral attention, not me seeking his medical attention. I am also involved with the reintegration of Mrs. Tishell following the incident at the castle of which she is now deeply ashamed, a cause for which neither Martin nor Louisa initially have much sympathy, but I promote their reconciliation with her. Initially Louisa is the most receptive to me and I develop something of a friendship with her which Martin is resentful of, because Louisa always returns from our luncheons bringing up the sort of questions that perplex him. Over the years though, the Doc comes to recognise me as a force for good in his marriage and in the community, and we develop a mutual respect and synergy where I refer cases to him that I suspect have an organic cause and he refers cases to me that he suspects require the cure of souls. Eventually both Martin and Louisa find peace with God, as with the unseen hook and the invisible line, I draw them.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The haikus are awesome. I never could write them -- too mathematical. Does anyone do sonnets?

Thanks - interesting you say that because I am not very good with words, but I'm a numbers person. Never connected the mathematical aspect to why I enjoy the haikus (5-7-5), but it makes sense. Actually hadn't even thought about them since high school.

I envy you, Mona and robspace who can do the big rhyming ones. Haikus are easy compared to what you 3 have created in the last few days.

One more for tonight:

Constables come - go.
    All try to befriend Martin.
    He'll have none of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a fun question you've asked there, and pretty easy in my case. I'm the vicar who would prepare Martin and Louisa for their marriage and talk to them about the baptism. The Doc starts out quite contemptuous but I hold my own with him -- after all, it's him seeking my pastoral attention, not me seeking his medical attention. I am also involved with the reintegration of Mrs. Tishell following the incident at the castle of which she is now deeply ashamed, a cause for which neither Martin nor Louisa initially have much sympathy, but I promote their reconciliation with her. Initially Louisa is the most receptive to me and I develop something of a friendship with her which Martin is resentful of, because Louisa always returns from our luncheons bringing up the sort of questions that perplex him. Over the years though, the Doc comes to recognise me as a force for good in his marriage and in the community, and we develop a mutual respect and synergy where I refer cases to him that I suspect have an organic cause and he refers cases to me that he suspects require the cure of souls. Eventually both Martin and Louisa find peace with God, as with the unseen hook and the invisible line, I draw them.

That's a really good one. I've been thinking about it and I just don't see myself in the story for some reason. I suppose I could be his bank manager, but now that I'm retired I have no desire to even think about all the crap I went through for all those years :eek:

I think I just enjoy being a spectator now :cool:
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    That's a really good one. I've been thinking about it and I just don't see myself in the story for some reason. I suppose I could be his bank manager, but now that I'm retired I have no desire to even think about all the crap I went through for all those years :eek:

I think I just enjoy being a spectator now :cool:

I'd be his therapist, but the danger of counter-transference is just too great..:):eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I'd be his therapist, but the danger of counter-transference is just too great..:):eek:

Best not then! :D. (keep your options open!)

Thank goodness there is no stigma againsts bankers dating customers. Saw a few marriages over the years from my co-workers and customers.

Blood aversion was
    what sent the doc to the doc.
    No love at first sight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You all are wonderful! Thanks for answering my question - I had fun doing it myself. And I had to laugh out loud at so many of your remarks. It's not just the Doc, but "playing" with you keeps me coming back to the forum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I'd be a Crime Analyst on sabbatical, helping to solve a sudden influx of mysterious events in the village. My forthright manner and logical bent would mean that I would tend to socialize with AR and
    perhaps even the Doc might be comfortable in my presence. I'd be happy to invite the Doc & Louisa to dinner. I'd have little patience for PC Penhale.

Love the poetry! Just downloaded a Doc Martin Theme ringtone for my iphone - fun!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radfen wrote: »
    I'd be a Crime Analyst on sabbatical, helping to solve a sudden influx of mysterious events in the village. My forthright manner and logical bent would mean that I would tend to socialize with AR and
    perhaps even the Doc might be comfortable in my presence. I'd be happy to invite the Doc & Louisa to dinner. I'd have little patience for PC Penhale.

Love the poetry! Just downloaded a Doc Martin Theme ringtone for my iphone - fun!

