Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe needed...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,047
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

Anyone got any chocolate cake recipe's ?- that are fairly easy to follow and give good results?.

I am attempting to bake a cake for the first time in a long time. I have used google but either the recipes are too difficult or the instructions given are way too basic.

many thanks in advance

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Nigella Lawson does a good chocolate cloud cake.

http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/N/nigella/bites9.shtml
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How basic? REALLY basic?

Melt some chocolate. Stir in Rice Crispies. Place into buncases and leave to cool. Done.

Or there's always triple choc brownies, involving more calories than there are in the sweets aisle of Tesco. My better half won't divulge her recipe though, but it does involve serious quantities of various types of chocolate and a couple of eggs...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Easiest cheesecake in the world:
    Melt chocolate and mix with marscapone cheese.
    Cursh some digestives and mix with melted butter.
    Put choc&cheese on biscuits
    Chill
    Done.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is how I always made them, found here... http://www.ivillage.co.uk/food/bakingdesserts/baking/articles/0,10103,164352_174170-4,00.html#chocolate

175g butter, softened to room temperature
    175g caster sugar
    3 eggs, preferably at room temperature and lightly beaten
    175g self-raising flour
    25g cocoa powder

For the icing:
    100g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
    100ml double cream

Prepare 2 x 18cm/7in cake tins by oiling lightly and lining with greaseproof paper or baking parchment.
    Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5.
    Place the butter in a large mixing bowl and whip with an electric whisk for a minute, then add the sugar, continuing to whisk until the mixture is smooth and pale.
    Slowly add the beaten eggs and whisk until well incorporated.
    Stop whisking and sift in the flour and cocoa powder and gently fold through until well combined. If it is too thick, add a little milk until you achieve dropping consistency. Spoon evenly between the tins and carefully smooth the top.
    Bake for 25 minutes or until risen and golden, using the above tips to check for doneness. The cake on the top rack may cook slightly quicker than the one on the bottom - you can either swap them halfway through baking or take them out separately. When cool enough to handle, turn out, remove the paper and finish cooling on a wire rack.
    To make the icing, place the chocolate and cream in a bowl and melt gently over a pan of simmering water (or carefully in a microwave), taking care not to overheat. Stir until the mixture is smooth.
    Turn one of the cakes upside down onto a serving plate and pour on half of the icing, spreading in a thin layer to the edges. Place the other cake, right side up, on the iced layer and pour over the remaining icing, spreading to the edges and allowing it to run a little down the sides.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ingredients

180g self-raising flour

60g good quality cocoa or melted chocolate (Green & Blacks or similar)

230g muscovado (or caster) sugar

230g butter

5 eggs

1tsp of baking powder

For the icing:

180g icing sugar

60g cocoa or melted chocolate as before

85g butter

2tbsp strong black coffee

Put all the cake ingredients into a bowl and beat until everything is thoroughly mixed. Empty into a greased cake tin and cook on 180C for approximately 20 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.

Mix the icing ingredients and put inside and on top of the cake, decorate with anything that you think looks nice eg. Smarties for young children or truffles for adults.
  • ErrodielErrodiel Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    antsmusic wrote: »
    Easiest cheesecake in the world:
    Melt chocolate and mix with marscapone cheese.
    Cursh some digestives and mix with melted butter.
    Put choc&cheese on biscuits
    Chill
    Done.

Or philadelphia. Seriously!

Replace the chocolate with some sugar and lemond rind and voila! Lemon cheesecake. Yummy :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone, going to get the ingredients today and attempt tomorrow.

Fingers crossed that

a) I don't burn the house down

b) that my "cake" is edible.

thanks again