Options

International Cricket - 2011-2012 Thread (Part 3)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,800
Administrator
ACU wrote: »
Modi is a despicable cretin. He should have been locked up years ago. However in India, since he has connections in high places its never going to happen. Having dirt on top BCCI officials also helps in keeping him out of jail.

This thread is a continuation of: International Cricket - 2011-2012 Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re Chris Cairns court case,Nick Hoult is tweeting live updates from court

They've been talking about Rod Marsh refusing to sign a cricket bat because Chris Cairns' signature was on it.
    Cairns trying to show how disparaging the rumours were

@NHoultCricket
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some strong stuff in the trial

Howard Beer the icl anti corruption officer confirmed that he knew the Mumbai v Chandighar match in October 2008 was fixed. Beer spoke with Sandeep Patil, coach of Mumbai who had appoached him with concerns
    Sortly after, Patil mysteriously left the tournament
    Beer denied that Cairns was involved
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    Greg chappell looks like he will be hated even further By Ganguly and indian, with some people implying he was Rascist,
    "Test cricket for a lot of, not only India, a lot of subcontinent teams, I think it's pretty tough. And the challenge for Test cricket is, without the sort of grounding that we [Australians] had as kids, Test cricket is too hard. It's very demanding mentally, physically and emotionally."
    Chappell then spoke about what was wrong with the Indian culture. "The culture is very different, it's not a team culture," Chappell said. "They lack leaders in the team because they are not trained to be leaders. From an early age, their parents make all the decisions, their schoolteachers make their decisions, their cricket coaches make the decisions.

"The culture of India is such that, if you put your head above the parapet someone will shoot it. Knock your head off. So they learn to keep their head down and not take responsibility. The Poms (British) taught them really well to keep their head down. For if someone was deemed to be responsible, they'd get punished. So the Indians have learned to avoid responsibility. So before taking responsibility for any decisions, they prefer not to."
    but i only agree with him on Dhoni,
    Chappell said MS Dhoni the Indian captain, was one exception to that rule, but even he seems to have lost to the system. When asked if any Indian captain, when on 329 not out himself, would have declared the innings, Chappell said: "If MS Dhoni would have ever got to 329 in a Test match, he probably would. Look, Dhoni is one of the most impressive young men that I have ever worked with. When he came into that Indian team, you just knew that he was a leader in the making. He was definitely someone who could make decisions, and he didn't mind putting his head above the parapet, and didn't mind putting the bigger players in their place. I think he is the best thing to have happened to Indian cricket in recent times.

"But looking at him on this tour - I didn't meet or speak to him at all - but just watching the body language and just watching him on the field, it wasn't the MS Dhoni that I knew. I think Indian cricket has worn him down as well. Especially captaining all three formats, and India plays about 50% more cricket than Australia does. And Dhoni played four years, captaining three years while being wicketkeeper and their key batman - one of the best chasers of a target that I've ever seen. Very confident, very un-Indian in that regard. There was no false modesty about him. If he thought he could do something, he would take responsibility and say 'I can do that.'"

it will be Interesting to see Ganguly response to this. I can clearly tell why we didn't like this Coach.
  • Options
    NansbreadNansbread Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joining thread
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prompt start in Dunedin . South Africa 238 all out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speculation on cricinfo that Dravid is about to announce his retirement on Friday

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/556624.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    Prompt start in Dunedin . South Africa 238 all out

New Zealand have a slight first innings lead at the close on 243/9
    Surprised me as I thought they would get turned over cheaply. 4 wickets for Philander
  • Options
    jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,715
    Forum Member
    Watching the final between Aus and Sri Lanka
    These have got to be the most biased commentators around . It's very funny. Even Mark Nicholas is towing the party line
    Good contest a well with SL on 52/3 in the 8th over chasing 231
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Looks like the cricinfo website has been hijacked. I cant get to it. Another site is displayed instead. Anyone else getting the same problem?

Update - now the site is timing out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake1981 wrote: »
    Watching the final between Aus and Sri Lanka
    These have got to be the most biased commentators around . It's very funny. Even Mark Nicholas is towing the party line
    Good contest a well with SL on 52/3 in the 8th over chasing 231

Aussie commentators? Yeah, the Ashes highlights DVD were done with the aussie commentators, brilliant listening to them after the 3rd day of the 1st test! They really brought home just how much it was hurting the aussies watching Cook & Trott bat session after session after.....

They described Hughes "catch" off Cook as one of those things and hastily changed subject, but then spent the rest of the day calling Ian Bell for not being given out by the umpires!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    New Zealand have a slight first innings lead at the close on 243/9
    Surprised me as I thought they would get turned over cheaply. 4 wickets for Philander

Decent score by NZ , but not enough I reckon. I see they have also gone down the South Africa road with that wicketkeeper, but he looks about 60!
  • Options
    Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think New Zealand will add many to their overnight score especially with Chris Martin out there!

If South Africa score 250 + in the second innings I think that will be enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like China have a little way to go before becoming a power in the game...

http://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/features/item/186546-china-9-all-out-against-afghanistan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tons for Smith and Jallis as South Africa take control closing on 268/3 a lead of 233
    Still 2 days to go
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like victory for South Africa. I cannot see the Kiwis batting over four sessions to save the game. Once Smith gets a lead of 400 that's when he will declare.
  • Options
    NansbreadNansbread Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ganguly, VVS and Dravid gone. Leaves only Tendulkar from that batting era.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Tons for Smith and Jallis as South Africa take control closing on 268/3 a lead of 233
    Still 2 days to go

Looking good for SA. Hopefully they will win all their test matches against NZ and become the world number 1 test team.
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cracking last day set up in the NZ/ SA test
    NZ need another 264 with 8 wickets left. 137/2 at the close with Ross Taylor and Brendan McCullum adding 82 sf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think SA will win. After Taylor and McCullum NZ haven't got a great batting to come. If SA get these two out early then I think it will be over before tea.
  • Options
    jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,715
    Forum Member
    Heavy rain in Dunedin making a positive result unlikely.
    Guess that means England will keep the number one spot going into the summer
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake1981 wrote: »
    Heavy rain in Dunedin making a positive result unlikely.
    Guess that means England will keep the number one spot going into the summer

It's only Day 4 - plenty of time left.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    It's only Day 4 - plenty of time left.

Day 5, I'm afraid.:D
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o Says Day 4 on SS3 programme guide.

Been away all week so haven't been following it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Complete washout on the final day. 2nd Test starts on Thursday
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First match of the Asia Cup today live on Zee Cafe ch 846 on Sky
    Bangla have won the toss and put Pakistan in. Spreads are predicting 265-275 with Pakistan to win by 35 runs
    Another expose in the Sunday Times today by the ex NOTW Fake Sheihk .
    Claims that a Bollywood actress was used in a honeytrap to target players who would then score slowly or bowl badly. Affects live games from our domestic cricket
    Huge payments were also made to selected players for their co-operation as well
This discussion has been closed.