CS: Sarah Harding was appalling!

Comments

• MODTLMODTL Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she was terrible and I'm saddened as I was a huge Girls Aloud fan and still have a poster of them on my wall! :( Was hoping for so much more. Still she looked amazing!!
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    I'm no fan of Kym Marsh - but I think she does fine in Corrie.

Harding however - is just plain dreadful!
    Kym's been on Corrie almost a decade, so her acting of course has inevitably "improved".

But let's not pull wool over eyes, Kym's first scenes were just as hammy and sterile as Sarah's.

I'm not saying Mrs Harding is a brilliant actress, far from it, but because the Corrie staff seem so intent on adding celebrities with little acting experience, they're expected to learn on the job. On top of working gruelling long hours and having next-to-no rehersals so that Corrie can go out five times a week. So the end product is hit and miss.

Think she's clearly overwhelmed by it all and it shows by her stilted acting. So she has room for improvement.
  • welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    What was the accent all about
  • Marsh.Marsh. Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welshsarah wrote: »
    What was the accent all about

As far as I know, that's her real accent.
  • AuntieSoapAuntieSoap Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not her acting I'm having a problem with (though it not great!), it's her herself:blush:. Every time she appears in a scene I don't think 'this is Jonie a Corrie character' I think 'that's Sarah from Girls Aloud on Corrie' which instantly ruins it as it makes the whole scene feel like a spoof off Text Santa or something like when Cheryl appeared on the show. Casting 'celebs' and singers doesn't work IMO as you can't see past them to the character their supposed to be.

This is a very good point and is also a reason why established actors, no matter how good, can be problematic. Lisa George IS Beth for me, yet Sue Johnston was always Sue Johnston, she brought too much pretext with her.

Corrie should focus on appropriately casting talented actors that have not got an existing persona.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she was fine tonight, in looking as well :D
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She wasn't that bad tonight, granted it wasn't fabulous but it's no worse than a lot of Corrie's offerings.

At least she's had some acting experience, which can't be said for Kym Marsh.

I'd put money on Sarah being back later in the year as her music career will inevitably flop as she was never the most popular in Girls Aloud and she's no longer at the height of her fame. If I was her I would concentrate on the acting, not the singing.
  • acid rainacid rain Posts: 6,997
    Forum Member
    She's in the wrong soap. She would be perfect in Hollyoaks.

On a positive note, I thought she looked very pretty.
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus christ she is quite frankly the worst actress I have ever seen in my life.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She was excellent especially when she slapped Barlow.
  • notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    Not quite sure what all the fuss is about!! Ok she wasn't brilliant but she was lot more convincing than anything i've seen from Tina O'Brien since her return, for one & certanly, as I said earlier more convincing than anything I've ever seen from Hayley Tamaddon as Andrea!! Add to that list the truly dreadful Callum & his gormless dog of a sidekick, Gemma & one trick pony Sean!!
    It was great to see Tracy get a slap, even if it had to be from a total stranger & in this case she hadn't actually done anything to warrant it!! All the other Street residents should take note & form an orderly queue!! :D
    Finally I actually found the bit where she stood up to Beth highly amusing and, while on the subject of lousy acting was Tristan Gemmill as Robert really any better? Certainly his scene where he 'eyeballed' Tony was laughable!!
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe that's what happens hen you don't have to audition for your part :kitty:

Having said that I don't think you can fully judge her when her only scenes have been with Emily, Rita and Norris who have over 100 years of Corrie experience between them

Agree with the first part, but I don't see the logic in your last statement. You can either act, or you can't. - She most definitely can't. I was cringing watching it it was SO bad.

The people running the show at the moment appear to have lost interest in anything approaching acceptable acting. (Was going to say excellence, but that would have been laughable.)
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    She was excellent especially when she slapped Barlow.

