Sports Personality of the Year 2010

Comments

• TheGrouchTheGrouch Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Eejit wrote: »
    The horses are quicker without the rider.

You definitely can't say that about an F1 car. ;)

The skill involved in motor racing is in a different league to sitting on a horse, hitting it once in a while, and avoiding eating too many pies lest you slow it down even more than normal...

Eejit by name....

Regards
    TG
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You definitely can't say that about and F1 car. ;)

The skill involved in motor racing is in a different league to sitting on a horse, hitting it once in a while, and avoiding eating too many pies lest you slow it down even more than normal...

It takes great physical strength and skill to control a half ton horse in a five or six minute race : if the jockey was in any way unfit,he would tire rapidly and probably fall off the horse due to exhaustion.
  • SegaGodSegaGod Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    We've had several F1 drivers win over the years and a few ice skaters : does anyone really think they are far more deserving than a national hunt jockey?

They don't. Anyone who think an F1 driver ( even though its the best car that wins ) deserves the award ahead of a jockey and a darts player is clown to be honest.

My faith in the british public is restored tonight
  • SegaGodSegaGod Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are probably people attending Premiership matches these days who fit the same bill.

and every other sport, except for the real niche ones
  • EejitEejit Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheGrouch wrote: »
    Eejit by name....

Regards
    TG
    I notice you can't actually dispute the points I'm making, so have to resort to petty insults... :p
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

You definitely can't say that about an F1 car. ;)

The jockeys job entails a lot more than just making the horse run fast...........he's got to hold it up to conserve it's energy to get the trip, he's got to steer it around the course. He's got to judge the pace at which the others are going...........does he need to go a bit faster to maintain position or can he let the ones in front go off knowing that they'll tire and come back to him

He's not only got to know what his horse is capable of but what all the others in the race are capable of
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It takes great physical strength and skill to control a half ton horse in a five or six minute race : if the jockey was in any way unfit,he would tire rapidly and probably fall off the horse due to exhaustion.
    Exhaustion from holding on - it's a tough job. :D They might as well make rollercoaster riding a sport.

Oh course, if he did fall off, the horse would likely be quicker. Which just show how much of a contribution the jockey is making. ;)
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exhaustion from holding on - it's a tough job. :D They might as well make rollercoaster riding a sport.

Oh course, if he did fall off, the horse would likely be quicker. Which just show how much of a contribution the jockey is making. ;)

You are obviously on a wind up now. A sports fan would know that you are talking rubbish so i am guessing you are deliberately trying to wind people up now
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    You are obviously on a wind up now. A sports fan would know that you are talking rubbish so i am guessing you are deliberately trying to wind people up now
    He's funnier than James Corden though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing I've said is rubbish. And I'm not seeking to wind anyone up. ;) Though it seems that racing fans do get wound up very easily when people point out the facts of their 'sport'. :)

My favourite defence was the idea that jockeys are definitely sportsmen because they have eat very little. That really did make me laugh. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They're not just holding on though : look at a jockey at the end of a three mile steeplechase and he will often look exhausted and out of breath.It's not the same as riding a motorbike and steering it around the course.....it's actually physically very demanding as the horse is also jumping over fences.
    Forum Member

Are Tesco giving you extra points for pure stupidity ? F1 car would go faster without the weight of the driver. You need the driver to drive the car, just as you need the jockey to steer and propel a horse.

BTW, who do you think should have won ?

Regards
    TG
  • RichN95RichN95 Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McCoy won by miles. 42% of the vote. Taylor got 10%

Full votes:

1. Tony McCoy 293,152 (41.98%)
    2. Phil Taylor 72,095 (10.33)
    3. Jessica Ennis 62,953 (9.02)
    4. Lee Westwood 58,640 (8.4)
    5. Graeme McDowell 52,108 (7.46)
    6. Tom Daley 50,763 (7.27%)
    7. Mark Cavendish 44,170 (6.33)
    8. Amy Williams 43,056 (6.17)
    9. Graeme Swann 13,767 (1.97)
    10. David Haye 7,538 (1.08)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are Tesco giving you extra points for pure stupidity ? F1 car would go faster without the weight of the driver. You need the driver to drive the car, just as you need the jockey to steer and propel a horse.

BTW, who do you think should have won ?

Regards
    TG
    An F1 car without the driver wouldn't make it round the first corner. :rolleyes: I do like the idea that a jockey propels a horse though - does he secretly push it round the course? ;)

Any of the sportspeople would have been deserving winners over the non-sportspeople.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RichN95 wrote: »
    McCoy won by miles. 42% of the vote. Taylor got 10%

Full votes:

As expected really. It was a well-organised campaign to dominate the vote.

Though it was surprisingly close between 3rd and 8th - wouldn't have taken much for any of them to grab the bronze.
    Forum Member

Any of the sportspeople would have been deserving winners over the non-sportspeople.

Please define what a 'sportspeople' (if that's a word) is.

Golf and darts sports ? Diving? Lying on a sled ? Competing in a niche athletic event ?

Regards
    TG
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horse races with ten horses just wondering around - bit of a trot, bit of a snack - would be good viewing in a way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An F1 car without the driver wouldn't make it round the first corner. :rolleyes: I do like the idea that a jockey propels a horse though - does he secretly push it round the course? ;)

Propel is a good word : the jockey has control over what speed the horse is travelling at,whether cantering or at full gallop.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a real sport : the Cheltenham Festival attracts fifty or sixty thousand racing fans a day every March.These are not just "gamblers" but people who come to watch the best horses and jockeys in Britain and Ireland compete at the highest level.

I'd actually say a small percentage were passionate & knowledgable about the sport. I go to Cheltenham most year's but do so cos it's a good fun day out, I am not that into the intricacies of the Sport.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please define what a 'sportspeople' (if that's a word) is.

Golf and darts sports ? Diving? Lying on a sled ? Competing in a niche athletic event ?

Regards
    TG
    Darts is a passtime. A good one, admittedly

The rest are sports.

Though darts is at least closer to being a sport than horse racing. Good bit of stamina involved. ;)
    Forum Member
    Pavster wrote: »
    Horse races with ten horses just wondering around - bit of a trot, bit of a snack - would be good viewing in a way.

Why are the anti-McCoy people posting such gibberish ?

Regards
    TG
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RichN95 wrote: »

Interesting to see how far wrong the betting was re McDowell.

To think that he was around 5-1 2nd favourite to win throughout most of the programme and in fact he was nowhere.

Daley was well over 100-1 at times and got just about the same number of votes.

As a rule, people who perform only (or largely) on Pay TV generally find it very hard to win.

Is Calzaghe the only exception to this rule?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are the anti-McCoy people posting such gibberish ?

Regards
    TG

I'm not anti McCoy. Just had a pythonesque image of ten horses walking around and people betting on it (apparently they run faster without jockeys).

Was a gentle mocking of an anti McCoy poster in fact.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Interesting to see how far wrong the betting was re McDowell.
    The betting seems to have forgotten that the golf vote was split which was always going to make things difficult for them. I suppose without the split 2nd place might have been a possibility.

Daley's odds at times were really weird. He might be in a niche sport, but he's got a very dedicated personal fanbase and was always going to do reasonably well.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No real arguments with McCoy, not a passionate horse racing fan but fair play on his achievements. Also it was a landslide win too judging by the votes. Fairly close Percentage wise between 2nd & 8th. I will upset the darts fraternity but a joke that a fat darts player has beaten some of those below him.