Hi radfen

I like the ring tone idea! Mine is currently on one that comes with the phone and it's popular cos I hear it ringing everywhere and think it is mine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FYI did you know that 90% of Australians surveyed want Obama to win the US election???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    FYI did you know that 90% of Australians surveyed want Obama to win the US election???

Personally, the only way I may get through the next couple of weeks is non-stop immersion in the world of PortWenn -- netflicks, fanfic, youtube, forum - such a nice retreat from reality. :)
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, the only way I may get through the next couple of weeks is non-stop immersion in the world of PortWenn -- netflicks, fanfic, youtube, forum - such a nice retreat from reality. :)

NewPark - I am in your corner. I made up my mind at the beginning of this year I was only going to get bits and pieces of what was going on in newspapers and news spots on radio and enjoy my time in Portwenn. I was polled two weeks ago by Rasmussen Polsters by phone, and I have to admit I was less than honest. I quickly surmised that they had my name and address on their end so I gave them a poverty level of income, I was a very young woman and I had no party affiliation, so there was no chance they would be after me for a donation . I give very little credibility in their accuracy. But, in the meantime I have thoroughly enjoyed this forum, and all things DM, MC, et als. It is amazing to me that even though it is an off year for filming, someway the posts keep coming from the fans.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quiet man, sad eyes.
    Always seems to be watching
    Her walk down the hill.

I also like haikus! One says so little but infers to much. I'm not very good at it, at all, but it's fun to play around.

Kisses burst for weeks,
    Sad months of absence and pain
    The harsh birth of love.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've spoken about DM being "heroic" in his ministering of medicine to the villagers.

I think also he was heroic after LG left him between S3 and S4. For one thing, LG and DM essentially repeated his trauma of asking EM to marry him and having her reject him for a career. DM and LG (in what I think was a poorly written episode to justify their decisions) both decide to not marry. Apparently, at least on LG's behalf, she did not want to even continue the relationship and moved to London for a career change (as EM left him for a career).

DM is left in the village of people he basically cannot stand, who drive him (sometimes very righteously crazy), and still devotes himself to their care. He knows they are probably snickering about him even more, with his failed (again) relationship with LG, and may even be mad at him for chasing her away from PW. He only really know has AJ for company (although he could have other friends, if he wanted, but really, how many of us would want to spend THAT much time with Penhale?). He might have been able to move away to another village, if he wanted, under Parson's direction, but maybe an availability wasn't open (we don't know).

Anyway, he stays. I think that took a strong bit of courage, being "heroic" on some level, to offer himself up for more jibes and insults, and behind the back talk, while being alone and still giving his best care to all residents. When I think about that, I'm pretty impressed with DM's internal resources. He has a lot to grow and change, of course, but he is strong in some ways which are pretty impressive at times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    We've spoken about DM being "heroic" in his ministering of medicine to the villagers.

I think also he was heroic after LG left him between S3 and S4. For one thing, LG and DM essentially repeated his trauma of asking EM to marry him and having her reject him for a career. DM and LG (in what I think was a poorly written episode to justify their decisions) both decide to not marry. Apparently, at least on LG's behalf, she did not want to even continue the relationship and moved to London for a career change (as EM left him for a career).

DM is left in the village of people he basically cannot stand, who drive him (sometimes very righteously crazy), and still devotes himself to their care. He knows they are probably snickering about him even more, with his failed (again) relationship with LG, and may even be mad at him for chasing her away from PW. He only really know has AJ for company (although he could have other friends, if he wanted, but really, how many of us would want to spend THAT much time with Penhale?). He might have been able to move away to another village, if he wanted, under Parson's direction, but maybe an availability wasn't open (we don't know).

Anyway, he stays. I think that took a strong bit of courage, being "heroic" on some level, to offer himself up for more jibes and insults, and behind the back talk, while being alone and still giving his best care to all residents. When I think about that, I'm pretty impressed with DM's internal resources. He has a lot to grow and change, of course, but he is strong in some ways which are pretty impressive at times.

I agree that it was heroic of DM to endure the six months in Portwenn without Louisa for all the reasons you mention.

I don't think, though, that she left PortWenn to further her career, but rather because in that small town, it must have been very difficult either to avoid or to run into DM. She (and probably he) just didn't know how to negotiate a different relationship with each other, given how strongly they each still felt.

