Options

Would a midweek show help boost ratings

northgirlnorthgirl Posts: 1,235
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When I hear people say we don't get enough chance to hear the contestants and thus people aren't as invested in the singers compared to shows that run for longer it makes me wonder if there is any mileage in a midweek show like It Takes Two.
It could run from the battle rounds or Knockout rounds and the format would be: interviews, more 'behind the scenes' at the coaching sessions and then we could have some fun acoustic/live vocals (maybe some team duets like Conor/Mitchell did on youtube) then we could really hear more of The Voices and it would also be a cheap extra show to produce and add to the brand.

Comments

• Options
    PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to really like the behind the scenese midweek programmes they used to do for Pop Idol.
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it would help, much as ITT gives us a chance to know people for SCD.
  • Options
    SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually not a bad idea :)
  • Options
    CUP OF TEAAA!CUP OF TEAAA! Posts: 4,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe called The V Room?
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    It would work for BBC Three.
  • Options
    anna42hmranna42hmr Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xeo wrote: »
    It would work for BBC Three.

Or bbc 2, for instance they do the it takes too on that for strictly - as long as they don't get Claudio winklman to present it I'd watch!
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    anna42hmr wrote: »
    Or bbc 2, for instance they do the it takes too on that for strictly - as long as they don't get Claudio winklman to present it I'd watch!

I don't think the audience they're trying to attract is in the BBC Two demographic, though. Having it on BBC Three would bring more interest from the younger generation.
  • Options
    DalwhatDalwhat Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    What I think would help is an entire reworking of the format.

The blind auditions are by far the best part of the entire series. Each team selects 12. 48 vocalists get through singing a song of their choice. The next week they are asked to sing a song possibly entirely at odds with their style against another contestant. If they approach it as a duet they are criticised for "not wanting it" and if they they compete they just end up shouting at one another. Whatever the choice 50% go home after taking part in competitive karaoke. There is very little of themselves they can impart to the battle round. The next week there is another 50% cull although at least they get to sing their own choice (assuming they can stand up to their coach). So, basically you get through to the final by singing 3 solos. I hardly think there is much opportunity for progression and 90% of the singers are gone before you even get to know them.

The upshot is that singers like Jaz last year, and Cleo and Ash this year lose out to the quirks of singers like Leah or Bo who are fine and all but do tend to be one trick ponies. You might fork out 70p to download Leah's song but would you pay £30 to go see her in concert? I honestly believe that a singer like Cleo could carry a show whereas Leah is basically just X-Factor / Top of the Pops material.

MTV eventually leads to this I guess. My point is that if the selection process was a little more drawn out then you would probably end up with a different winner. Someone possibly more deserving and more long lasting.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a special show on BBC Three & have it air every week day at 7 then have an after show on Saturday similar to the Xtra Factor, the Radio 1 DJs could host like Greg James & Fearne Cotten
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I support a companion show. Make it Fridays so who's singing what can be disclosed.
    Coach and contestant interviews. Footage from training. A bit of backstory on singers and coaches' news. Half an hour would be fine.
  • Options
    northgirlnorthgirl Posts: 1,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to see we are now going to get that companion show :)