Have you ever done a random act of kindness?

Comments

• JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    My act of kindness was to take an old lady across the road.

regardless of where she wanted to go.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on a Greyhound bus which stopped frequently at 'rest stops' usually fast food outlets. I noticed one black serviceman who looked but never bought anything. At the next rest stop I quietly got his attention and said that I thought he had dropped $10 on his seat.

He grabbed it, mumbled a thank you and bought himself a meal.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I would have done that too, but I only had pounds sterling...
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads honestly, every day even.

An act of kindness is sometimes just a kind word, a bit of banter, helping someone in the supermarket queue - go in front of me, you've only got a couple of things.

Or just doing something at work to help, make a cup of tea, offer a bit of support, whatever.

Random it all is, because it's not 'expected'. You just do it.

My last specifically 'random' act of kindness was yesterday. I was at a local shop (rough area), an old man was leaning on my car as I got out of the shop. He was rambly, his stick was all over my car, but hell, it isn't anything I worry about.

He wanted help basically, he was very pissed, and rather old, I jollied him along, took him over to the pavement, set him up so he could get up the road, chatted to him, and he was painfully sweet really.

I put him on the proper path, and then a woman came up and started talking in a friendly way to him and took him up the path.

There's loads of kindness about, truly, everywhere.
  • RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loads honestly, every day even.

An act of kindness is sometimes just a kind word, a bit of banter, helping someone in the supermarket queue - go in front of me, you've only got a couple of things.

Or just doing something at work to help, make a cup of tea, offer a bit of support, whatever.

Random it all is, because it's not 'expected'. You just do it.

My last specifically 'random' act of kindness was yesterday. I was at a local shop (rough area), an old man was leaning on my car as I got out of the shop. He was rambly, his stick was all over my car, but hell, it isn't anything I worry about.

He wanted help basically, he was very pissed, and rather old, I jollied him along, took him over to the pavement, set him up so he could get up the road, chatted to him, and he was painfully sweet really.

I put him on the proper path, and then a woman came up and started talking in a friendly way to him and took him up the path.

There's loads of kindness about, truly, everywhere.

We need more people like you around :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once bought a homeless guy a packet of **** and also gave him a fiver. Don't know if that counts.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »
    I once bought a homeless guy a packet of **** and also gave him a fiver. Don't know if that counts.

I'd say it does. :cool:
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I once pissed in a tramps face when he set his own beard alight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I once pissed in a tramps face when he set his own beard alight.

Unfortunately, I don't think being sarcastic and pretentious on an anonymous forum counts as a random act of kindness.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    I've done loads of stuff for disabled people.

Happy to do it.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll help anyone who needs it, if I spot that they need help.

I recently did a special internet grocery order, along with mine, for my elderly next door neighbour when it snowed, so she didn't have to go out.
  • Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave some woman my day rider ticket when I got off the bus yesterday, she was made up but the bus driver wasn't! Its not much but I felt a bit better after it
  • VisitingVisiting Posts: 40,112
    Forum Member
    Yes, I have and yes, I would. Regularly, without thinking about it.
    The world isn't always only a bad place. I myself have experienced the kindness of total strangers too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    I often given parking tickets if there's still time left on them when people are coming into the car park, and last time I wa in London we give our day transport tickets to a couple sincewe didn't need them anymore :)
  • juspenjuspen Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I gave a picnic bar to a girl who pointed me to the figs in tesco once
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Yes, many. Although writing about them in order to gain ego points on the internet would detract from the altruism of said acts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    Yes, many. Although writing about them in order to gain ego points on the internet would detract from the altruism of said acts.

It doesn't matter, it's the acts that do.

It's not whether it's even altruistic, or to make people feel good.

If it does help, it is good, and that's what matters.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    juspen wrote: »
    I gave a picnic bar to a girl who pointed me to the figs in tesco once

Great first post! :D
  • juspenjuspen Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »
    Great first post! :D

thanks. I,m new and nervous and was just waiting for something to trigger my memory
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »

Perhaps people who post about said acts are assuming it would inspire anyone who reads about them to carry out selfless acts themselves? I know I've frequently been inspired by watching ''random acts of kindness'' videos on Youtube, or hearing about acts of kindness in the news.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RuinedGirl wrote: »
    Perhaps people who post about said acts are assuming it would inspire anyone who reads about them to carry out selfless acts themselves? I know I've frequently been inspired by watching ''random acts of kindness'' videos on Youtube, or hearing about acts of kindness in the news.

It doesn't ultimately matter what inspires you either.

Good actions are good actions.

Often done with a bit of trepidation, sometimes refused, sometimes done with mixed motives.

None of it matters if it does some good.

The gifts of the spirit are in it's fruit, is the biblical thing.

Secularly, do what you can, and if it helps, good.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A homeless guy asked me if I was lost so I asked him directions. He gave me them, so I bought him sandwiches and a coffee to say thank you. He wasn't expecting that, and was a bit taken aback. To be honest I think he was so used to everyone ignoring him it was a surprise that he was getting any attention at all.

And the directions were correct too :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    I was on a Greyhound bus which stopped frequently at 'rest stops' usually fast food outlets. I noticed one black serviceman who looked but never bought anything. At the next rest stop I quietly got his attention and said that I thought he had dropped $10 on his seat.

He grabbed it, mumbled a thank you and bought himself a meal.

Kindness is its' own reward! but well done!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't ultimately matter what inspires you either.

Good actions are good actions.

Often done with a bit of trepidation, sometimes refused, sometimes done with mixed motives.

None of it matters if it does some good.

The gifts of the spirit are in it's fruit, is the biblical thing.

Secularly, do what you can, and if it helps, good.

Shouldn't people strive to be inspirational? Didn't Jesus inspire people? I'm not religious, but I'm assuming he wanted to inspire goodness in all of humanity. So surely it matters when people are inspired?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Brought a homeless person tea and food, sat and had a drink and chat. I remember his name was Ken. I do wonder ever now and then if he's ok