Digital copy of DVDs

2»

Comments

• Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    As long as you only watch it once as anything else would also probably be as illegal as ripping the DVD. You can record a TV programme to "timeshift" it but cannot record it to keep in an archive for repeated viewing.

Same was actually true for a vcr recording on old days - the technology did not exist to enforce it.

Herein lies part of the problem - companies are using archaic laws to justify their position. If those old laws did not exist, I doubt they would be able to get such laws passed nowadays.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    It wasn't that long ago that these forums were full of people openly saying they were using torrents and shouting down anyone who dared to point out that they were breaching copyright. Now people are being told they can't rip a DVD they have paid for.

I am among the first to advocate that we should respect copyright, but when the law is an ass and will no doubt be changed again soon, we need to exercise some common sense.
    oilman wrote: »
    Same was actually true for a vcr recording on old days - the technology did not exist to enforce it.

Herein lies part of the problem - companies are using archaic laws to justify their position. If those old laws did not exist, I doubt they would be able to get such laws passed nowadays.

Think it is more a case of how certain sections of the media industry are using the law rather than the law itself that is the problem.

As I see it the people who objected to the "personal use" exemptions are doing their image no favours at all. By bleating that they must be compensated it just looks like money is their sole motivation and sod anything else.

And lets be honest what will be the net effect of all their protesting? Sweet FA. People ripped CDs before the law changed, they ripped CDs after the law changed, they are still ripping CDs now the law has been overturned. Nothing has changed in reality.

And unless all of a sudden the world and it's wife gets hauled up before a court for infringing copyright by making all these rips nothing is really ever going to change.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Think it is more a case of how certain sections of the media industry are using the law rather than the law itself that is the problem.

As I see it the people who objected to the "personal use" exemptions are doing their image no favours at all. By bleating that they must be compensated it just looks like money is their sole motivation and sod anything else.

And lets be honest what will be the net effect of all their protesting? Sweet FA. People ripped CDs before the law changed, they ripped CDs after the law changed, they are still ripping CDs now the law has been overturned. Nothing has changed in reality.

And unless all of a sudden the world and it's wife gets hauled up before a court for infringing copyright by making all these rips nothing is really ever going to change.

There will always be pirate for sure. Most people are honest, of course and I admit I have made copies of protected dvds for personal viewing on a tablet, but I do not really like doing it and would prefer to have fair use laws in place.

I think it is worth protesting - one good thing about the internet is that it is difficult for goverments to ignore/suppress opinions.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    There will always be pirate for sure. Most people are honest, of course and I admit I have made copies of protected dvds for personal viewing on a tablet, but I do not really like doing it and would prefer to have fair use laws in place.

I think it is worth protesting - one good thing about the internet is that it is difficult for goverments to ignore/suppress opinions.

I couldn't care less. I'm not uploading what I copy to my HDD so as far as I'm concerned, I'm not doing anything wrong.
  • Options
    tompaynetompayne Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    The examples I gave (Exotic Marigold Hotel, Alien Quadrilogy etc) were random examples of price inequality. (*the Alien Anthology digital copy is the basic 4 films, compared to Alien Quadrilogy which is 9 DVD's of special editions and bonus features so even worse in comparison).

In all honesty I did not know that it was illegal to 'back-up' DVD's or CD's because it is so mainstream to copy a CD to a portable device, and the fact that you get 'bonus' digital copies of some DVD's now as well. So why could I not make my own version?

My other point about the extortionate price of digital purchases on platforms such as BT TV does in fact mean that I would not pay for them, and instead stay with the very-last-century DVD. I even read last night on Wuaki I think, that digital purchases only last for 3 years.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tompayne wrote: »
    In all honesty I did not know that it was illegal to 'back-up' DVD's or CD's because it is so mainstream to copy a CD to a portable device, and the fact that you get 'bonus' digital copies of some DVD's now as well. So why could I not make my own version?

It's just the industry being spiteful. There's absolutely no reason why people who want to make copies for their own personal use shouldn't be allowed to.