Is there a thread on the missing girl, Alice Gross?

CostablancaCostablanca Posts: 28
Forum Member
I've had a search to no avail. Maybe Ive missed it?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was one talking about the issue regarding immigration from the EU in the wake of the suspect being named as a Latvian with a past murder conviction.

I didn't see one that talked generally about her disappearance.

Edit: This one - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2011178
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    I was wondering the same thing. I did find a thread about Alice's disappearance on Websleuths, it is not a website I have been on before but they seemed to have realised the importance of the cyclists to this case.

I really hope she is safe and well but sadly as the days go on it does seem she has come to some kind of harm. All very unsettling and I feel so very sorry for her family and friends.
  • CostablancaCostablanca Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    There was one talking about the issue regarding immigration from the EU in the wake of the suspect being named as a Latvian with a past murder conviction.

I didn't see one that talked generally about her disappearance.

Edit: This one - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2011178

im surprised then, that there's not been a thread about her, considering its all over the news.

But thanks for your link, I shall have a read.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems very unsatisfactory that the terms of Zalkaln's parole were merely that he had to email his probation officer once a fortnight, and it does bring into urgent question the matter of probation/ parole across international boundaries.

As for Alice herself, what can one say? She lived quite near me, and disappeared from a part of the canal where I often cycle, so it all feels a bit close to home. (I am not suggesting that it wouldn't matter if she lived elsewhere, but you obviously tend to think of a case more if you see the photograph on every lamppost). It must be indescribably horrible for her family.
    Forum Member
    Simi89 wrote: »
    I was wondering the same thing. I did find a thread about Alice's disappearance on Websleuths, it is not a website I have been on before but they seemed to have realised the importance of the cyclists to this case.

I really hope she is safe and well but sadly as the days go on it does seem she has come to some kind of harm. All very unsettling and I feel so very sorry for her family and friends.

Yes, I too have read it on Websleuths, and came over here thinking there would be the same here.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im surprised then, that there's not been a thread about her, considering its all over the news

I suspect the lack of thread could be down to potential legal issues, as well as the penchant for the DS Amateur Detective Agency to go massively over the top with speculation and overly tacky guesswork, as has happened in the past on many similar cases.
  • linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems very unsatisfactory that the terms of Zalkaln's parole were merely that he had to email his probation officer once a fortnight, and it does bring into urgent question the matter of probation/ parole across international boundaries.

As for Alice herself, what can one say? She lived quite near me, and disappeared from a part of the canal where I often cycle, so it all feels a bit close to home. (I am not suggesting that it wouldn't matter if she lived elsewhere, but you obviously tend to think of a case more if you see the photograph on every lamppost). It must be indescribably horrible for her family.

I know what you mean about it being close to home wonkey, it just makes the horror seem worse. We often come detached from things because when we watch the news (aka The Daily Dose of Horror') we have to be thankful it's not us going through it. when you actually cycle that same path it brings it really close and personal.

I hope her family have the strength to get through this and I would like nothing more than a happy outcome for them.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been trying not to think about it as for some reason her disappearance has really upset me. Her poor parents must be distraught :( She looks so frail in the photos too.

I had a dream about her at the weekend and at that point you know you are obsessing. My husband says I shouldn't read the news stories about it all but I can't help it. Poor girl.
    Forum Member
    I suspect the lack of thread could be down to potential legal issues, as well as the penchant for the DS Amateur Detective Agency to go massively over the top with speculation and overly tacky guesswork, as has happened in the past on many similar cases.

Oh, I thought you were not allowed to make a thread unless someone has been charged?

What I am not understanding though, or maybe I've missed it in the news - is why are they linking Alice's disappearance to Zalkalns?

Yes, I know he was seen 15 mins after Alice and he too disappeared 6 days after her.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I thought you were not allowed to make a thread unless someone has been charged?

I'm no expert by any means, so I can't say definitively either way. But then if you look back to the Jo Yeates thread, for example, where many, many people were absolutely 100% certain that Christopher Jefferies was absolutely the guilty party, then you can see where potential banana skins can occur.
    Forum Member
    I believe you are allowed to create a thread but once someone has been charged, the thread is closed so that justice can take course.

In the past there has been some really over the top armchair detective type of behaviour on DS; for example Joanna Yeates, certain members apparently purchased the same pizza as her for some reason thinking it would help them find out more about the case.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its terrible, poor girl, feel for her family :(
  • maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Another example of how immigration needs to be tightened up
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, there isn't a thread on it. You'll need to start one.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    It certainly doesn't look like there will be a happy ending to this, unfortunately.

Poor kid. I despair of humankind sometimes.
  • maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    It certainly doesn't look like there will be a happy ending to this, unfortunately.

Poor kid. I despair of humankind sometimes.

If, as strongly suspected, she has been murdered by the Latvian then that is a travesty! EU has a lot to answer for, criminals should NEVER be allowed into the country even if it is a littering offence. >:(
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    If, as strongly suspected, she has been murdered by the Latvian then that is a travesty! EU has a lot to answer for, criminals should NEVER be allowed into the country even if it is a littering offence. >:(

I couldn't agree more.

Some people with lesser convictions aren't allowed to visit the UK, let alone live here.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Someone posted a thread on here recently linking to this Richard Littlejohn article which was about this exact kind of problem - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2740258/LITTLEJOHN-Immigration-It-s-funny-old-game.html

It was criticised by a lot of posters. I didn't see the problem with the general gist of what he was saying there other than the dig at the Estonians having a picnic. Thread starter was a bit troll-ish too tbh, but still I think there's some good points in the article itself.

Edit: Thread is here - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2005594
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a search option in each section of the forums
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I don't think he is dead as he wired money to an ex partner for his children after he disappeared. Also, his bike was found at an old address 15 minutes from the scene. This Latvian guy has murdered in the woods before, it looks possible he may have done so again.
    I do hope they find him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Poor little girl.There doesn't seem to be much media coverage.I pray she'll be found safe and well
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully the knife turns out to be unrelated.
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drive past the suspect's house every day and there has been a police officer permanently camped outside for the past week or so. At the beginning there were also 5-6 newspaper photographers and a police van, but that quickly died off. They can't seriously be expecting him to return home?
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breaking Now, Police identify 'area of interest' in London Park.

They could have found her :(
    Forum Member
    They've found a body in the river. :(