• Options
    roidboy_roidboy_ Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indeed...she's all about her music
  • Options
    acid rainacid rain Posts: 6,997
    Forum Member
    She'll be kinda Chav in american perceptions though. She's from Queens, NY, kinda like Clapham.

It's not about where you come from. You can't help where you're born. If someone comes from a rough area it doesn't automatically make them a chav. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    She is definitely an A lister in her known profession, music. Her accomplishments, awards and sales can attest to that. If she's not, then not many are.
  • Options
    BaffrobesBaffrobes Posts: 3,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    caren197 wrote: »
    Course she is...you couldn't compare her to the Jordans and Kerry Katonas of the world could you???

Your right, their B-listers, or as I like to call them... Blisters (on societys arse).

Never been a fan of Alicia Keys, but I can appreciate that she's extremely talented and sounded amazing at the Brats with that fella who just talks over a heartbeat moniter. Think he was called something like Shizzle Mc Fizzle or Jay- rappy-crappy-dappy-shooty-looty-bootilicious -zee.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She'll be kinda Chav in american perceptions though. She's from Queens, NY, kinda like Clapham.

Surely the place you come from doesn't determine whether you are a chav or not.
    It's more a 'way' isn't it?, an attitude, what you wear, how you talk and how you behave than a pre-determined thing because you come from somewhere like Clapham...
    Unfortunately, you could be a Chav and come from anywhere.
    I suppose each era have their 'rebel-ish' people who others look at and shake their head at, if that makes sense. In my day in the early 80's people would look at Punks in a similar way, kind of cross over the street from a group of them just because of the way they looked.
    Although to be fair to punks, they were a lot less lairy (sp) ! well the ones I knew were.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She's A lister - and she's one who deserves to be as well, because she has a terrific talent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not old (38), but I can remember a time when people needed a talent to become famous, a talent which showed you out from the crowd. In the past the only the talentless people who made it "famous" were mistresses & bank robbers (It was more infamy), e.g. (Christine Keeler, Ronnie Briggs). but she did kiss and tell , she was exposed and made a pittance of money from the press.
    Today someone could put their Dik in Dom, ring the DS and earn more than we do in a year for a story.

The wag culture is making young women aspire to get with a footballer & the Male chav culture is unwilling to learn so leaves school with no qualifications and impregnates the wannabe wag. when she's 15/16, its a good job that we have benefits so they can go get their big bag of skunk for the week "coz it keepz me calm innit.......The only time these people get a holiday is when Jeremy Kyle calls...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the most talented singer song writers of her generation and the woman responsible for some of the best songs in her genre of the 00's. If people really don't think she's A list then I don't know what they are thinking.

Surely the A list are the super talented and not the fame ****?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Chav is nothing to do with where you start out from, it's how you conduct yourself and where you end up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread could be interesting, yes Alicia keys is A-list (we have Myleen class) who has the talent on piano, but no edge, and cant hit notes and perform like Miss Keys (she does have better wobberly jumblats though). We dont have a comparison to the top Femail U.S. singers in talent. Theirs a couple who could compete with Brit Spears, but the whole world is getting sick of miming now so hopefully this shift of balance to live talent will uncover the real stars. We also need to knock the fabricated goat bollocks called the x-factor too, read the events list in your local newspapers, go support up and coming bands, not the media whoring, pretty, vacuous egotists on a fast-track to stardom playing at the gmex Cowell Karaokefest :mad:
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Radio 2 think so-wish i had a pound for every time theve played that dreary "New York" thing
  • Options
    caren197caren197 Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baffrobes wrote: »
    I'm not old (38), but I can remember a time when people needed a talent to become famous, a talent which showed you out from the crowd. In the past the only the talentless people who made it "famous" were mistresses & bank robbers (It was more infamy), e.g. (Christine Keeler, Ronnie Briggs). but she did kiss and tell , she was exposed and made a pittance of money from the press.
    Today someone could put their Dik in Dom, ring the DS and earn more than we do in a year for a story.

