Best and worst US shows of all time

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My favourites:
The West Wing, gripping political drama starring Martin Sheen as the President and as good as House of Cards, has never been bettered.
New Adventures of Superman, nineties update which was as good as the films and carried on the
Lois and Superman love story, LL reinvented as some martial arts whizz which worked.
The A Team, you had to be a teenage boy in the eighties to get this, weekly mayhem and action fix for me.
Roots, classic story about slavery in America and its aftermath in the Deep South, one of the finest dramas to come out of America.
Starsky and Hutch, excellent buddy police show that made a singing star out of David Soul and its mixture of humour, car chases and crime fighting was great for the times.
The worst:
Harry and the Hendersons, probably would rate as the worst sitcom ever, annoying suburban family adopt a yeti, about as funny as flu.
Murder She Wrote, gentle crime drama aimed at old ladies, about as exciting as watching a whist drive.
Paris Hilton's Best Friend Forever, rubbish reality show where 12 deluded people think a z list celebrity will be their best friend( as if).
Diagnosis Murder, male version of Murder She Wrote starring an elderly Dick Van Dyke.
Dr Quinn Medicine Woman, Jane Seymour puts on a terrible American accent to play some 19th century doctor, cloying rubbish popular with ITV regions in daytime.

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    My favourites:
    The West Wing, gripping political drama starring Martin Sheen as the President and as good as House of Cards, has never been bettered.
    New Adventures of Superman, nineties update which was as good as the films and carried on the
    Lois and Superman love story, LL reinvented as some martial arts whizz which worked.
    The A Team, you had to be a teenage boy in the eighties to get this, weekly mayhem and action fix for me.
    Roots, classic story about slavery in America and its aftermath in the Deep South, one of the finest dramas to come out of America.
    Starsky and Hutch, excellent buddy police show that made a singing star out of David Soul and its mixture of humour, car chases and crime fighting was great for the times.
    The worst:
    Harry and the Hendersons, probably would rate as the worst sitcom ever, annoying suburban family adopt a yeti, about as funny as flu.
    Murder She Wrote, gentle crime drama aimed at old ladies, about as exciting as watching a whist drive.
    Paris Hilton's Best Friend Forever, rubbish reality show where 12 deluded people think a z list celebrity will be their best friend( as if).
    Diagnosis Murder, male version of Murder She Wrote starring an elderly Dick Van Dyke.
    Dr Quinn Medicine Woman, Jane Seymour puts on a terrible American accent to play some 19th century doctor, cloying rubbish popular with ITV regions in daytime.

What was the need to point that out? He wasn't actually that old when he did that show. He was in his late 60's. Whether he was 90 or 100, his age should not needed to come in to it.

I respect you don't like the shows but can't help but feel there is snobbery with your views on Diagnosis Murder and Murder she wrote. The characters were of an older age but they were not aimed at old ladies. You could easily say the same with The Golden girls but that proved to be entirely false as people of all ages enjoyed it. I respect you do not like the shows. But to use age as an excuse for why, is a little offensive.

Dr Quinn wasn't just some rubbish to cloy up with ITV regions in daytime. It was popular and successful because a 19th century female doctor was considered a wrong occupation for a woman to do in that time. Jane seymour's accent was fine in the early seasons but i agree, her accent got worse as the show continued. Again, i respect your opinion, but even for something you dislike, you need an open mind to see why the show did well.

I personally didn't like House of cards, but i wouldn't label as one of the worst US shows because it isn't. It's well acted. It's fantastically written. But it just wasn't for me.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was the need to point that out? He wasn't actually that old when he did that show. He was in his late 60's. Whether he was 90 or 100, his age should not needed to come in to it.

I respect you don't like the shows but can't help but feel there is snobbery with your views on Diagnosis Murder and Murder she wrote. The characters were of an older age but they were not aimed at old ladies. You could easily say the same with The Golden girls but that proved to be entirely false as people of all ages enjoyed it. I respect you do not like the shows. But to use age as an excuse for why, is a little offensive.

