My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding - new series !

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is back tonight on Channel 4 at 9pm ... will you be watching?

I find it enthralling but i don't know why!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1348164/My-Big-Fat-Gypsy-Wedding-Forget-William-Kate--taffeta-tantrums-traveller-traditions.html

Comments

• LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait!
  • gemmaovwales03gemmaovwales03 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member
    mummymaz wrote: »
    This is back tonight on Channel 4 at 9pm ... will you be watching?

I find it enthralling but i don't know why!

Me too I'm looking forward to this :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know where they get their money? They spend thousands on these dresses/weddings/first communions
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been reading about one of the brides on the show whose dress weighed in at 20 stone!
  • Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am very supprised that the woman who owns the bridal shop has not had a visit from HM revenue and customs or the police, I belive it is an offence not to declare cash transactions over a certain ammount and as stated in the previous show allmost all of the transactions are cash with little or no paper work. this only leaves me to draw the conclusion that the money involved is obtained from unlawfull means.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love to watch it but I'm a bit worried that I might throw something at the telly. One girl said that you were considered past it if you weren't married by 18!
  • Soap DodgerSoap Dodger Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Mummymaz.........don't ask!!!!!:eek:
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know where they get their money? They spend thousands on these dresses/weddings/first communions

Well it's not through a steady 9-5 job that's for sure...;)
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They only deal in cash! You need a forklift to lift their wallets. We have members of a "travelling" community in our village. Their grandparents settled here years ago and bought bits of land and lived in caravans. Then they went on to build bungalows.

I will say they are no trouble but when they have a party/wedding/funeral there is no expense spared. They all own large top of the range 4 x 4s, they have never had proper jobs, just deal in a bit of scrap AFAIK.
    It does beat me though how they never seem to get visits from the tax man. Come to that, or the RSPCA because the way they keep some of their horses, if we did that they'd be here and punishing us.
  • parsleyisfunparsleyisfun Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the programme about gypsy weddings, purely because it makes me feel good about myself :D
  • rosiegirlrosiegirl Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I love the programme about gypsy weddings, purely because it makes me feel good about myself :D

Why would it make you feel good about yourself?
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember feeling really bad for one of the girls last year. I think her name was Nora and she lived in a house with her Mum and Dad, had finished school and had a job. She was only getting married because at 21 she felt like an old bride and it was the right thing to do.

She married a lad from Ireland she had met about twice and kept crying on her wedding day because she thought she'd have to move to Ireland. I hope things worked out well for her. The other brides looked to be having the time of their lives and if it's what they want and are happy with it, then no one gets hurt.
  • kira neryskira nerys Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    They only deal in cash! You need a forklift to lift their wallets. We have members of a "travelling" community in our village. Their grandparents settled here years ago and bought bits of land and lived in caravans. Then they went on to build bungalows.

I will say they are no trouble but when they have a party/wedding/funeral there is no expense spared. They all own large top of the range 4 x 4s, they have never had proper jobs, just deal in a bit of scrap AFAIK.
    It does beat me though how they never seem to get visits from the tax man. Come to that, or the RSPCA because the way they keep some of their horses, if we did that they'd be here and punishing us.

Yes,we have quite a large traveller community here too,and I agree with you,although I did go to a wedding reception once that ended in almost total destruction of the pubs interior,due to a fight between two best friends over the way a security light was positioned:eek:(plus they are all on benefits too)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember feeling really bad for one of the girls last year. I think her name was Nora and she lived in a house with her Mum and Dad, had finished school and had a job. She was only getting married because at 21 she felt like an old bride and it was the right thing to do.

She married a lad from Ireland she had met about twice and kept crying on her wedding day because she thought she'd have to move to Ireland. I hope things worked out well for her. The other brides looked to be having the time of their lives and if it's what they want and are happy with it, then no one gets hurt.

I remember her,I think they split up quite soon after,I really felt for her
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This show's really embarrassing. Half my family are Travellers and they do all this. It's really just a sweet 16 combined with a wedding.

