Options

Actors/Actresses who seem to crop up in everything!

woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
Forum Member
✭✭
I was channel hopping earlier and 'Waterloo Road', a programme I don't watch, was on BBC One. I immediately noticed a lady that I've seen in scores of things for years, but whose name I didn't know. I just looked it up and she's Georgie Glen, an actress who has appeared in everything from Little Britain to Harry Enfield and Chums, Heartbeat, Doctors and The Bill.

There are quite a few British character actors and actresses who seem ubiquitous; sometimes I know their names, sometimes only their faces (which can be annoying). Those I've noticed who do appear to be 'everywhere' (and whose names I know) include:

Celia Imrie
Charles Dance
Kevin Allen
Stephen Moore
Freda Dowie (who seemed to appear in every old 70s classic series)

These are all, of course, more well-known actors, but there are many more who will immediately make me think 'Oh, it's her/him again. S/he's in everything!' without knowing a name to put to the face :D

Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed.

See the "Magic (cast) Roundabout" I posted on Urban Dictionary, six years ago.
    It's been "turning" a lot longer than that.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The%20Magic%20%22cast%22%20Roundabout.&defid=2610892
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything written by Richard Curtis also involves a lot of nepotism.

Bill Nighy comes to mind straight away.
  • Options
    IamnotananorakIamnotananorak Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Someone, now retired who used to appear in almost every sit com and sit com spin off film in the 70's and 80's. George A Cooper.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel Martin
    Cheryl Campbell
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything written by Richard Curtis also involves a lot of nepotism.

Bill Nighy comes to mind straight away.

Similarly anything written by Kay Mellor, if members of her family don't appear they have some sort of behind the scenes role.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    Is Bill Nighy related to Richard Curtis then?
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surrane Jones, she's in everything and not just limited to ITV she works for the BBC too, I mean give it a rest has she not heard of over exposure. I think Olivia Coleman will be heading the same way too.
  • Options
    Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fair haired one who was in New Tricks the other night, was in a cop thing recently..so frequent I can't recall her name!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..........and was in Great Night Out with the tall one!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..........and was in Great Night Out with the tall one! http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1180835/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    Surrane Jones, she's in everything and not just limited to ITV she works for the BBC too, I mean give it a rest has she not heard of over exposure. I think Olivia Coleman will be heading the same way too.

Oh, a similar thing happened with Sarah Lancashire a few years ago. She cropped up in every other ITV drama after leaving Coronation Street, and seems now to be a BBC favourite (Upstairs Downstairs, The Paradise).
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katherine Kelly is another one.
    Don't get me wrong, I think she's a bloody good actress, but in the last year, we've had:-

Corrie
    Mr Selfridge
    The Field of Blood
    The Guilty
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Olivia Coleman (inc. every other advert)
    Mark Benton (and now he's infiltrated SCD ! :D)
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »

Isn't miss Jones the one also in a Touch of Cloth on Sky One?
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was a kid my brother and I used to call John Le Mesurier "the man who's in everything"* because whenever there was an old British film on TV, he was nearly always in it.

*And also because we couldn't pronounce his name
  • Options
    PetitshooPetitshoo Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Sheridan Smith
  • Options
    BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was a kid my brother and I used to call John Le Mesurier "the man who's in everything"* because whenever there was an old British film on TV, he was nearly always in it.

*And also because we couldn't pronounce his name

We used to have a laugh watching 1950s+ British films when Sam Kydd popped up in some shape or form on the credits. It was probably equalled by all his tv appearances as well...must run into hundreds !
  • Options
    molyeshamolyesha Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Blueju wrote: »
    We used to have a laugh watching 1950s+ British films when Sam Kydd popped up in some shape or form on the credits. It was probably equalled by all his tv appearances as well...must run into hundreds !

Someone else noticed Sam Kydd as well! Sam Kydd-spotting was a regular thing in our house. We ever called our puppy Sam 'because he got into everything'!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digressing a bit, but as a "film noir" aficionado, I'd suggest Elisha Cook Jr., who made a career out of playing "the weedy crook" in films for over sixty years, is worth a mention.
    He appeared in a supporting role in about sixty films, playing similar parts, many of them classics and thirteen TV dramas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elisha_Cook_Jr

Someone made this montage of some of his performances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l85PDOFhNuk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digressing a bit, but as a "film noir" aficionado, I'd suggest Elisha Cook Jr., who made a career out of playing "the weedy crook" in films for over sixty years, is worth a mention.
    He appeared in a supporting role in about sixty films, playing similar parts, many of them classics and thirteen TV dramas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elisha_Cook_Jr

Someone made this montage of some of his performances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l85PDOFhNuk

Oh, good call! An instantly recognisable face - even without looking him up, I can see him in 'The House on Haunted Hill' and 'Salem's Lot'.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I think she's a bloody good actress, but in the last year, we've had:-

Corrie
    Mr Selfridge
    The Field of Blood
    The Guilty

I don't see how this is overexposure.

She finished Corrie Jan 2012, Selfridge was 10 episodes last year, The Guilty is 3 episodes currently showing and the Field of Blood is only 2 episodes.

Took a bit of imdb research, but that's not much at all really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Juliet Cowan. Seriously, look her up. She keeps popping up in everything! She's probably appeared at some point in about 99% of the T.V shows I watch.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    I don't see how this is overexposure.

She finished Corrie Jan 2012, Selfridge was 10 episodes last year, The Guilty is 3 episodes currently showing and the Field of Blood is only 2 episodes.

Took a bit of imdb research, but that's not much at all really.

i was going to suggest KK too. It struck me last week when I was reading the preview of The Guilty that she's on a lot, before this thread was started. I think it's because they're all pretty high profile and the last two so close together
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »

Corrie
    Mr Selfridge
    The Field of Blood
    The Guilty

You beat me to it, she seems to have taken over from that other Corrie girl, I forget her name, the blonde one married to Curly Watts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    You beat me to it, she seems to have taken over from that other Corrie girl, I forget her name, the blonde one married to Curly Watts.

"Raquel."