Dr Quinn wasn't just some rubbish to cloy up with ITV regions in daytime. It was popular and successful because a 19th century female doctor was considered a wrong occupation for a woman to do in that time. Jane seymour's accent was fine in the early seasons but i agree, her accent got worse as the show continued. Again, i respect your opinion, but even for something you dislike, you need an open mind to see why the show did well.

I personally didn't like House of cards, but i wouldn't label as one of the worst US shows because it isn't. It's well acted. It's fantastically written. But it just wasn't for me.
    I was comparing West Wing in its quality to House of Cards. West Wing was probably something Martin Sheen will always be remembered, for don't forget he also played a very convincing JFK in an eighties miniseries, which is on my good list.
    My views on Murder She Wrote and Dr Quinn were formed in my earlier days, they just weren't the shows people under 25 watched back in the day. Also for all Dr Quinn did quite well in America, it was considered schmaltzy and too sweet over here and surely an American could have taken the role. The press massacred it as it was a fairly leaden show and then French and Saunders buried it in a parody.
    Anyway back to my good and bad.
    Good: Star Trek, NCIS, Jericho, JFK, Dallas( first four series).
    Bad: The Colbys, Nash Bridges, Thunder in Paradise, Manimal, American Idol.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Bang Theory has got to be up there with the worst. I can easily sit through an episode without even smiling.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    Big Bang Theory has got to be up there with the worst. I can easily sit through an episode without even smiling.

You obviously haven't endured an episode of Melissa and Joey...absolutely dire. Not one lol moment, nay, not even one moderately humourous moment. It's absolutely Horrendous:(
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By far the best would include.
    comedy
    friends
    The goldbergs
    2 and a half men

Drama/Sci fi

Lost
    Breaking bad
    Twin peaks

Worst
    Joey
    Flash forward
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You obviously haven't endured an episode of Melissa and Joey...absolutely dire. Not one lol moment, nay, not even one moderately humourous moment. It's absolutely Horrendous:(

Harry and the Hendersons never raised one laugh from me in the three times I watched it.
    OTOH the Americans have sent some good comedies across. Taxi, for all it was a bit surreal in places, was good, Happy Days was a well loved sitcom in the seventies that was repeated for years afterwards and The Golden Girls was excellent.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Harry and the Hendersons never raised one laugh from me in the three times I watched it.
    OTOH the Americans have sent some good comedies across. Taxi, for all it was a bit surreal in places, was good, Happy Days was a well loved sitcom in the seventies that was repeated for years afterwards and The Golden Girls was excellent.

Frasier...I could watch it on a loop and still find something funny in each episode.

Apart from a mid season dip, it has remained for me, one of the most sublime shows ever. I never, ever tire of it.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frasier...I could watch it on a loop and still find something funny in each episode.

Apart from a mid season dip, it has remained for me, one of the most sublime shows ever. I never, ever tire of it.:)

Yes, quite good, also I found Sex and the City, very funny and very daring for an American sitcom. Friends I was bit meh about, sometimes it was funny, sometimes not.
    Other US greats:
    Dynasty, could only be made in America in the eighties and unashamedly OTT and not ashamed about glorifying wealth( even if the protaganists came a cropper).
    Kojak, wisecracking New York detective in New York during its most crime ridden and rundown era, Telly Savalas was brilliant.
    The Phil Silvers Show, still hilarious now with Phil Silvers in top form as the slippery and dishonest but likeable Sgt Ernie Bilko.
    Cagney and Lacey, loving the re runs now on BBC Two, clever female buddy cop series again with a dirty and dangerous New York as a backdrop.
    Dukes of Hazzard, yeee haaah cars and country music comedy drama set in Georgia, my favourite show in 1980.
    OTOH a couple of stinkers:
    The Colbys, Dynasty spin off where the cast were abducted by aliens and probably starred Hitler in a cameo( too stupid to watch).
    Lace, TV version of notorious Shirley Conran bonkbuster, there was more sex in Coronation St( big let down when you're 16).
    Hotel, tedious TV version of sixties film, only lasted one series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worst