Plus they aren't parasites Snapey999.
  • weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »

There are a lot of "travellers" around my village too, (although they now live on land that they own and have built bungalows that look like mobile homes ;) ) but it is a vast rural and "greenfield" zone.

The "travellers" used to leave their horses - which pull the three wheeled totter carts that the men like to race up and down the main road at peak rush hour! :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: - on the open land and in that really hot summer three years ago, myself and a number of fellow village residents were really concerned about the horses that had been tethered in the middle of the fields without any shade or shelter or a drink of water

I 'phoned the RSPCA about them and got a really snotty woman who told me "that it had already been reported 100 times" but that the RSPCA "could not get involved as they couldn't trace the owners and neither could they remove the horses to a place of safety"!!!!!!! :eek: eh??!! :confused:

we all knew why really ;) :rolleyes:
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the show was aired last year I discussed this with an acquaintance - who's travelling family have settled. he mentioned the prices for the wedding dresses and how much his wifes cost:eek::eek::eek: No wonder the woman who made them wouldn't say. His large family have saved the local pub from going under as they eat and drink there quite a lot.

They are never short of money, large expensive vehicles and around 100 horses which they trade. I have to add that his family are nice, and have married outside the travelling community. He also added that his wedding venue was kept a secret until nearer the day - I did get an invite to the evening do but couldnt go as I was on holiday...I did hear it was a brilliant day.
  • weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    Mummymaz.........don't ask!!!!!:eek:

hmmmm.................... ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are a lot of "travellers" around my village too, (although they now live on land that they own and have built bungalows that look like mobile homes ;) ) but it is a vast rural and "greenfield" zone.

The "travellers" used to leave their horses - which pull the three wheeled totter carts that the men like to race up and down the main road at peak rush hour! :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: - on the open land and in that really hot summer three years ago, myself and a number of fellow village residents were really concerned about the horses that had been tethered in the middle of the fields without any shade or shelter or a drink of water

I 'phoned the RSPCA about them and got a really snotty woman who told me "that it had already been reported 100 times" but that the RSPCA "could not get involved as they couldn't trace the owners and neither could they remove the horses to a place of safety"!!!!!!! :eek: eh??!! :confused:

we all knew why really ;) :rolleyes:

Yep,its dejavu all over again!,and please dont get me started on those bloody carts up and down the main road(yes,peak time always),here they sometimes have a pair of them on the go,or they will have a transit that drives strategically behind them so you cant possibly overtake:mad:
    In all fairness though,this is my only real complaint,they are perfectly friendly and one family are very good friends of mine,but as a general rule,living relatively close as we do,I dont leave anything in the garden unattended:)
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They can afford it because even if they don't earn much they have minimal outgoings - they don't pay rent or have mortgages, they very unlikely pay income tax or national insurance or council tax, they only pay in gas and electricity whatever it takes to heat and light a caravan and I wouldn't mind betting that their cars aren't properly taxed or insured, they don't pay into pension schemes etc. etc.

So if they scrape together £1000 a month then the entirety of it is theirs to spend (or save.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another thread descends into racist slander of 'gypsies', "they" do this and "they" do that. Somehow it's still acceptable to count an entire group as criminals, as long as they aren't black or jews.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got deleted. Say no more.......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snapey999 wrote: »
    I got deleted. Say no more.......

I'll take that as an apology then.
  • lozzerbozzerlozzerbozzer Posts: 5,026
    Forum Member
    i've been so looking forward to this, i can tell ya!!!
    loved the one off last year and can't wait to see more dresses, will be interesting to see the communions, christenings and funerals aswell as more weddings.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    One of these weddings was filmed in our town, so embarrassing.

What a mess the girls all look, why do they want to look so awful on such a special day?thise poor youngsters too, done up like JonBenét Ramsey.

I will be watching though, just to have a gawk.
This discussion has been closed.