Adult Colouring

CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was just wondering, as it's becoming so popular worldwide, how many of my fellow DS members like to do adult colouring books?

I do and proud of it :) I am also on a fb group that shares all their work and what they've brought etc.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    CrazyLoop wrote: »
    I was just wondering, as it's becoming so popular worldwide, how many of my fellow DS members like to do adult colouring books?

I do and proud of it :) I am also on a fb group that shares all their work and what they've brought etc.

Stop the world, I want to get off.
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum loves adult colouring books. She was an artist and designer when she was young but ended up in an admin job for years, so she lost her confidence with drawing/painting.

She's retired now, so she's using the adult colouring books as a way to get back into art. She started with pens and is using watercolours now. Next she wants to draw her own designs with a pigment pen, and then colour them.

It's like any art or craft activity - really relaxing.
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wetherby wrote: »
    Why? :confused:
    luckylila wrote: »
    My mum loves adult colouring books. She was an artist and designer when she was young but ended up in an admin job for years, so she lost her confidence with drawing/painting.

She's retired now, so she's using the adult colouring books as a way to get back into art. She started with pens and is using watercolours now. Next she wants to draw her own designs with a pigment pen, and then colour them.

It's like any art or craft activity - really relaxing.
    Yay that's awesome and yes I agree it's very relaxing.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I saw a whole table full of "art therapy" books and colouring books for adults in
    Waterstones today. The new big thing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a whole table full of "art therapy" books and colouring books for adults in
    Waterstones today. The new big thing?

Yes it is :)
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been doing this for at least 2 years!. I have to say it's not often I'm ahead of the pack on anything!.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been doing this for at least 2 years!. I have to say it's not often I'm ahead of the pack on anything!.:D
    Awesome :D
  • BeenbagBeenbag Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CrazyLoop wrote: »

Hi, crazyloop,
    Just stumbled across your thread and feel like I am missing out. Is it possible you could post a link to see what it is I am missing out on? Thanks😻
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beenbag wrote: »
    Hi, crazyloop,
    Just stumbled across your thread and feel like I am missing out. Is it possible you could post a link to see what it is I am missing out on? Thanks😻
    Sure :)

Some of the colouring books available

Many of the news articles writing about adult colouring
  • BeenbagBeenbag Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most useful, thanks again, Crazyloop😊
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beenbag wrote: »
    Most useful, thanks again, Crazyloop😊

You're very welcome :)
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I've got a couple - very relaxing but a BIG time waster when you DO have more important things to do! :blush::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    I've got a couple - very relaxing but a BIG time waster when you DO have more important things to do! :blush::D

Yay another fan :D Haha I don't do it when I have stuff to do. I get through them and then do it :p
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't done any for ages, but I find it very mindful sometimes - same type of distraction for me as jigsaws, crosswords, codewords, things like that. I used to do it in hospital sometimes as a distraction and therapeutic technique. It's one of those things you can really focus on, be in the present moment and just go with it.

I don't have any of the adult colouring books yet, but I saw this lovely book on Amazon recently and will definitely be getting it - I love owls. :)
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wetherby wrote: »
    You chose life, I bet.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

I recall "Smash Hits" ridiculing a member of the Fine Young Cannibals (was it Roland Gift ?) for his hobby of filling in colouring books as an adult. Maybe the FYC guy was just ahead of
    the curve? :)
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought one a couple of months ago. I only spent a small amount of time on it. It was mainly for a distraction which I badly needed. When I told my husband that I bought an adult colouring book, he said, so is it like men's willies and stuff? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smithy1204 wrote: »
    I haven't done any for ages, but I find it very mindful sometimes - same type of distraction for me as jigsaws, crosswords, codewords, things like that. I used to do it in hospital sometimes as a distraction and therapeutic technique. It's one of those things you can really focus on, be in the present moment and just go with it.

I don't have any of the adult colouring books yet, but I saw this lovely book on Amazon recently and will definitely be getting it - I love owls. :)
    There's even a mindfulness colouring book out there too. It's A5 so very handy to take places too. I completely agree what you said about how you can just totally focus on it and nothing else.
    I bought one a couple of months ago. I only spent a small amount of time on it. It was mainly for a distraction which I badly needed. When I told my husband that I bought an adult colouring book, he said, so is it like men's willies and stuff? :D
    LOL love it. You should get back into it. Unless you didn't enjoy of course.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I was given one as a Christmas present a couple of years ago (along with felt tip pens:D) it's not a bad thing to do when you are listening to the radio or half watching tv. It stops you aimlessly eating whilst doing so.
  • cathy27cathy27 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I have a few books and also a book of postcards. I find it really relaxing. Also good for when I'm sat with my son while he's doing homework or painting his Warhammer models and we're chatting.

Love the look of the Owl book further up thread....added to my Amazon wish list 😊
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    I was given one as a Christmas present a couple of years ago (along with felt tip pens:D) it's not a bad thing to do when you are listening to the radio or half watching tv. It stops you aimlessly eating whilst doing so.
    Awesome :)
    cathy27 wrote: »
    I have a few books and also a book of postcards. I find it really relaxing. Also good for when I'm sat with my son while he's doing homework or painting his Warhammer models and we're chatting.

Love the look of the Owl book further up thread....added to my Amazon wish list 😊
    That's lovely :D
  • Lovely LauraLovely Laura Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    We had one of those 'book people' companies bring an order to my work a couple of years ago and it featured an adult colouring book.
    I work with children doing support/therapy work and I find colouring is a really good way of getting them to open up because they're doing something quiet and distracting. I absolutely love colouring with them too, so when I saw the adult colouring book, I desperately wanted it.
    So I bought it, filled it in and never found anymore after that. Recently, started to notice a lot more in bookshops etc, so I've got a good stock on lol! I really enjoy it. It's a great way of winding down after a tough day at work, then doing jobs in the house when you get home. I HAVE to have Crayola crayons though - don't know why, just a little quirk of mine.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I looked at the ones on Amazon Some of them have a price for used colouring books. What would be the point?
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    I looked at the ones on Amazon Some of them have a price for used colouring books. What would be the point?

Some people start them and just give up you may find just two or three pages coloured and the rest of the book is empty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had one of those 'book people' companies bring an order to my work a couple of years ago and it featured an adult colouring book.
    I work with children doing support/therapy work and I find colouring is a really good way of getting them to open up because they're doing something quiet and distracting. I absolutely love colouring with them too, so when I saw the adult colouring book, I desperately wanted it.
    So I bought it, filled it in and never found anymore after that. Recently, started to notice a lot more in bookshops etc, so I've got a good stock on lol! I really enjoy it. It's a great way of winding down after a tough day at work, then doing jobs in the house when you get home. I HAVE to have Crayola crayons though - don't know why, just a little quirk of mine.

It is very good in so many ways isn't it? :D It really helps me. I need to make more time to do it.