Beauty and the beast - current remake - Poor acting and zero direction
    Till Death - Poorly written despite two great leads
    Rules of Engagement - Acting is too contrived and the writing is horrendous
    Eastwick - A creative mess
    Charlie's angels - remake - Campy and cringey
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best

Buffy - Teenage and then adult metaphors morphed into supernatural occurences. Snappy writing. A great cast. Brilliant performances. Writing is always to the point. Was more than just a blonde girl staking vampires.

The X files - Creepy, ambigious, mind boggling, smart and one of the best television duo's of all time.

Sex and the city - Very much out there, bold, unapologetic, honest and four fabulous actresses in the roles

The Golden girls - Proved that despite age, your life doesn't slow down. The writing was real, raw, honest and just damn right hilarious. Another four fabulous actresses (three of which are no longer with us) in such great roles.
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Friends spin off 'Joey' has to be down there with the worst. Execrable nonsense.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best:
    Breaking Bad
    True Detective
    Game of Thrones
    The Walking Dead
    Modern Family
    The Middle
    Fargo
    Prison Break Season 1

Worst:
    Hostages
    Any half hour CBS Sitcom
    Prison Break Seasons 2,3,4,Specials
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adventure Time, Game of Thrones, Girls and True Detective are all on course to be my favourite US shows ever, as long as their standards don't slip. Even if they do, their runs so far have been great for me. Other shows like Dawson's Creek were great for it's first two years, then dipped, but those first two years will always be magical tv for me.
    Rubbish like Melissa and Joey and 2 Broke Girls are currently the worst US output I've had the misfortune to see, with Kenan and Kel being a massive culprit from the past.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Best Dramas:
    Queer as Folk USA
    Six Feet Under
    Roswell (High)

Best Comedies:
    Frasier
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Phyllis

There are probably loads more, but those come immediately to mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    Adventure Time, Game of Thrones, Girls and True Detective are all on course to be my favourite US shows ever, as long as their standards don't slip. Even if they do, their runs so far have been great for me. Other shows like Dawson's Creek were great for it's first two years, then dipped, but those first two years will always be magical tv for me.
    Rubbish like Melissa and Joey and 2 Broke Girls are currently the worst US output I've had the misfortune to see, with Kenan and Kel being a massive culprit from the past.

I've seen 2 Broke Girls and the sets are like something from a seventies daytime soap, it's really cheaply made and never goes out of the studio.
    However, for all American humour doesn't always transfer well here, they have produced some excellent comedy like Soap and Sex and the City.
    Also how about some of their kids shows, Scooby Doo, the cartoon version of Superman, Hong Kong Phooey and Batman must be right up there.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Best.

Columbo
    Battlestar Galactica (the reimagined version)
    Cheers
    Mash
    Twin Peaks
    Band of Brothers
    X Files

Worst

Mrs Columbo
    Joey
    Life on Mars
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Godd to see older shows Mentioned. In that spirit..

Best

Zorro - Goes downhill once Monastorio leaves but still great childish fun

MacGyver - Escapist, OTT but damn watchable and sometimes informative

Golden Girls - Production line of one liners but vitally interesting characters to say them

The Pretender - Until it got bogged down with The Island was good mystery and intrigue

Bad

Love Boat - Repeated ad nauseum at one time often paired with Fantasy Island. UGH.

Beverly Hillbillies - Okay for about 5 minutes then dire. The same plots every episode.

Diagnosis Murder - Predictable, sappy, the two Van Dykes couldn't act and nor could their naive young assistant.

NCIS - Ridiculous programme, shouldn't be more succesful than CSI/Law and Order
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    Godd to see older shows Mentioned. In that spirit..

