Options

Should I Be Feeling Like This After First Driving Lesson?

bk2006bk2006 Posts: 1,176
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I had my first 2 hr driving session today aged 22.

Talking about all the controls aside I got around 35 mins of moving off and stopping practice around the block. I stalled and clipped the kerb once. My final stop was perfect.

While I am proud as I have never driven a car before I can't help but feel overwhelmed - in my head I am thinking how can one do the mirrors, accelerate, indicate etc The coordination just doesn't seem to click with me ...yet...

I'm probably answering my own question but coordination does get better with time doesn't it !? I want to feel rhythm to my driving not just some random guess.

I'm probably being too harsh on myself.

Advice please :D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does come together for most people. Some people it comes together very quickly, others not so. 2 hours is absolute zero time so yes, you are being hard on yourself. Enjoy learning and good luck.
  • Options
    Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On my first lesson I was out on the open road doing 60mph and driving twisty country lanes, at a lower speed of course, with a professional instructor. I think she was trying to use up fuel. :D

I felt great after it, and my confidence was boosted after having worried about it for so long building up to it. Driving lessons, and driving in general, are different for everyone, so you should be very proud of what you've achieved. Your confidence will build over time, and your co-ordination will, too. Good luck. :)
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    How your feeling is quite normal. Its just a matter of practice and putting the hours in behind the wheel. In time you will drive without even thinking about what you are actually doing.
  • Options
    GinaHGinaH Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It won't be long before you are changing gear without thinking about it, and all your other stuff, MSM, until eventually you will drive home and forget any part about doing it. You will pull up, switch the engine off and think to youself, "I can't remember how I got here!" In other words, driving will soon become like walking to you, completely natural.
  • Options
    macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can be quite daunting to start with. It was incredibly useful for me to do lots of practice between lessons, if you've got someone that can do that with then do it at every opportunity, even if it's just popping to the shops.

And it will come together, then it'll feel like second nature.
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Yes you have answered your own question, it's a lot to take on at first but as time goes on it'll become second nature and you'll be texting, updating your FB and skinning up at 60mph before you know it!

Well done for taking the plunge, good luck :)
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you sound as though you did fine. My first lesson, my instructor picked me up on a main road, made me get in the drivers seat, explained the controls and told me to drive off! I was petrified and ended up driving to a town about five miles away and home again. After my third lesson he used to sleep while I drove home. I did pass my test though. It can seem overwhelming at first but soon it will be second nature.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bk2006 wrote: »
    I had my first 2 hr driving session today aged 22.

Talking about all the controls aside I got around 35 mins of moving off and stopping practice around the block. I stalled and clipped the kerb once. My final stop was perfect.

While I am proud as I have never driven a car before I can't help but feel overwhelmed - in my head I am thinking how can one do the mirrors, accelerate, indicate etc The coordination just doesn't seem to click with me ...yet...

I'm probably answering my own question but coordination does get better with time doesn't it !? I want to feel rhythm to my driving not just some random guess.

I'm probably being too harsh on myself.

Advice please :D

Dont expect too much too quickly. Like all things learning to drive can take hours of practice. For some it is quicker than others.

Dont give up too quickly, you need to give it a chance.

And remember, ALL THE BEST DRIVERS TAKE MORE THAN 1 ATTEMPT TO PASS THEIR DRIVING TEST. I have been in the car of many of those who passed first time and have feared for my existance!! I reckon it is because they dont have the hours of experience of those who take 2 or more attempts to pass.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Perfectly normal. All these things will become instinctive as the car becomes an extension of yourself which happens with practice.

It takes us months to learn to control our legs to walk once we do we never think consciously about them, same with learning to control a car.
  • Options
    bk2006bk2006 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GinaH wrote: »
    It won't be long before you are changing gear without thinking about it, and all your other stuff, MSM, until eventually you will drive home and forget any part about doing it. You will pull up, switch the engine off and think to youself, "I can't remember how I got here!" In other words, driving will soon become like walking to you, completely natural.