I agree that the reasons given for calling off their wedding were not very compellingly laid out, but objectively, ( a word that seldom figures in my reactions to DM) anyone could see that except in fairy tales, marriage three weeks after a precipitous proposal, with a dicey background of combative exchanges and a few failed dates, was probably not a good idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also like haikus! One says so little but infers to much. I'm not very good at it, at all, but it's fun to play around.

Kisses burst for weeks,
    Sad months of absence and pain
    The harsh birth of love.

Yay! I love it! See, they really aren't that difficult. Most of mine took less than 5 minutes. I usually get the first two lines right away and sometimes the last line takes several tries.

C'mon everyone - give it a try! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that it was heroic of DM to endure the six months in Portwenn without Louisa for all the reasons you mention.

I don't think, though, that she left PortWenn to further her career, but rather because in that small town, it must have been very difficult either to avoid or to run into DM. She (and probably he) just didn't know how to negotiate a different relationship with each other, given how strongly they each still felt.

I agree that the reasons given for calling off their wedding were not very compellingly laid out, but objectively, ( a word that seldom figures in my reactions to DM) anyone could see that except in fairy tales, marriage three weeks after a precipitous proposal, with a dicey background of combative exchanges and a few failed dates, was probably not a good idea.

Great post. I hadn't given all that much thought to how he got through those six months, but you are right. It must have been incredibly difficult for him. I'm sure Louisa had lots of support in the village after the non-wedding and then she had her friend to go to in London (and perhaps a handful of others from her university days), but had no one but AJ. And, while I'm sure she was supportive of her "Marty", I suspect she was also pretty blunt about what she saw as his lack of judgement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    she longs for him; he
    can't bear to be without her
    yet so much conflict
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After watching the episode on our re-watch this week, I decided to have another go at looking for Muriel Steele's house. I could see some distinctive coastline out the window behind her and felt I should be able to find it. So I spent some time playing tourist on Google Maps and would you believe I found it! And that led to finding two additional locations!

I found the house in Trevalga, which is halfway between Boscastle and Tintagel. There is a small settlement at Trevalga right off road B3263 and if you go through the settlement and continue on the road leading north to the coast it takes you right to the house. Unfortunately, the street view ends in the settlement, so I couldn't get a shot of the house, but in the satellite view you can see the little greenhouse entrance on the south side of the house. I won't be able to post anything to Flickr today, but go to Google Maps and search for "Trevalga, UK" and you will see it. Also take a street view drive through the settlement - it is an interesting little spot. I can just see all the Doc Martin caravan driving through there to get to the filming location!

I tried to find pics online, and in doing so found a couple of listings of homes for sale in Trevalga. Thinking I might get lucky, I discovered that there only seems to be one property for sale in Trevalga at the moment. Wait for it .......... Roger bloody Fenn's house!!!!!!!!! And in the listing it even mentions that the interior and exterior was used in an episode of Doc Martin! To find this house, just take the road that goes through Trevalga and go southeast across B3263 and it is right there just down the road a bit. It even has the street view so you can get a good look at it.

Then, while searching for pictures, I found someone posted a pic of the interior of the Martin-Louisa wedding church. I saw that she had several pictures taken in Cornwall and looked through them. There were a couple of pictures of Pencarrow House, which we thought was the scene of the outdoor concert from S3E5, and in looking at her pictures and comparing to the video, it really IS the outdoor location. I will share more when I post all three of these updates to Flickr. I can't believe I found all three in one evening!

Now, back to Trevalga. There is a very interesting ongoing story about this settlement. Mrs Steele's house is referred to online as "Manor House". Apparently, when the last lord of he manor died 50 years ago, he left the manor and Trevalga to Marlborough College and there is now a fight over whether the school can sell the village. There are pages and pages of Google entries regarding "Battle of Trevalga". Here is on article that explains it. Note that subsequent articles say the courts have put the land sale on hold until they decide if he school can sell the land:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/propertynews/7896300/The-Battle-for-Trevalga-residents-fight-attempts-by-public-school-to-sell-off-their-village.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she longs for him; he
    yet so much conflict

Love it! See? Easy, peasy! :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not saying leaving for her career was the only reason LG left. It was due to her failed relationship with DM, of course, true, but she did quite easily take another position to push her along in moving.

