Options

IP Webcam outrage!

Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
Forum Member
Just take a look at this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30121159

These IP webcam sites have been around for years. Why is there such a big fuss all of a sudden? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »

These IP webcam sites have been around for years. Why is there such a big fuss all of a sudden? :confused:

I was surprised too. In fact about a decade ago it was very easy to find unsecured Panasonic cameras all over the world with a simple Google search, as people had connected cameras to the internet with no security whatsoever.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yawn, its been happening since webcams first became popular...people not securing their systems is just like leaving the door unlocked to your house
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here's the site. Someone posted it on twitter. http://www.insecam.cc
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Alot of people are not aware that this sort of thing goes on and don't realise they need to change passwords often
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's be honest, this is only interesting of there are naked people on these cams........

Are there any?
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the site. Someone posted it on twitter. http://www.insecam.cc
    I know how long this has been going on, (for years), but because this story is all over the place today, how many more people will now be using that site to be nosey? 1000's no doubt. Idiot news sites :)

Always the same. /rolleyes/

Off to view a few cams now.
    Cya :D
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I be disabling the webcam then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I be disabling the webcam then.

They are webcams connected to the internet so they can be accessed remotely.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    artnada wrote: »
    I know how long this has been going on, (for years), but because this story is all over the place today, how many more people will now be using that site to be nosey? 1000's no doubt. Idiot news sites :)

Always the same. /rolleyes/

Off to view a few cams now.
    Cya :D

But the media coverage will prompt some people to check and change the default passwords, which is good. Only cams using the default pw are on that site (they say) so hyperstarsponge just needs to have a non-default (and preferably non-guessable) password.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth do some have a camera pointing to their sleeping baby that's connected to the internet?
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Why on earth do some have a camera pointing to their sleeping baby that's connected to the internet?
    So they can pop out to Maccy D's n get tea for the lil chavvy and keep an eye out for lil Jayden and Mylee.

Cushty mushty innit my chavvy babba. ^_^
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    As I said on my thread, which was ignored :(, I pointed out that because the site also link to the IP address the attached map also shows the location of the camera.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can view all cams on Earthcam but none on Insecam. Nothing loads up. Any idea why? I use Google Chrome & it has Flash built in to & its fully updated
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Would it be worth sticking some black tape over the webcams on my Macbooks?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

perhaps a small picture of the jobsian one in a black turtle neck would be better so as not to get you abducted and re-educated by those who always pray to Culpertino 12 times a day
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Too late now I’ve already seen what you where up to last night.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »

we all did but lets not go there just now as the elephant and the penguins are still having their gimp suits removed and as for the kangaroo well lets just say it's going to take a lot of expensive therapy and those 5 men in turtle necks will probably never view a chicken kiev in the same way again :D
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes..old news, opentopia has shown unsecured cams for years. (not hacked them..just searches for unsecured cams).
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    SkipTracer wrote: »

You did?! :o And what exactly did you see? :D I hope you weren't watch me attempting to dance to Britney Spears songs :p
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    perhaps a small picture of the jobsian one in a black turtle neck would be better so as not to get you abducted and re-educated by those who always pray to Culpertino 12 times a day

Well I could print one out and stick it to the webcam and then I'll be safe from a visit by the men in black turtlenecks ;-)
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lot of stupid people in the world - but its not their fault of course..oh no

Channel 5 suggesting they have been "hacked" which is rubbish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can view all cams on Earthcam but none on Insecam. Nothing loads up. Any idea why? I use Google Chrome & it has Flash built in to & its fully updated

Unfortunately the site is of poor quality and isn't very fast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member

I've been doing that for years.

I think the way in which the MacBook cameras are wired means that the light will only come on when the camera is activated so you'll know when someone has access to the camera.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if anyone wants to see me eating pringles in the nuddy they are welcome too, once you pop you cannae stop
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    I've been doing that for years.

I think the way in which the MacBook cameras are wired means that the light will only come on when the camera is activated so you'll know when someone has access to the camera.

its possible to bypass it in theory so don't rely on the light telling you someones watching you naked eating crisps
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't the police track down those who view these sites? I'd be careful clicking that link if I were you ;)