I'm glad to hear this. I am prepared to stick with it as long as it takes. I've got regular weekly lessons booked up. I just need to get over that first time feeling and really grasp this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also remember to buy an older car when you first pass. Most drivers have a prang within 1 year of passing.
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    And remember, ALL THE BEST DRIVERS TAKE MORE THAN 1 ATTEMPT TO PASS THEIR DRIVING TEST. I have been in the car of many of those who passed first time and have feared for my existance!! I reckon it is because they dont have the hours of experience of those who take 2 or more attempts to pass.

I reckon it's just something some people who failed first time say to make themselves feel better.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had 2 driving lessons when I was 19, I hated it and didn't have another lesson for 5 years, I later went on to be a bus driver.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bk2006 wrote: »
    I'm glad to hear this. I am prepared to stick with it as long as it takes. I've got regular weekly lessons booked up. I just need to get over that first time feeling and really grasp this.

You will do it. I remember kangaroo hopping on my first lesson, and feeling exactly like you.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    ,,, ALL THE BEST DRIVERS TAKE MORE THAN 1 ATTEMPT TO PASS THEIR DRIVING TEST. ,,,

I doubt there is any evidence for that. I have no doubt some people who fail a number of tests turn out to be very good drivers as no doubt do many who pass first time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I passed first time and consider myself a safe driver, except in snow or ice, when I am liable to skid into things.
  • Options
    StaceySkyStaceySky Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started my first ever lessons in Jan and I'm 21
    I felt the same. I'm still learning to drive, I have days where I get everything right, then days where I mess up a lot, however I'm slowly getting better.
    Within time you will feel yourself improving.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somebody once told me that if you can drive in London, you can drive anywhere.

My first, or maybe my second lesson was driving round Marble Arch before traffic the traffic lights were introduced....or was it Hammersmith Roundabout? :confused:

I failed my test twice.:o but have no problem driving anywhere.

Edit - OP, don't give up!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    I doubt there is any evidence for that. I have no doubt some people who fail a number of tests turn out to be very good drivers as no doubt do many who pass first time.

Just injecting a bit of humour!!!

However, I do remember one memorable occasion. A friend, who passed first time invited me for a spin in his car. He tootled along at below 20 mph in town (mainly in 4th gear), overshot a least 4 junctions and ran over a big red 'Road Closed' sign stood in front of him in the middle of the road - all in about 5 - 10 minutes of me being sat in the car. I was just amazed!!!! Even more so that he had passed as being safe to drive.
  • Options
    bluesmurfbluesmurf Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    You will get used to it along with making better judgements on when to slow down, pull to one side to let a car pass etc

What is good for learning is getting stuck in traffic, busy roundabouts at a weekend and going down a road after it has rained and sun has come out making it almost impossible to see.
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just injecting a bit of humour!!!

However, I do remember one memorable occasion. A friend, who passed first time invited me for a spin in his car. He tootled along at below 20 mph in town (mainly in 4th gear), overshot a least 4 junctions and ran over a big red 'Road Closed' sign stood in front of him in the middle of the road - all in about 5 - 10 minutes of me being sat in the car. I was just amazed!!!! Even more so that he had passed as being safe to drive.

My mate's mother took 7 attempts and many years to pass then drove into the back of a bus as it pulled over at a a bus stop a few months after finally passing her test.

Individual anecdotes don't really prove much.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And remember, ALL THE BEST DRIVERS TAKE MORE THAN 1 ATTEMPT TO PASS THEIR DRIVING TEST.

MASSIVE generalisation.
    I reckon it is because they dont have the hours of experience of those who take 2 or more attempts to pass.

I had plenty of hours of experience (a great many in my father's car, to places like Blackpool), before passing first time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    OP I'm just like you except I'm the ripe old age of 35 & I've just started learning.

What really baffles me is gears - I'm sure I'll get it eventually but at the moment I can't get the hang of coming down gears to turn a corner. Going up the gears is fine then the fear sets in when I realise I've to come back down too!

Good luck :)
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GinaH wrote: »
    I passed first time and consider myself a safe driver, except in snow or ice, when I am liable to skid into things.

I passed first time, and I'm more than comfortable, driving on snow or ice.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't even allowed to drive on my first lesson because i was so terrible so i'd say you did well :D