BT line with terrible crackling and internet dropping off when its windy

I have a BT landline phonw and broadband from Orange (along the same bt line).

My internet has been playing up for years when it gets windy/rainy or the weather is a bit iffy, often dropping off. I assumed this was probably just a loose cable outside.

In the last week my phone is now almost unusable due to the static and the crackling on the line. It has been really bad with the last couple of days of high winds - to the point where I couldnt actually use the phone yesterday.

All my equipment is fine, and works ok next door.

Would BT charge to come and check this? or would they do it for free as I am 100% sure it is the cables outside the house which are the problem?

Any advice would be really useful. THank you!

Comments

• John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presume your line is fed overhead from a pole near your premises, if so sounds as though the 'drop wire' has a problem and needs to be replaced, suggest you report it to BT.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deffinatly sounds like a BT fault, check at the master socket with all your internal wiring disconnected (remove the bottom plate of the BT master socket). If it is still noisy then its deffinatly a BT fault.
  • busy_beebusy_bee Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it is fed overhead from a pole. I assumed thats why its affected by the wind! :)

The phone is connected directly to the master socket (its a small house) so there is no internal wiring to break.

Would they charge to fix this? I cant afford a call out fee.

Thanks
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    busy_bee wrote: »
    Yes it is fed overhead from a pole. I assumed thats why its affected by the wind! :)

The phone is connected directly to the master socket (its a small house) so there is no internal wiring to break.

Would they charge to fix this? I cant afford a call out fee.

Thanks

BT shouldn't charge to replace the drop wire from the pole to the house, unless, you have perhaps had double gazing fitted and the fitters have damaged the wire, or the wire has been damaged in some other way doubt very much that this fault is 'internal (in the house), with it only occuring when it is windy.
  • BT SupportBT Support Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Hi busy_bee

I have just seen your post and would like to look into this for you. I will be able to run some test on your line and see if we can pick up a fault. Going by the info you have provided in your post it does sound like it could be an issue with the drop wire as some other forum users have advised. Once I run these tests I will be able to confirm if we are able to pick up the fault and I can advise you further. If you e-mail me your account number and a link to your post to btcare@bt.com I will gladly look into this for you.

Regards David