Proof Of Age Thread

Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,514
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Even though your a grown up adult they still ask you when buying an age restricted product. It was once anyone who looked under 21. Most shops now say 25 is the age if you look under they will ask you but there are other shops that say under 30 when by then your in middle age years. That can be even if you buy a PG rated film so without prof of age the only films they'd let you buy are U rated kids ones. They wont just accept any card as well which was the case with my college card which did have my date of birth on. It was a lottery ticket I tried to buy and they rejected it. They will only accept cards from the government which you have to send off for.

Comments

• BunionsBunions Posts: 14,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give us a clue if you've got one
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,304
    Forum Member
    How I wish I could be asked for my proof of age once again. Sadly, those days are long gone and will never come again.

There are so many positives to being young. Enjoy them and ignore the negatives - one day you will regret it's passing as do I.

Well occasionally I do - there are many positives to being older too:D
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    WinterLily wrote: »
    How I wish I could be asked for my proof of age once again. Sadly, those days are long gone and will never come again.

There are so many positives to being young. Enjoy them and ignore the negatives - one day you will regret it's passing as do I.

Well occasionally I do - there are many positives to being older too:D

Nothing better than a mature woman that knows what she's doing. ;-)
  • DJ JimmyDJ Jimmy Posts: 7,166
    Forum Member
    I still get asked for ID for booze only seems to be in supermarkets though. I'm 25. I don't mind though, the cashier is only doing their job. I know the consequences of getting it wrong and its not good!

I do find the stories like the 50 year old getting ID'd and things like that funny though, in my old job, the computer used to flash up to check if the customer was over 3 years old for certain video games, that just silly.

But checks for things over 18, they seem fine to me. At this rate, I'll still be ID'd for years, but if it keeps workers out of trouble, I don't mind!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tosh. The consequences for the cashier are huge!

1st you have to make a judgment on the person's age.

If YOU think the person maybe under 25, (which needs to be imputed and logged)

Then you are legally bound to ask for id

£3,000 fine for the cashier and most probably their p45.

Then there's the companies fine of tens of thousands.

Still unhappy about being complimented?
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,759
    Forum Member
    I don't really mind it, it makes me feel a little bit happy when they do it. And the penalties for staff are big. One of my mates is going through it for one of their staff serving a 17 year old (I think they are called Mystery shoppers but I'm not sure if that term applies) so I get why they retailers are on top of it,

However, I have been trying to get served for **** in one particular shop since I was 13 years old. They still 10 years on refuse to serve me without ID. They must realise that at some point in those 10 years, I've turned 18. But like I say, I get why they do it.

Some checkout staff do take it too far. You've got an old man, grey hair, Zimmer frame who is quite obviously over 25 and some people still ask.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all a real hoot until you cannot provide Proof of Age or ID in a certain situation or are prosecuted for a genuine mistake.

The Law is unduly onerous, inconsistently applied, over zealously policed, on occasion, and discriminatory (try producing non-UK ID or non-photo ID).

If you don't have a UK Photocard licence or Valid Passport carried with you, you risk problems.
    Even accredited UK photocards, supplied by other approved UK Government agencies, are often refused.

As a humble cashier you might be 'offered' an £80 fixed penalty, but plead a defence at Court and lose, and you could be theoretically liable up to £5000 (not £3000).
    And still at risk with losing your job.

Explanation of the ins and outs here, including Swindon stories of retailers being prosecuted for Persistent Sales (to undercover Test Purchasers) based on sales 2 and a half years apart with 3 legal Test Purchase refusals in between!
  • Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plastic bloody cutlery! I know they have to, and I'd rather that than they get fined etc... but I would like to think I'm clearly over 18, I had a credit card and still wasn't allowed to buy it.

Its the laws fault though, not the workers.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they brought the new law in about age in shops, there was some confusion, and I was asked TWICE if I was old enough.

I did laugh my arse off, but recognised the confusion at the time and took it in good part.

Some shops thought they had to ask everyone or something, even the rather obviously the middle aged.

Working behind the counter I was always calm and tough. The ones who just immediately produced the id were great, and some looked very young indeed.

The ones that got stroppy were either stupid or underage, pain in the arse either way.

Either you or your boss would catch hell if you made a mistake. It ain't all about the customer's feelings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been asked. I'm an old bugger though. Younger people know the will be asked, don't see the problem myself.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tosh. The consequences for the cashier are huge!

1st you have to make a judgment on the person's age.

If YOU think the person maybe under 25, (which needs to be imputed and logged)

Then you are legally bound to ask for id

£3,000 fine for the cashier and most probably their p45.

Then there's the companies fine of tens of thousands.

Still unhappy about being complimented?

I take it you are in Scotland where Challenge 25 is the law, elsewhere in the UK it is simply a policy adopted by some shops.

I agree with others that the current laws are too onerous, personally I think there should be an 'honest belief' defence to any charge of underage selling of booze.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Law is unduly onerous, inconsistently applied, over zealously policed, on occasion, and discriminatory (try producing non-UK ID or non-photo ID).
    No question about this but don't forget how amazingly flattered we are supposed to be when asked for proof (don't forget to giggle coquettishly) which just makes it all so much better. I don't see why people can't just admit that it's a PITA and admit that it's been made a necessity and just leave out the patronising "it's a compliment" thing because nobody comes out well from one of those. If you're close to that age then you are being told you are either underdeveloped or should be past the bum-fluff stage by now, and if you are well older then you have to have some major insecurity issues to think it's an actual compliment.
    The point being - justify it for what it is, don't pretend it's anything else.

And given the price of booze/**** nowadays I find myself wondering where these kids are getting the money from but more importantly how TF their parents aren't noticing them getting home p*ssed and reeking of smoke.
    Just let them have a drink at the pub as long as they behave (always used to work that way), though the problem there is they can't do a complete rebellion because they have to go outside to smoke and increases the chance of being spotted...
    Evo102 wrote: »
    ... personally I think there should be an 'honest belief' defence to any charge of underage selling of booze.
    I had always thought that there was - IIRC it is a defence as listed in the Licensing Act (rest of UK?) but effectively overruled by overpolicing.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never been asked for proof of age. Not even when I was under 18.

I guess I was just born looking like an old git :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    30 is middle aged ?
    I've just turned 40.
    That means I'm passed it...
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only time I've ever been asked for proof of age was when I first turned 60 and was eligible for free prescriptions. The pharmacist wanted proof of age ID. I felt complimented though as they thought I didn't look 60. :).