Also, if LG, with all the love and support she has in the village, being welcomed by everyone everwhere, cannot bear to be there, it's really increases the heroic nature of DM to do so, being disliked, though respected, by so many people, being a loner and at times pariah, and no doubt being seen as the main reason LG felt compelled to leave.

One wonders just how many villagers really know the flaws LG has in regards to having a relationship herself. They know she is not being realistic believing she can easily be a single, working mom, but one wonders if they are aware of her other abandonment, insecurity etc. "issues". I wonder if they realize she was somewhat to blame for the failed marriage or if everyone just pointed their fingers at DM.

And, I'm not disagreeing with the inherent bad idea of DM and LG getting precipitiously married--I think we've all clearly agreed about that in many previous posts--but I still believe the finale of S3 was not well written enough to have the audience reach the same conclusions both DM and LG did for why they weren't marrying. What's interesting is that I do agree they could not make each other happy at that point in their lives, but I do not believe the episode itself illustrated that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying leaving for her career was the only reason LG left. It was due to her failed relationship with DM, of course, true, but she did quite easily take another position to push her along in moving.

Also, if LG, with all the love and support she has in the village, being welcomed by everyone everwhere, cannot bear to be there, it's really increases the heroic nature of DM to do so, being disliked, though respected, by so many people, being a loner and at times pariah, and no doubt being seen as the main reason LG felt compelled to leave.

One wonders just how many villagers really know the flaws LG has in regards to having a relationship herself. They know she is not being realistic believing she can easily be a single, working mom, but one wonders if they are aware of her other abandonment, insecurity etc. "issues". I wonder if they realize she was somewhat to blame for the failed marriage or if everyone just pointed their fingers at DM.

And, I'm not disagreeing with the inherent bad idea of DM and LG getting precipitiously married--I think we've all clearly agreed about that in many previous posts--but I still believe the finale of S3 was not well written enough to have the audience reach the same conclusions both DM and LG did for why they weren't marrying. What's interesting is that I do agree they could not make each other happy at that point in their lives, but I do not believe the episode itself illustrated that.

in thinking more about this, it seems to me that she must have left town almost immediately. This depends though on whether or not one thinks that she would have stayed in town once she knew she was pregnant.

Because she must have been pregnant on the wedding day, perhaps as much as two weeks (even three or four). Assuming everything more or less working normally, she must have missed her first period in another couple of weeks, and allowing for her thinking it might be "stress" etc or just not figuring it out, But within a month of the wedding, at the outside, she must at least have been suspicious, and I can't think she would have gone to London and given up her job if she knew. But I am uncertain here, and can easily imagine people thinking this would be all the more reason for her to get out of Dodge.

So, one scenario -- she called her friend Holly for a little consolation, (or Holly was there, amongst all that crowd at the church) who immediately offered sanctuary and a temporary job in London, and Louisa just jumped at the chance to get out of town. (Two weeks notice at the school or perhaps waived under the circumstances?)

I do agree that they didn't do a good enough job of explaining within the context of the show why they called off the wedding. The outraged surprise of virtually all of their millions of viewers is testament to that! I think they tried to do it, and going back and decoding, many scenes pointed to the ending, but perhaps it was just not really possible to make it fully explicable.
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Perhaps the writer of that episode Jack Lothian wanted it to be a general short explanation leaving open the following Series 4 and 5 to delve more deeply into the reasons they didn't take the big step into marriage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay! I love it! See, they really aren't that difficult. Most of mine took less than 5 minutes. I usually get the first two lines right away and sometimes the last line takes several tries.

C'mon everyone - give it a try! :D

Can you remind us of the haiku formula?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you remind us of the haiku formula?

Line 1 - 5 syllables
    Line 2 - 7 syllables
    Line 3 - 5 syllables

Each line can almost be separate from the other or they can run together. For example:

Blood aversion was
    What sent the doc to the doc
    No love at first sight

she longs for him; he
    yet so much conflict
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our nature unappreciating doc sees Louisa....

Blind to breaking waves,
    he sees the one he cannot touch;
    love pounds against his heart.
This discussion has been closed.