Options

Early days of Satellite tv.

wur86wur86 Posts: 10,494
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone remember a programme shown every Sunday around 4pm called GLOW?
(The Glamorous Ladies Of Wrestling)?

Comments

• Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    wur86 wrote: »
    Anyone remember a programme shown every Sunday around 4pm called GLOW?
    (The Glamorous Ladies Of Wrestling)?
    I remember it well, it was on either Lifestyle or Screensport, which were channels owned by W H Smith.
    Terrible sexist rubbish, nothing like WWE or TNA nowadays *cough cough*
    :D
  • Options
    KodiakKodiak Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    I remember when I had my very first Dish fitted. It was an ITT Nokia, it cost me just over £500, (no free boxes then). I had it fitted in April 1991 and I have been with SKY ever since.

I shudder to think how much money I have paid over the years, but in reality I think it has been money well spent for all the entertainment I have received in return.

Now, here and now in 2013, I am Old, Decrepit, Disabled and I don't get out much at all. So my TV is even more important to me as it is my window to the outside world, that is besides the internet.

So in my little opinion SKY is good value for money as I can watch it in my living room or my bedroom anytime I like and all in HD. To me it would be terrible if the day ever came that I could not afford SKY.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    I remember it well, it was on either Lifestyle or Screensport, which were channels owned by W H Smith.
    Terrible sexist rubbish, nothing like WWE or TNA nowadays *cough cough*
    :D

I bet you remember Tutti fruiti as well:D:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kodiak wrote: »
    I remember when I had my very first Dish fitted. It was an ITT Nokia, it cost me just over £500, (no free boxes then). I had it fitted in April 1991 and I have been with SKY ever since.

I shudder to think how much money I have paid over the years, but in reality I think it has been money well spent for all the entertainment I have received in return.

Now, here and now in 2013, I am Old, Decrepit, Disabled and I don't get out much at all. So my TV is even more important to me as it is my window to the outside world, that is besides the internet.

So in my little opinion SKY is good value for money as I can watch it in my living room or my bedroom anytime I like and all in HD. To me it would be terrible if the day ever came that I could not afford SKY.

I hope that day never comes.
  • Options
    jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My father first got Sky TV, a year after launch, They had a offer for a free month so he took it up. I remember us getting 7 Channels in English, 6 in German and 1 Dutch, 2 channels were encrypted using the D2-MAC system and were not available. (making up the 16 that Astra 1A broacasted,) We had it for about 6 weeks before he had the dish and receiver taken out because he was not happy with it with the amount of money it was costing him (only £20 a month in 1990). I was still in school so me taking over the payments were impossible. Yet 6 months later he had cable fitted which gave us less channels (only 4) and a poor picture quality caused by RF interference, he was paying more than £20 a month for it and was happy with that, He got satellite TV back in 1993 as he found more English channels were available. We had a Nokia Sat 1500, and that lasted 2 years before it broke down, he sent the Nokia away for repairs and suffered poor picture quality on Videocrypt channels for years until it gave up the ghost completly
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wur86 wrote: »
    I bet you remember Tutti fruiti as well:D:o

Oh! yes!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZeQ-b1z_6c

Also the Dutch channel Veronica used to show Veronique Erotique after 11pm (UK time) but soon scrambled it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My father first got Sky TV, a year after launch, They had a offer for a free month so he took it up. I remember us getting 7 Channels in English, 6 in German and 1 Dutch, 2 channels were encrypted using the D2-MAC system and were not available. (making up the 16 that Astra 1A broacasted,) We had it for about 6 weeks before he had the dish and receiver taken out because he was not happy with it with the amount of money it was costing him (only £20 a month in 1990). I was still in school so me taking over the payments were impossible. Yet 6 months later he had cable fitted which gave us less channels (only 4) and a poor picture quality caused by RF interference, he was paying more than £20 a month for it and was happy with that, He got satellite TV back in 1993 as he found more English channels were available. We had a Nokia Sat 1500, and that lasted 2 years before it broke down, he sent the Nokia away for repairs and suffered poor picture quality on Videocrypt channels for years until it gave up the ghost completly
    I thought the Sky channels were all free for quite a while after it launched?
    The first one they scrambled and started charging for was Sky Movies and they issued separate decoders for it to go with the original FTA receivers.
    The sports channel was the original Eurosport which was FTA and all the entertainment channels were free as well.
    Also, why have the system taken out? Surely it was yours anyway unless the system was different then and Sky rented out the equipment or something. I don't remember that being the case. In fact you could buy the receivers in the High Street as you can now for Freesat. As is still the case, the system would have carried on working on all the FTA channels.
    :confused:
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    I remember cable it was £12pm for 4 channels. Sky One, Movies, Sports and TCC I think.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    The first one they scrambled and started charging for was Sky Movies and they issued separate decoders for it to go with the original FTA receivers.
    The sports channel was the original Eurosport which was FTA and all the entertainment channels were free as well.
    Also, why have the system taken out? Surely it was yours anyway unless the system was different then and Sky rented out the equipment or something. I don't remember that being the case. In fact you could buy the receivers in the High Street as you can now for Freesat. As is still the case, the system would have carried on working on all the FTA channels.

We went to currys and brought a pace Satellite box and dish for £220 in 1995, loved watching sunday late night german channels :)
  • Options
    teletvteletv Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents didn't go down the sky route at first as my Dad didn't want a ''dustbin lid'' bolted to the side of the house, Instead we had a BSB system and the squarial was bolted to a fence in the back garden, and everybody knows what happened then, but once bsb went off the air from marco polo we had the astra system for free... i still sometimes wonder what would have happened if sky lost out to bsb and bsb prospered instead. But i used to love the old ''Sky One'' days
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    teletv wrote: »
    i still sometimes wonder what would have happened if sky lost out to bsb and bsb prospered instead. But i used to love the old ''Sky One'' days
    The BSB system was too restrictive really and the considering the receivers were almost twice the price of a Sky receiver. On top of that BSB was losing considerably more money than Sky was as time so the conclusion was inevitable.

