BBC post 2020?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Given all the cuts to the BBC can anybody predict where the BBC will be come election time in 2020? I'm guessing BBC3 will be long off air online channel too? Which channels will be left?

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given all the cuts to the BBC can anybody predict where the BBC will be come election time in 2020? I'm guessing BBC3 will be long off air online channel too? Which channels will be left?

It would be foolish to try to predict anything at this stage, before the Charter review process has even properly started, never mind completed/agreed.
  • fatboy75fatboy75 Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    I'll have a go bbc3 online talk of BBC4 going online and if that is successful bbc1 & 2 going same way then government selling of airwaves for 5G mobile and all tv come down Internet
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fatboy75 wrote: »
    I'll have a go bbc3 online talk of BBC4 going online and if that is successful bbc1 & 2 going same way then government selling of airwaves for 5G mobile and all tv come down Internet

I think BBC One would always remain on Freeview but I can see many channels going online in the future.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    To be honest terrestrial TV is just dire and dying on its feet. By 2020 streaming services will be more popular, especially as faster internet speeds are rolled out.

4G will be standard for most of us on mobile.

I already find if I look through the TV schedule for the BBC, ITV, C4 etc there is almost nothing that interests me.

Very little decent science stuff, or engineering, very little decent history stuff decent political stuff is totally absent from TV these days.

I find more and more it's online be it radio or documentaries.

I'm seriously looking at junking the TV and the BBC tax at the end of this year. I have a projector for DVD's and I really can't see me continuing to fund the BBC who simply refuse ot spend money on decent TV and leave the reality stuff to ITV.
  • swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC will still be hanging on in there. And hopefully looking forward to a better decade under a Corbyn led Labour government....
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »
    The BBC will still be hanging on in there. And hopefully looking forward to a better decade under a Corbyn led Labour government....
    A bit of an oxymoron there I think? Labour led by Corbyn would assure we don't have a Labour government.
  • swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of an oxymoron there I think? Labour led by Corbyn would assure we don't have a Labour government.

Au contraire, Pierre. Corbyn strikes me as the only man who can deliver a LABOUR government, as opposed to a Blairite red Tory government.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if EE will have found Lucy Beale's killer by 2020, I suspect not.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Au contraire, Pierre. Corbyn strikes me as the only man who can deliver a LABOUR government, as opposed to a Blairite red Tory government.
    How many elections did Blair win?
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And they will have 1000s of viewers as opposed to millions. Not everyone is online, some still are on dial-up speeds, and the cost of upgrading EVERY household to fast broadband is extortionate! Who's going tpo pay to give Hamish in the Scottish Highlands or Blodwyn in the valleys to be connected to the supercharged internet? Why bother when the DTT is already there?
    Broadcasting as we know it will still be around for a long, long time!
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member

I can't see that mate. You need to win over strong Tory seats that will never vote Labour again without a big change.

Corbyn won't last 5 minutes as Labour leader, hardly any of his party at Westminster support him.

Regardless of Corbyn the end of the TV tax is coming, my concern is public money still needs to be available for quality TV, a reduced TV tax say £50 a year that is paid to a central body to allow decent science, political and history series to be made is what we need.

I despair at the cack churned out today, the World at War is still an incredible series as is the original Cosmos with Carl Sagan or The undersea World of Jacques Costeau, no one seems prepared to make these really great series these days all we get is endless cooking shows and sleb cack.
  • markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see that mate. You need to win over strong Tory seats that will never vote Labour again without a big change.

Corbyn could turn Scotland red again. Many people who voted SNP last time did so because they were tired of Tory-lite Labour. That combined with the Tories losing Cameron and gaining of the three muppets (Boris, Gideon or May) could well be enough.
    ...a reduced TV tax say £50 a year that is paid to a central body to allow decent science, political and history series to be made is what we need.

I despair at the cack churned out today, the World at War is still an incredible series as is the original Cosmos with Carl Sagan or The undersea World of Jacques Costeau, no one seems prepared to make these really great series these days all we get is endless cooking shows and sleb cack.

So I guess as Science, Political and History are what you're interested in, they're all that's of value? Bit selfish. Anyway on iPlayer at the moment we have great History series such as "The Scandalous Lady W", "The First Georgians", "Marr on Churchill", and "Burma, My Father and the Forgotten Army", while the BBC Science website has a great mix of news reports, articles and audio. It could be better, but shows the BBC offer far more than "cooking shows and sleb cack".
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,681
    Forum Member
    Regardless of Corbyn the end of the TV tax is coming, my concern is public money still needs to be available for quality TV, a reduced TV tax say £50 a year that is paid to a central body to allow decent science, political and history series to be made is what we need.
    BIB1. A reminder of the 2010 Tory report that concluded that, to strip the BBC back to "pure PSB" (without defining what exactly that was of course) would save just £6 per LF per year.

BIB2. And what about those people who don't much care for those subjects?
    ... these days all we get is endless cooking shows and sleb cack.
    Then might I suggest you try looking at a listings guide occasionally.
    markmag wrote: »
    ...but shows the BBC offer far more than "cooking shows and sleb cack".
    Anyone who has ever looked at a TV guide knows this fact already. But then this is what the "anti" side do. They just cherry-pick the stuff they don't like and say "but that's all the BBC does" when it is clearly not the case.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest terrestrial TV is just dire and dying on its feet. By 2020 streaming services will be more popular, especially as faster internet speeds are rolled out.

4G will be standard for most of us on mobile.

I already find if I look through the TV schedule for the BBC, ITV, C4 etc there is almost nothing that interests me.

Very little decent science stuff, or engineering, very little decent history stuff decent political stuff is totally absent from TV these days.

I find more and more it's online be it radio or documentaries.

I'm seriously looking at junking the TV and the BBC tax at the end of this year. I have a projector for DVD's and I really can't see me continuing to fund the BBC who simply refuse ot spend money on decent TV and leave the reality stuff to ITV.

I agree that come 2020 that streaming services and TV channels via the internet will be more popular. 60% of my TV viewing in the last 10 or 11 months is now via the internet and IPTV. Such as BT TV and the likes of Netflix and BBCi player and stuff. I still watch the main 5 channels but not as much as I used to a few years ago. I also still use terrestrial TV as that's part of the Youview platform.

Darren