Options

What happens if you don't activate a credit card?

Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As in you apply for it in the store and they send it out to you with the pin in a separate letter but you don't call the number on the card to actually activate the card so you use it? does not activating it affect your credit limit in any way? Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't think so, they'll just cancel the card and you'd never be able to use it without having activated it first, anyway.

No difference, really, to cutting a card up and putting it in the bin!
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine after while they'd contact you to check you've received the card, and then close the account if you don't respond or still don't activate the card.
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanx for the info. Think I am just going to cut the card up and not activate it.
  • Options
    ImpingerImpinger Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It won't affect any credit limit they've given you, but if you don't activate it, then you'd lose any 'intro offers/discounts' that might be available. Other than that, there's no issue.

If you're not going to use it though, then you're probably better getting in touch with them to cancel it yourself as that way you can get another in the future should you choose to and have all the into stuff again.