It always seems to be the way, the superior system loses out to an inferior one just like Betamax lost out to VHS.
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BSB was going bust and Sky helped them by merging the two companies together forming British Sky Broadcasting
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,528
    Forum Member
    daniel99 wrote: »
    BSB was going bust and Sky helped them by merging the two companies together forming British Sky Broadcasting

Except it was only a 'merger' in name, in reality Sky just took them over - and at the 'request' of the UK government.

BSB was completely mismanaged, they wasted their money on expensive premises, and never had a prayer of surviving.
  • Options
    poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a Maspro receiver and dish fitted in Jan 1991. It had more capacity than the standard Sky dish of the time.

Sky did four channels, plus there was Supersport? and a WHSmith channel which featured episodes of The Cisco Kid from the 50's.

And there was Tutti Frutti on RTL?
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    poppasmurf wrote: »
    I had a Maspro receiver and dish fitted in Jan 1991. It had more capacity than the standard Sky dish of the time.

Sky did four channels, plus there was Supersport? and a WHSmith channel which featured episodes of The Cisco Kid from the 50's.

And there was Tutti Frutti on RTL?

The WHSmith Channel was Lifestyle
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member

They were free. When they started encryption you got a dreadful standalone decoder which my engineer wired up wrong! Still they were interesting days!
  • Options
    Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Except it was only a 'merger' in name, in reality Sky just took them over - and at the 'request' of the UK government.

BSB was completely mismanaged, they wasted their money on expensive premises, and never had a prayer of surviving.

Correct!
    The British Television establishment(and we know who they were) making a howling arse of the whole thing in a spectacular way and very public.
    D-MAC was only ever going to be a stop gap any way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They were free. When they started encryption you got a dreadful standalone decoder which my engineer wired up wrong! Still they were interesting days!
    Yes, the separate Videocrypt decoders were as big as the receivers and spectacularly ugly!
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Back in 1990 you could 'rent the systems' with the option to buy after a month or 2, we had a Videocrypt decoder for Sky Movies, the receiver was a Amstrad SRX 200, We had a problem with the LNB (horizontal white lines on the screen over the picture with a high pitched screaming sound), which was replaced for free, when my father had the system removed, the rental company took the dish, receiver and decoder, but left us the cable. I think the price for Sky Movies was £9.99 a month and the rental of the equipment was around £10 a month, I think Sky Movies started at about 2:00 in the afternoon and a shopping channel was shown in the downtime back then,.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the separate Videocrypt decoders were as big as the receivers and spectacularly ugly!

and the decoders used to get quite hot as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    I remember cable it was £12pm for 4 channels. Sky One, Movies, Sports and TCC I think.

I think we paid more than £12 a month, we had a channel changer dial fitted on the window sill which had 12 channels on it but only 4 were used, a small white 'receiver ' was hooked up to the VCR via a Y shape splitter so we could record off it if we wanted to along with the terrestrial channels, If we had bad weather we would get nothing because the Cable TV wire was above ground normally running along the facia boards of people's homes, the cable was not maintained properly, so the engineers had to go out and do repairs. We had Sky News from 2:00 am to 9:00 am and Eurosport from 9:00 am to 2:00 am on channel A, Eurosport did close down and the cable company retuned their receiver to get Sky Sports., Sky Movies was 24 hours on Channel B. TCC was available via from 6:00 am to 12:00 pm and MTV was on from 12:00 pm to 6:00 am, TCC was broadcasting from Intelsat 27.5 west then as well as Astra so we had the Intelsat feed, the cable company replaced those with The Movie Channel for 24 hours on channel C, Sky One took channel D for 24 hours. When the Movie Channel started the price for the cable went up (a special filter was fitted in the channel changer for it). The cable company had 2 very large dishes for the weaker satellites along with the 2 Astra dishes, the larger dishes were removed sometime after TCC was taken from us. The cable company ceased trading in 2001 after Sky Analogue finished and all the cables for the service were removed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member

Actually they were taller and very slightly wider. I just had to go rooting around at the back of the shed and there it was, sitting atop an Amstrad Fidelity SRX200.
    And spectacularly ugly is an understatement!
    The Nokia that replaced it (on top of the Videocrypt) could grace any room even today -Scandinavian style.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its amazing really that the sky analogue days were only available for a max of about 11-12 years (1989-2001), yet we all remember them due to the limited channels & foreign broadcasts that were available.

I only got Sky when I was 18 in 1995, then we went digital as soon as it came out in 1998 & HD in 2006.
  • Options
    TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had satellite tv installed in November 1989, it was a 90cm dish fitted on the rooftop. It was rented along with a Salora analogue box for £12 a month. I remember fuming when it went up to £15:D Sky was free back then with movies such as Predator and A Nightmare On Elm Street 3. Daytime tv was mostly 70's/80's american game shows. Who remembers Friday Fright Night on Sky1:D
  • Options
    LankyLanky Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    When I saw the title of this thread I hoped that I'd find talk about the pre Sky days of the eighties. I have very little recollection of the channels on satellite at this time as I only ever saw satellite tv in hotels and a very few pubs.
    The only channel that I remember was called Premiere. Can anyone enlighten me on any others and what their content was? Was satellite tv something that was just for commercial premises or was there also a domestic market? How much did a system cost? How were the channels financed?
    Sorry about all the questions but my curiosity has been sparked?