The wag culture is making young women aspire to get with a footballer & the Male chav culture is unwilling to learn so leaves school with no qualifications and impregnates the wannabe wag. when she's 15/16, its a good job that we have benefits so they can go get their big bag of skunk for the week "coz it keepz me calm innit.......The only time these people get a holiday is when Jeremy Kyle calls...

Are you comparing Alicia Keys to someone on Jeremy Kyle :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't she an actress too? I remember her having a part in a film which had Scarlett Johansson in it.

Yes, she was SJ's friend in 'The Nanny Diaries' and I think she's been in a couple of other films too, though I've not seen them :)
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A list talent but much lower down the stakes on the lifestyle/profile/media exposure side of things.

She's too low-key to be called A list imo. Not that that's a bad thing, mind
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She obviously has a genuine talent and has achieved stellar success in her field but is relatively low-profile compared to many artists these days.

I've never personally bought any of her music though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    frasera wrote: »
    she's pretty, but she's been getting a pass mostly from that, and her ability to play a piano and sing, like its so surprising. but her songs are horrible.
    she needs to stop writing her own songs...seriously.

Yeah her worldwide multi million selling albums are just awful....the girl just can't write :rolleyes:

A lister without a doubt!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But everyone in this country knows who they are ... so they are A-listers here.

Katie Price and Kerry Katona are A listers? I disagree. It doesn't matter how many people know or have heard of them, untalented fame/attention **** = Z list. Most of the people who know Katie Price or Kerry Katona don't actually admire or like them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soapsrus wrote: »
    Yeah her worldwide multi million selling albums are just awful....the girl just can't write :rolleyes:

A lister without a doubt!

Yep, those 12 Grammys and 75 other music awards must all be flukes ;)
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would classify her as an A Lister. Straight to the VIP lounge for Miss Keys!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her music mostly isn't to my tastes but there is no denying she's extremely talented and worthy of the recognition she gets within the industry. And she comes across as a very dignified performer who stays out of the tabloids and is focused solely on her career. I really admire her for that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    See, i'm not sure. In America she's massive but over here she's only relatively well known. Until very recently she was just known as the slightly boring piano girl with very few hits, imo. Thankfully she's now got a #1 album and has had a #4 and #8 single and is seemingly alot more recognized but i'd say she still has a long way to go before she is up there with the likes of Beyonce, Rihanna, GaGa, Avril or even Katy Perry.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but I have to disagree with you Ms Keys is already up there with the likes of B, Gaga who are all very talented girls and A-Listers imo....She has done very well for someone who has shifted over 30 million records worldwide and on her fourth record....she might come off as the boring piano girl, but Alicia shows that you don't have to be all sexy/dish about your personal life to shift records and still be classy and talented musician/singer/songwriter unlike Rihanna, Katy Perry etc. who are more style over substance....I respect her more than the likes of Katy Perry and Rihanna....xo
  • Options
    Simon1984Simon1984 Posts: 5,792
    Forum Member
    sam_h786 wrote: »
    Sorry but I have to disagree with you Ms Keys is already up there with the likes of B, Gaga who are all very talented girls and A-Listers imo....she might come off as the boring piano girl, but Alicia shows that you don't have to be all sexy/dish about your personal life to shift records and still be classy and talented musician/singer/songwriter unlike Rihanna, Katy Perry etc. who are more style over substance....I respect her more than the likes of Katy Perry and Rihanna....xo

Exactly. she's also proved her longevity in that she's been in the public eye for almost 10 years now. It will be interesting to see where the likes of Rihanna and Katy Perry will be in 10 years time as you know Ms Keys will still be around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon1984 wrote: »
    Exactly. she's also proved her longevity in that she's been in the public eye for almost 10 years now. It will be interesting to see where the likes of Rihanna and Katy Perry will be in 10 years time as you know Ms Keys will still be around.

Precisely, she's been in the industry for nearly a decade, she's a very underrated artist and I think she will be in it longer....Yeah it will be very interesting to see where Katy and Rihanna will end up....xo
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    I don't know about Katy, but I can't see Rihanna's singing career lasting. I think she should go into modelling or acting or something because she can't sing at all.

Alicia, like Beyonce, will still be around 10 years from now.