Options

Rapidshare Down ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    The web ui is win. Because Im effectively running it on a server I just turn the webui on and browse to it.. and you can control most things from there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was using orbit as my download manager, just switched to jdownloader and it has a setting to use the https automatically without having to change the link manually.

Sorted....

How do you do that?
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    is rs back for vm customers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    is rs back for vm customers?

I just managed to get something, but didn't someone say they are capping it during set hours?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RS seems to be working but megaupload aint
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin tweet
    virginmedia Folks - we are aware some customers unable to access Rapidshare/MegaUpload - we have NOT blocked these and are urgently investigating.
    4mins ago
  • Options
    vanzandtfanvanzandtfan Posts: 8,897
    Forum Member
    you'd think that blocking torrents, and their peak time throttling would be enough.

It doesn't seem fair to me that you agree to certain terms and conditions and they change them.

Seems that if virgin are going to keep offering people faster and faster broad band they need to work on their backhaul too.

VM don't block torrent traffic
  • Options
    Forum Member
    VM don't block torrent traffic

no but they throttle them.

the point i'm making is that 50mbps is only useful for downloading large files in a shorter time. rather than small files in no time.

there is no point having it if they are going to get in the way of anything that involves moving large amounts of data.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the 50mb package wasn't traffic shaped? Wasn't that how they were enticing people over to it?
  • Options
    vanzandtfanvanzandtfan Posts: 8,897
    Forum Member
    no but they throttle them.

No they don't. The only restriction is the STM which is protocol neutral. They don't spefically target torrent traffic
    the point i'm making is that 50mbps is only useful for downloading large files in a shorter time. rather than small files in no time.

there is no point having it if they are going to get in the way of anything that involves moving large amounts of data.

There is no STM on the 50mbps service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    I thought the 50mb package wasn't traffic shaped? Wasn't that how they were enticing people over to it?

i thought they 'shaped' all torrents? no?

oh and fumble... a viola is a large violin :)
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin tweet
    virginmedia UPDATE: we have implemented a workaround so customers can access RapidShare/MegaUpload again. We did NOT block these sites, despite reports.
    16 minutes ago via TweetDeck
  • Options
    BurstfireBurstfire Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no STM on the 50mbps service.

YET

The only reason there's no STM is because there are still very few people on the 50Mbps package. The 50Mpbs modems run on their own little highway, so you can image that highway is pretty empty with barely anyone on it. The second it becomes heavy & congested they will put it on.

Some technical staff at virgin have said the same thing aswel.
  • Options
    BustedCatBustedCat Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin tweet
    virginmedia Folks - we are aware some customers unable to access Rapidshare/MegaUpload - we have NOT blocked these and are urgently investigating.
    4mins ago

I find it very hard to believe that the blocking of Rapidhsare AND Megaupload could be due to a mistake. I think they were treading the water to see what the reaction would be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Virgin Media has not blocked traffic to Rapidshare or Megaupload and have made some changes to routing to get access again, please try as it works here
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    that's extremely short sighted of you. Can you not see a problem with your isp deciding which sites you can view?

How about other high bandwidth sites? What about the iPlayer? Would it be ok if virgin just decide to block access to it to save bandwidth? Who gets to decide what perfectly legal sites it's ok for them to block?

I would appreciate an answer.

Hark the lady doth protest to much - why can't people be honest just for once? This isn't about a point of principle, this is about people throwing their toys out of the pram because they've been stopped doing something they shouldn't be doing in the first place i.e. not paying for intellectual property and they just don't like it.

How refreshing it would be for someone to hold their hand up and just say "fair cop gov".
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Burstfire wrote: »
    Exactly, we are not china, we have a right to choose what sites we view and what we download. If they are going to do this what stops them blocking other sites because they feel like it?

No you do not have an automatic right to simply download and view anything you want. For a society to function there has to be rules and laws without which we would have anarchy and I doubt you would like that very much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    Hark the lady doth protest to much - why can't people be honest just for once? This isn't about a point of principle, this is about people throwing their toys out of the pram because they've been stopped doing something they shouldn't be doing in the first place i.e. not paying for intellectual property and they just don't like it.

How refreshing it would be for someone to hold their hand up and just say "fair cop gov".

i'm not even a virgin media customer.

I just have a sense of right and wrong. And can see that it's wrong for an isp to decide what perfectly legal websites it's contracted customers can access.

I'm not sure exactly what you're accusing me of, or for what i should consider a fair cop. But personally i use rapidshare on my site for the large downloads because their bandwidth is cheaper than my webhost. So my website, which is a source of income to me doesn't work properly for vm customers. I think that is wrong.

I await your apology. And i'm serious.