I've a feeling you're confusing the ability to act with your wish for someone to punch Tracy in the face. :cool:
  • phepiaphepia Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her image didn't help me as she looked like she'd been botoxed in the forehead. Not a wrinkle in sight!
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phepia wrote: »
    Her image didn't help me as she looked like she'd been botoxed in the forehead. Not a wrinkle in sight!

eh what a ridiculous statement, she is the same age as me, I have no wrinkles either and I most certainly haven't had any botox
  • sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,417
    Forum Member
    Not quite sure what all the fuss is about!! Ok she wasn't brilliant but she was lot more convincing than anything i've seen from Tina O'Brien since her return, for one & certanly, as I said earlier more convincing than anything I've ever seen from Hayley Tamaddon as Andrea!! Add to that list the truly dreadful Callum & his gormless dog of a sidekick, Gemma & one trick pony Sean!!
    It was great to see Tracy get a slap, even if it had to be from a total stranger & in this case she hadn't actually done anything to warrant it!! All the other Street residents should take note & form an orderly queue!! :D
    Finally I actually found the bit where she stood up to Beth highly amusing and, while on the subject of lousy acting was Tristan Gemmill as Robert really any better? Certainly his scene where he 'eyeballed' Tony was laughable!!

I thought Joni was worse than any of those others you mention :) Even the appalling Sarah Lou :o

She could improve - but what we've seen so far is so bad I don't think it should even have been broadcast. I know they don't have much rehearsal time, but they should have made time for Joni to go over her scenes till she got them right, or at least better - up to the standard of Sarah Platt perhaps :D
  • phepiaphepia Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe but what I mean is when you lift your eyebrows up there will be some wrinkling. She had nothing there, hence the botox thoughts.
  • Phebes4361Phebes4361 Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    OMG!! :o

I teach drama and I have 11 year olds who can act better than her!!

appalling- she really should stick to singing.. over dramatic and posing -

who ever signed her up??
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite possibly the worst acting I've ever seen in my life. Just appallingly bad. There are so many talented unknown actresses out there who need the break and Corrie went and gave the part to this talentless cabbage, without even giving her an audition! It makes a mockery of the whole thing. She was so bad she makes Kym Marsh look Oscar worthy.
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen worse.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Kym's been on Corrie almost a decade, so her acting of course has inevitably "improved".

But let's not pull wool over eyes, Kym's first scenes were just as hammy and sterile as Sarah's.

I'm not saying Mrs Harding is a brilliant actress, far from it, but because the Corrie staff seem so intent on adding celebrities with little acting experience, they're expected to learn on the job. On top of working gruelling long hours and having next-to-no rehersals so that Corrie can go out five times a week. So the end product is hit and miss.

Think she's clearly overwhelmed by it all and it shows by her stilted acting. So she has room for improvement.

I saw Kym in Hollyoaks spin off Hollyoaks in the City prior to her stint in Corrie and I thought she was great :blush: Really though she has always been a better actress than Sarah has been in Corrie so far. However, I do think you kind of get used to even the really bad ones and maybe they improve a tad with experiene so I suppose there may be hope even for her :o:D
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alienpanda wrote: »
    She made Sarah and Bethany seem like Meryl Streep and Helen Mirren

Wot, like two old women in their late 60s?? :D:p
  • JohnDoe14JohnDoe14 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Earlier this year, show producer Stuart Blackburn said: ‘Sarah is proving to be a gifted and exciting actor and I'm absolutely delighted to have her on board.

'The viewers are in for a treat as her character will be right at the heart of a massive new story for the Barlows.’"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...eet-debut.html

So how many of us think that having her on the show is a treat for us? Can't believe she's been called back for some more episodes, SB's version of good acting is bizarre, it's like he's trying to sabotage corrie. She highlights a lot of problems in corrie in this article too with the amount of time they have to learn their lines and rehearse as clearly it's not enough if this is the quality of TV that they put out.
  • -Unicorn--Unicorn- Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    I didn't even realise it was her! :eek:

She was pretty terrible.
  • vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That first scene with Norris was painfully awkward it was just very over acted. No subtlety but it improved after. Tracey Barlows is one one of the worst actresses around so at least she wont be next to a grade a actor. If we can just take a moment to recall Traceys return scene - sometimes it takes a while to get in to it.