Corbyn set to win Labour Leadership race

Comments

• Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again, how are Right wing austerity policies implemented by a Right wing leader of the Labour Party helping the vulnerable in society? :confused:

Do you think austerity implemented by them is somehow better than when implemented by the Tories?
    So you think being practical and believing that there has to be some austerity means you are right wing? How does continually spending what we haven't got help the vulnerable exactly? You know there are many of us on the centre left that believes there has to be some balance.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Miliband is really starting to piss me off.
    He lost the contest quits as MP runs off to America then waits for the inevitable Failure then lets rip. Now today he informs everyone how amazing Liz is (when in fact her as leader would mean agreeing with almost everything this government is doing just doing some lame lipservice on minor issues)

Its more a case people aren't in lemming mode and want to push the party onto the rocks below they actually want a party that isn't scared to speak for the people currently being hammered. that isn't scared of putting forward a different direction.

So far

Cooper has spoken but still haven't a clue what she would actually do.
    Burnham changes his mind as often as his underpants/Hairstyle
    Liz "we need to convince business we are credible..."

If labour want to know why this is such a shambles just look at the Quality of the candidates and stop trying to kid everyone they believe 2020 is winnable . They know its another 5 years out of power they just want a sock puppet in place to keep the shadow front bench warm and no turbulence
  • The_AwakendThe_Awakend Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »

Pleased at your reincarnation of course

What does that mean? You guys Buddhists or something?
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    So you think being practical and believing that there has to be some austerity means you are right wing? How does continually spending what we haven't got help the vulnerable exactly? You know there are many of us on the centre left that believes there has to be some balance.

I do not accept that ideological austerity is an example of being "practical", but of getting the people to suffer for the shortcomings of a bankrupt socio-economic construct.

I don't know what you mean by "centre Left" - a supporter of the status quo maybe?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why? A Right wing Labour Party would be indistinguishable from the present government.

What's in a name?
    It wouldn't be a right wing Labour party. It's just you think anyone that is the of the right to you is right wing when they are not. Are you seriously saying that public services didn't improve under 13 years of Labour? You seriously think they were exactly the same has the hell of 18 years under the Tories?
    Forum Member
    It wouldn't be a right wing Labour party. It's just you think anyone that is the of the right to you is right wing when they are not. Are you seriously saying that public services didn't improve under 13 years of Labour? You seriously think they were exactly the same has the hell of 18 years under the Tories?

No, Corbyn is to the Right of me, but I fully accept he is Left wing.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you seriously saying that public services didn't improve under 13 years of Labour? You seriously think they were exactly the same has the hell of 18 years under the Tories?

I don't think Labour did well on value for money. Public services did improve slightly, but at enormous cost. See all the money literally thrown at the NHS without regard to whether it was being spent properly or sustainably, for example. Like all those horribly expensive PFI hospitals.

But no matter, that's what debt is for
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not accept that ideological austerity is an example of being "practical", but of getting the people to suffer for the shortcomings of a bankrupt socio-economic construct.

I don't know what you mean by "centre Left" - a supporter of the status quo maybe?
    Who sais it has to be ideological? Seriously if you think being moderate means just accepting the status quo I really feel sorry for you. Labour is supposed to be centre left not hard left like you want it to be.
    Forum Member
    Who sais it has to be ideological? Seriously if you think being moderate means just accepting the status quo I really feel sorry for you. Labour is supposed to be centre left not hard left like you want it to be.

What else can it mean? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The political scale has shifted to the hard right. What was once centre left is where Corbyn stands
  • MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, Corbyn is to the Right of me.

Apologies for the delay but there is your distinction between extreme left and bonkers left ;-)
  • Fappy_McFapperFappy_McFapper Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And now there are reports that Cooper has called for Burnham to step aside.

Unbelievable cheek.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, Corbyn is to the Right of me, but I fully accept he is Left wing.

To be fair, 99.999% of the population are to the right of you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    I don't think Labour did well on value for money. Public services did improve slightly, but at enormous cost. See all the money literally thrown at the NHS without regard to whether it was being spent properly or sustainably, for example. Like all those horribly expensive PFI hospitals.

