The Two Ronnies Sketchbook

Pea1Pea1 Posts: 383
Forum Member
So I get in from work on a Friday evening after an exhausting week to slump in front of the TV to find The Two Ronnies Sketchbook - really? Is this the best BBC can do at do? Sketches from a comedy show which started in 1971!

Now don't get me wrong I enjoyed the Two Ronnies a few years back but they're humour in relation to women in 2014 is a little uncomfortable and how many times since 1971 have they broadcast these sketches?

Please don't accuse me of being PC because I really am not but I just can't believe that the BBC are still dredging this out from their lockers. It's at least 40 years old for gods sake...

I'll go and hide behind the sofa for the rest of the evening and prepared to be put in my place. :D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pea1 wrote: »
    So I get in from work on a Friday evening after an exhausting week to slump in front of the TV to find The Two Ronnies Sketchbook - really? Is this the best BBC can do at do? Sketches from a comedy show which started in 1971!

Now don't get me wrong I enjoyed the Two Ronnies a few years back but they're humour in relation to women in 2014 is a little uncomfortable and how many times since 1971 have they broadcast these sketches?

Please don't accuse me of being PC because I really am not but I just can't believe that the BBC are still dredging this out from their lockers. It's at least 40 years old for gods sake...

I'll go and hide behind the sofa for the rest of the evening and prepared to be put in my place. :D
    It's cheap filler television that the family can enjoy. This, Morecambe and Wise specials, Carry On movies, On The Buses and Dad's Army will always be programmed when they have a hole to fill in the schedule.
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather watch such 'cheap filler TV' than most of the comedy on now. Yes The Two Ronnies has dated, yes the attitudes to women can be seen as sexist now, but you know what? I really don't care! It doesn't preclude my enjoyment of them at all.
  • Corky DukeCorky Duke Posts: 790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was the time when comedians could write their own stuff, even today nobody could get near the likes of Ronnie Barker and Eric Morecambe who could write comedy sketches that are funny. World famous actors and singers would want to be asked to do Morecambe and Wise shows and would put themselves at the mercy of the duo and do anything because that kind of gig was a big thing, unlike today when stars turn up because they have a book/film/album out.

Barker was a great writer and actor and all of the stuff he wrote you can still watch today and laugh, he even wrote under another name (Gerald Wiley) rather than take the credit
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    I would rather watch such 'cheap filler TV' than most of the comedy on now. Yes The Two Ronnies has dated, yes the attitudes to women can be seen as sexist now, but you know what? I really don't care! It doesn't preclude my enjoyment of them at all.

I feel exactly the same way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »
    I feel exactly the same way.

I am a left wing gay guy, but even I get annoyed at over PC people who scan everything just waiting to get offended over something. The Ronnies did have some crass jokes about gays, BUT it was of a time when that was acceptable. Yes, it doesn't sit well with me now, but it in no way makes me think' Oh I can't watch these two now because they have said something that's un PC' They parodied EVERYONE!! and parody, and stereotyping IS a big part of comedy I'm afraid. They were the greatest on TV at one time, and still are to me, like old friends, who never let me down comedy wise. So to use a phrase often (annoyingly used on these threads) 'If you don't like it, don't watch it':p
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corky Duke wrote: »
    That was the time when comedians could write their own stuff, even today nobody could get near the likes of Ronnie Barker and Eric Morecambe who could write comedy sketches that are funny. World famous actors and singers would want to be asked to do Morecambe and Wise shows and would put themselves at the mercy of the duo and do anything because that kind of gig was a big thing, unlike today when stars turn up because they have a book/film/album out.

Barker was a great writer and actor and all of the stuff he wrote you can still watch today and laugh, he even wrote under another name (Gerald Wiley) rather than take the credit

The late Eddie Braben wrote most of the BBC Morecambe and Wise shows; Sid Green and Dick Hills wrote (and appeared in) the earlier ATV series; different writers were used on the Thames series until Braben eventually joined them.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How annoyed the BBC must be that they have loads of shows from the 70s and 80s they would love to show starring people who were big back then but have no TV cred now or their material is un PC.

Little and Large
    Mike Yarwood
    Paul Daniels
    Dave Allen
    Dick Emery
    Russ Abbott
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And in support of that, it looks like the ratings last night show that many other people share that opinion:

The Two Ronnies Sketchbook: 3.37m (16.9%)

Citizen Khan: 2.48m (11.6%)
  • Pea1Pea1 Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    Ok I stand corrected, is it safe to come out from behind the sofa now? ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok I stand corrected, is it safe to come out from behind the sofa now? ;-)

NO!! how dare you slate one of my favourite comedy shows. You are now positioned at the top of my hitlist :D
  • widgerwidger Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the same until I watched the Rook Restaurant sketch and laughed so much it hurt.

I've seen the sketch before many times but I only noticed how brilliantly timed both Barker and Corbett's delivery is in that sketch. Yes, I agree that some of the double entendre stuff is out-dated, but there are still moments of genius hidden away.
  • Pea1Pea1 Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    Having looked at how many posts each of you have made in comparison to me I realise I am a mere whippersnapper and should know my place, I apologise profusely. :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having looked at how many posts each of you have made in comparison to me I realise I am a mere whippersnapper and should know my place, I apologise profusely. :blush:

You should be tarred and feathered whippersnapper !:D:p