Options

Boy racers

2»

Comments

• Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Narrow road, busy traffic consantly coming in the other direction (our side was empty) hence why it lasted for 2 miles.

Talk about cut your nose to spite your face.
    Got no more time for self appointed traffic officers than those going for it.

Not sure what was wrong with just going about your business as normal, simpler for all concerned.

I'd be interested to know where all these boy racers are, can't say I've seen any notable examples in London for years.
    I remember a collection of 4 or 5 german registered Mercs and Audi's racing down the M4 elevated section (40mph dual carriageway) years ago, carving their way through the traffic, like motorbikes.
    They were certainly making progress, dangerous, but didn't seem to bother anyone, everyone else just kept their speed and gap and they caned off into the distance.

See the occasional modded car, but not doing anything interesting apart from being a bit noisy driving like the old bill with lots of revs.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That makes you just as bad in my opinion

Not at all.

He's simply making sure they drive at a speed at which they can safely stop, without crashing into him, as advised in the highway code.

I've slowed down (never got down to 7mph though) when I've had some numpty hugging my rear bumper.

If they're going to rear end me, I'd rather make sure it happens at 30, than 70.
  • Options
    Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread smells of troll.

However, boy racers make me laugh. One more 0.0 Corsa to watch disappear in my mirrors.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    Not at all.

He's simply making sure they drive at a speed at which they can safely stop, without crashing into him, as advised in the highway code.

I've slowed down (never got down to 7mph though) when I've had some numpty hugging my rear bumper.

If they're going to rear end me, I'd rather make sure it happens at 30, than 70.

In my experience you're better doing 30 or whatever the posted speed is, slowing down to silly speeds as per the other poster is just winding them up further.
    Makes them more likely to do something stupid like hit you up the back end or drive off down the road fuming and causing a problem to someone else.
  • Options
    chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all.

They said they slowed down to 7mph for 2 miles. You do not think that ridiculous?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience you're better doing 30 or whatever the posted speed is, slowing down to silly speeds as per the other poster is just winding them up further.

So, I'm doing 70mph (because it's a motorway/dual carriageway) and some idiot is about 10 feet from my rear bumper.

Suddenly, I have to brake hard, and the car following far to close smashes into me, causing me to spin off the road, leaving me in a wheelchair or worse.

And that's preferable to gradually slowing down and, as you put it, "winding them up further".

Thanks, but I'll slow down to a survivable crash speed, and risk "winding them up further".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They said they slowed down to 7mph for 2 miles. You do not think that ridiculous?

It would depend how close the tailgater was.
  • Options
    scotty1scotty1 Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »
    Some of them get their comeuppance eventually when they wrap their car round a tree or lampost.

You just hope that no innocent person gets taken out by their selfishness, but it happens.

Unfortunately they do this was by me last night poor parents it would devastate me

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/8527766.stm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scotty1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately they do this was by me last night poor parents it would devastate me

Again please, in English.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    put a commar in then mr pedantic

Unfortunately they do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, this was by me last night,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, poor parents it would devastate me

better
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scotty1 wrote: »
    put a commar in then mr pedantic

I wasn't being "Mr pedantic".

It really didn't make any sense to me.
  • Options
    Ivor BiggunIvor Biggun Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, I'm doing 70mph (because it's a motorway/dual carriageway) and some idiot is about 10 feet from my rear bumper.

Why not just move over and let them go on their way. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    Why not just move over and let them go on their way. :confused:

My driving instructor always said "better to have an idiot in front of you than behind - you can see them better".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wasn't being "Mr pedantic".

It really didn't make any sense to me.

no probs, 6 months mainly bed ridden is depressing me :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    how do you know they were 'boy racers'? they could have been proper car enthusiasts/modifiers, who know how to enjoy driving but also know that safe driving is more than just ridgidly abiding by a limit that is way out of date anyway.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how do you know they were 'boy racers'? they could have been proper car enthusiasts/modifiers, who know how to enjoy driving but also know that safe driving is more than just ridgidly abiding by a limit that is way out of date anyway.

pmsl!

so wreckless driving and speeding is ok so long as you are a car enthusiast?
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Narrow road, busy traffic consantly coming in the other direction (our side was empty) hence why it lasted for 2 miles.

That's every bit as aggressive as speeding... and makes you just as much as a jackhole.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member

More to the point, they could have been girl racers! Some of them look pretty masculine with their hoods up! :D There's loads of stupid girl racers, as well as their male counterparts in my area.

Just today, a woman on the road turned into the junction, cutting the whole corner and being almost completely on my side of the road, before speeding off.

If I'd been much further up on my approach to the junction, she'd have hit me. Gave her some mighty daggers for it though :p