Best

Zorro - Goes downhill once Monastorio leaves but still great childish fun

MacGyver - Escapist, OTT but damn watchable and sometimes informative

Golden Girls - Production line of one liners but vitally interesting characters to say them

The Pretender - Until it got bogged down with The Island was good mystery and intrigue

Bad

Love Boat - Repeated ad nauseum at one time often paired with Fantasy Island. UGH.

Beverly Hillbillies - Okay for about 5 minutes then dire. The same plots every episode.

Diagnosis Murder - Predictable, sappy, the two Van Dykes couldn't act and nor could their naive young assistant.

NCIS - Ridiculous programme, shouldn't be more succesful than CSI/Law and Order
    The Love Boat and Fantasy Island used to be paired up on Border Television, dire, schmaltzy shows. Also I agree with Diagnosis Murder, too soft, a bit like Murder She Wrote, another show that gets repeated to death.
    The Golden Girls was good, particularly the very old actress.
  • Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best sitcoms: Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Frasier.

Best dramas: Breaking Bad, The Wire, Six Feet Under.

Best factual: The Civil War.

Not sure I want to do the worst. I've tried to erase certain things from my memory banks. :D
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best
    Lost, Breaking Bad, Pushing Daisies, The West Wing, The Newsroom, Dexter (early seasons), Prison Break (Seasons 1+2, Final Break), Big Bang Theory (less so now)

Worse
    Friends (I know I am in the minority but the gags are signposted a mile off)

PJ
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knight Rider was a clever series and sad to hear about the death of Glen A Larson.
    Also on my good US list, Planet of the Apes( sadly flopped in America but was big over here, good show), JFK( Sheen played JFK excellently in this), Kung Fu( clever TV cash in on the Bruce Lee boom, David Carradine was excellent as Kwai Chang Caine) and The X Files( brilliant sci fi and crime series and still respected now).
    On the bad list, most miniseries derived from Jackie Collins novels that mercifully don't get made any more. With the sex removed, they seemed pointless.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Includes past and current shows.

Best:

- Friends
    - Buffy
    - Arrow
    - Grimm
    - The Middle
    - Angel
    - Teen Wolf
    - Orange is the New Black
    - Modern Family
    - The Inbetweeners
    - Game Of Thrones

Slowly making their way up to the 'best':

- Dexter (just finished S1 and if it sustains, it will be in the best column)
    - The Goldbergs

Honourable Mention:

- Smallville
    - Baby Daddy

Worst:

- Beauty and The Beast
    - Flashforward (great premise, went nowhere for me)
    - Joey (initially, it was OK, then it got worse and worse)
    - Charlie's Angels (2011 version)
    - The Inbetweeners USA (it was so painful).
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best:

Game of Thrones
    The Newsroom
    Arrow
    Banshee
    Fringe
    Grimm
    Married With Children
    Roseanne
    MASH
    Battlestar Galactica (reboot)
    House

Great for it's a day watching as a kid, but really terrible rewatching as an adult:

A Team
    Knight Rider
    Airwolf
    Automan
    Street Hawk
    CHIPS

Worst:

Marvel Agents of Shield
    Alcatraz
    Dallas
    Knots Landing
    Dynasty
    Glee
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »

I admire how easily people sit through episodes of shows they don't like.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear. On almost everyone's best list is something I don't like and on their worst are things I either like or just disagree with.

For example, it is not really right to choose as bad or worst a show which is deliberately fairly lowbrow and aimed at a daytime audience perhaps with children about.

And Friends as a 'best'? Really? Still, comedies depend upon whether they are funny for a particular viewer. I think that Seinfeld is funny, while my wife just doesn't get it. For example, she just said 'That is daft, how would they possibly know that the book had been read in the toilet?'. (For anyone who didn't see it, George tried to get money back from a shop that had cheated him, by stealing a book and then pretending he wanted his money back, but he had read it while in the loo so they refused. If that wasn't funny you'd better give up watching anything, in my view)

I'd like to see a category called 'Unsung wonders'. That is, things that went unnoticed but were good. Such as WKRP in Cincinnati.