But no matter, that's what debt is for
    I am trying to keep up here. So it is back to Labour spending too much. 1 minute they spent all our money then the next minute they should be commiting to spending more money otherwise they are just the same as the Tories? Maybe this thread is really showing why Labour really is in trouble at the moment?
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unbelievable cheek.

She really has been terrible this campaign why did she even stand?
    she gives the Art of Waffling a new meaning
  • rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »

So neither survey gives an indication of the sample size. Very scientific.

There were 10 "discussion groups". Where there 3 people in the group, or 30 or 300?

And the first survey spoke to working people only, so presumably the views of pensioners, students and the unemployed have absolutely no relevance?

The second survey is a classic push poll. I mean, how loaded is a poll statement like: "We must live within our means, so cutting the deficit is the top priority.” !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The political scale has shifted to the hard right. What was once centre left is where Corbyn stands
    In your world. Corbyn is no where near the centre.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What else can it mean? :confused:
    Oh dear. So you have to be on the extreme right or the extreme left otherwise you are someone who just accepts the status quo?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In your world. Corbyn is no where near the centre.

Not in 2015 Britain where for the past decade, the Parliamentary New Labour Party have constantly been shuffling to the right, to the point of being the Tories' 5 o clock shadow, yet still think they're not right enough
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    ISee all the money literally thrown at the NHS without regard to whether it was being spent properly or sustainably, for example. Like all those horribly expensive PFI hospitals.

Thank goodness that in light of such gross incompetence, the Tories decided to let their donors run hospitals with the ruthless efficiency that only private enterprise can provide:

Circle asks for £9.6m bailout for privately run NHS hospital
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not in 2015 Britain where for the past decade, the Parliamentary New Labour Party have constantly been shuffling to the right, to the point of being the Tories' 5 o clock shadow, yet still think they're not right enough
    As I said in your world. Anything that isn't hard left is right wing to you.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am trying to keep up here. So it is back to Labour spending too much. 1 minute they spent all our money then the next minute they should be commiting to spending more money otherwise they are just the same as the Tories? Maybe this thread is really showing why Labour really is in trouble at the moment?

Other people may have different opinions to me. Mine is that the right amount of money should be spent responsibly. Labour seemed to have problems with both overspending, and wasting what was overspent on total rubbish
    rhod wrote: »
    Thank goodness that in light of such gross incompetence, the Tories decided to let their donors run hospitals with the ruthless efficiency that only private enterprise can provide:

Circle asks for £9.6m bailout for privately run NHS hospital

Is that the hospital that Labour themselves started the sell-off for?

http://www.rcn.org.uk/newsevents/news/article/eastern_stories/proposals_for_hinchingbrooke_hospital

Published: 23 July 2009 - you mean, while Labour were in power? Surely not.

http://health.spectator.co.uk/who-privatised-hinchingbrooke-hospital-and-does-it-matter/
    ‘Frankly we find it all a bit bizarre. It’s a matter of fact that the tender was an open competitive process, and it was clear by the end of 2009 that Hinchingbrooke would be run by a private company. We signed the contract under this government, but before Lansley’s health act became law. It’s just not a party political thing in our view. We can only assume that everyone is being very generous about sharing the credit for a well-run little hospital.’

That last sentence was said rather prematurely, of course
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, under the stewardship of the Tory-lite wing of the Labour Party.

Which is exactly why the real Labour Party is reasserting itself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    With the UK's binary political process being out of power is akin to not mattering at all, if Corbyn gets in Labour will be a party of protest and that is all. In Europe they could go into a coalition with other parties at some point and get some of their manifesto into action, much like the Lib Dem's did but in the UK this will not happen.
    They can carp, whinge and moan but they will make very little difference to Britain at all. This seems to be fine to some people, as someone who wants British politics to improve I see this as a massive backwards step.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unbelievable cheek.

Doubt it as it's too late now, full members got the ballot this morning and I would imagine many of us will have voted already (it's online voting).