Atomic Season - BBC4

2»

Comments

• anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ATNotts wrote: »
    The Sellafield documentary was excellent, it explained the science at a level that enabled me, as someone who never really "got on" with physics, could understand without turning it into the sort of dumbed down science that we so see much of these days.

This was the sort of programme that BBC2 was set up to make, and that BBC4 has now taken on since BBC2 itself was comprehensively dumbed down.

A previous documentary on the fire at Windscale, I'm sure also BBC, showed the reason for the fire, unbelievably dangerous reactor design that caused spent fuel rods to jam when ejected. There was also a section that showed that a lot of contamination escaped, depute the chimney filters, and glowing radio active material was found around the station, which had to be located and dealt with immediately. Why this was omitted? I'll leave you to decide.
    At the time all our parents banned us from drinking school milk as no one could tell them where it came from. This annoyed the teachers as they had to open all the bottles and throw it away.
    There was a lot of white wash in this documentary, presumably to get access. That isn't good enough though is it? The opening of THORP was very highly controversial at the time as well as we had to process and store foreign waste to make it profitable.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    ffa1 wrote: »
    War Book was terrific.

Especially the bit where Phoebe Fox hitched up her skirt! She has to be the sexiest woman on the planet at the moment.

Really really enjoyed War Book up until part three and the stupid skirt thing, no need for that and broke my concentration.
    I'm guessing that was there as a way to lever in the dialogue.
    Even with Ben Chaplin playing an irksome middle class twot, again, I was still enjoying it.
    I found myself grinning constantly up to that point.
    Props all round to all involved.
    That could have stretched out to 2 hours and it still would have been as good, just allowed some of the other characters (yerman from Misfits for example) to expand.

Do we get much of '6 people in a room talking' type of drama on TV any more, sort of thing that could easily have been on stage?
    Anyway overall even with me messing with Timeshift it held my attention.
    I'll download it, don't know when I'll be in the right mood to watch it again though, but it's worth keeping in my archive for a later date.
    Probably over a TByte of BBC stuff on the computer already, mind.

Phoebe Fox, couldn't remember what I'd seen her in before, it was ITV's young Witches thing Switched which had potential IMO, shame it got axed rather than developed, I liked it, but am probably 10+ years outside the target demographic.
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phoebe Fox also played the young Vanessa Bell in Life in Squares, the BBC drama about the Bloomsbury Group which has just ended.

She was also the lead in The Woman in Black 2.
  • kitchenpersonkitchenperson Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    In addition to a missed opportunity in not showing "War Games" again, this would have been an ideal time to repeat the "QED" episod "A Guide To Armageddon" from July 1982.
    http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/20?adv=1&q=A+Guide+to+Armageddon&media=tv&yf=1982&yt=1983&mf=1&mt=12&tf=19%3A00&tt=00%3A00#search

I remember watching the spin-off documentary "The Underground Test" where the two couples had to stay in a nuclear bunker (one DIY, one deluxe) for a period of days too.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caught up on the Sellafield doco and thought it was very good despite a somewhat "Newsround" type delivery from Jimbo, talking to camera as if the audience were slightly dense.

War Book was a missed opportunity I thought. Threatened to get good around the hour mark when Chaplin revealed to Phoebe that this was being done for reasons other than just practice but they left it hanging and it went nowhere after that other than perving over her arse which struck a very bum-note! :D

Badly needed a twist at the end but instead it just fizzled out. No excuse really as they didn't need to spend a penny more on whizz-bang just have some dialogue that ended the film on a more apocalyptic tone.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Caught up on the Sellafield doco and thought it was very good despite a somewhat "Newsround" type delivery from Jimbo, talking to camera as if the audience were slightly dense.

War Book was a missed opportunity I thought. Threatened to get good around the hour mark when Chaplin revealed to Phoebe that this was being done for reasons other than just practice but they left it hanging and it went nowhere after that other than perving over her arse which struck a very bum-note! :D

Badly needed a twist at the end but instead it just fizzled out. No excuse really as they didn't need to spend a penny more on whizz-bang just have some dialogue that ended the film on a more apocalyptic tone.

I have been reading some comments on 'War Book' from someone who has done much research on the subject. He basically thought it was a load of rubbish and bore no resemblance to reality. I think he lasted about ten minutes before switching off, I will delete my recording and not even bother watching any of it.
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    I have been reading some comments on 'War Book' from someone who has done much research on the subject. He basically thought it was a load of rubbish and bore no resemblance to reality. I think he lasted about ten minutes before switching off, I will delete my recording and not even bother watching any of it.

Surprised whoever it was lasted that long if they were expecting something based on reality, it was clearly a drama, lots of person stuff and backstory was evident from the beginning, reality was merely a jumping off point.
    I didn't even occur to me that it might have been based on reality.

Hey ho, I thought it was good and bares a second viewing at some point.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised whoever it was lasted that long if they were expecting something based on reality, it was clearly a drama, lots of person stuff and backstory was evident from the beginning, reality was merely a jumping off point.
    I didn't even occur to me that it might have been based on reality.

Hey ho, I thought it was good and bares a second viewing at some point.

I think he struggled to stay that long.

It might be a drama but you still expect it to bear some resemblance to reality and the writer to have done a bit of research.

The trouble is that many people never read non-fiction or watch documentaries and so believe that things like that are true.
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    I think he struggled to stay that long.

It might be a drama but you still expect it to bear some resemblance to reality and the writer to have done a bit of research.

The trouble is that many people never read non-fiction or watch documentaries and so believe that things like that are true.

What You and some other blokey 'expect' is different to what I 'expected', I came at it with no idea what to expect, as I'd read nothing about it, clearly, set it's stall out within the first couple of minutes.
    'The trouble is' could apply to CSI, Casualty to Columbo, drama with reality used as a jumping off point.
    Anyway this is buggerall to do with the actual content IMO and doing it a disservice, as I thought it was a cracking bit of work from all involved, apart a few minutes that annoyed me, I smiled from start to finish.