Comments

• Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dennisboy wrote: »
    The Voice: 8.55m (34.8%)
    The X Factor: 8.61m (32.7%)

Those are the consolidated averages. X Factor doesn't include +1.
    stv viewer wrote: »
    So X Factor could be closer to 9m

...and the rest, if you include the several ITV and ITV2 repeats.

Did The Voice have a BBC3 repeat?
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Thanks Bushmills.

Because of some of ITV's dubious daytime shows this week, BBC1 has stayed over 1m from Breakfast to Pointless. I wouldn't be surprised if BBC1 does better with these shows in daytime than with the racing they used to show.

ITV basically hand viewers to BBC1 on a plate sometimes. And why do they put these new daytime shows all in at once?

I would hope these two news shows are pulled with even quiz rpt's put in place, but I bet they don't. This is why ITV loose share each year. Commission flops, and then keep them in the schedule.

Flockstars tonight will no doubt be another sub 2m attempt at 'entertainment'. Why? This sort of commission does not help them achieve anything apart from viewer fatigue.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    ...and the rest, if you include the several ITV and ITV2 repeats.

Did The Voice have a BBC3 repeat?

The Voice has always had a BBC3 repeat.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Bit surprised with Top gear news, I thought Netflix were the favourites. Cant really see
    it being shown on terrestrial though.

So much for all the papers saying they were signing to ITV with exact details of when it was going to air, directly opposite Top Gear. Also apparently ITV and Netflix were the only two players.

Yet people still believe the tabloids when it fits their own opinions, which I why they still do it. Today's The voice story being a case in point which I am 99% sure is completely made up. I expect a journalist somewhere has just realised that ITV purchased the production company, as it was mentioned in the ITV results presentation the other day so the logical story for a tabloid journalist is to run a story that it would end up on ITV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV basically hand viewers to BBC1 on a plate sometimes. And why do they put these new daytime shows all in at once? .

If they showed a new show in the autumn you'd moan that they'd destroyed a winning formula that pulled down the whole schedule. You know like Mel and Sue. Therefore unless they never show anything new they have to try them now.

And if they never did show anything new you'd be the first to complain when Tipping Point or The Chase run out of steam and they didn't have anything new waiting in the wings to replace them.

The BBC don't have the same issues as their viewers have been watching in large numbers Bargain Hunt every day for about 20 years.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great night for C5. Right now it'd be the perfect time to start promo for CBB in three weeks-ish time if people could be bothered to watch after the summer series that just happened.

You know, Don't Tell the Bride was getting a lot of stick for doing badly, it's been consistent whilst the rest of BBC1 is starting to struggle more. Over the mid 2m for it, doesn't seem too horrific.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    If they showed a new show in the autumn you'd moan that they'd destroyed a winning formula that pulled down the whole schedule. You know like Mel and Sue. Therefore unless they never show anything new they have to try them now.

And if they never did show anything new you'd be the first to complain when Tipping Point or The Chase run out of steam and they didn't have anything new waiting in the wings to replace them.

The BBC don't have the same issues as their viewers have been watching in large numbers Bargain Hunt every day for about 20 years.

So why has Bargain Hunt kept an audience for 20 years and This Morning hasn't and it has been around for almost 30 years?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Great night for C5. Right now it'd be the perfect time to start promo for CBB in three weeks-ish time if people could be bothered to watch after the summer series that just happened.

You know, Don't Tell the Bride was getting a lot of stick for doing badly, it's been consistent whilst the rest of BBC1 is starting to struggle more. Over the mid 2m for it, doesn't seem too horrific.

Channel 5 factual is doing better than regular Big Brother. Didn't expect that a few months ago!!

BBC1 would have done better with DIY SOS there.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So much for all the papers saying they were signing to ITV with exact details of when it was going to air, directly opposite Top Gear. Also apparently ITV and Netflix were the only two players.

Yet people still believe the tabloids when it fits their own opinions, which I why they still do it. Today's The voice story being a case in point which I am 99% sure is completely made up. I expect a journalist somewhere has just realised that ITV purchased the production company, as it was mentioned in the ITV results presentation the other day so the logical story for a tabloid journalist is to run a story that it would end up on ITV.

Indeed. There is actually nothing factual at all about the report. Quoting a "spokesman" is always a bit of a giveaway.
    Still, it make headlines somewhere I guess...
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So why has Bargain Hunt kept an audience for 20 years and This Morning hasn't and it has been around for almost 30 years?

Because This Morning turned into rubbish, Bargain Hunt only changed the presenter and added a bonus item.
  • Options
    FruityLoopyFruityLoopy Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wish Wentworth was closer to 1 million but it seems to be winning its slot so thats great news.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

I had not realised it was a Sun story, so you are probably right. Newspapers have their own agenda as we know, and none of them have much time for BBC in general.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One odd thing about Javone Prince is that it also has a repeat at 10pm on Thursday which to my mind is perhaps a better slot than the first showing, and it's certainly worth bearing that in mind when considering the ratings.

And just to confirm, the repeat of Javone Prince is indeed getting higher ratings than the first showing, it got 600k last Thursday. Alright, that's not much to shout about, but that means it gets nearly a million between the two showings which isn't that bad for a new comedy show these days.
    dullagj2 wrote: »
    19:30 - The Pennine Way: 1.82m (9.7%)
    19:30 - A Great Welsh Adventure with Griff Rhys Jones: 1.86m (10%); +1: 101k

Ooh, look at that, bloody good for The Pennine Way, I think, it seems to have done very well for BBC2 this week. Of course it's already been shown in the North so people who live alongside the Pennines will have already had a chance to see it, though it's got more promotion for its network outing, there was a big feature in the Radio Times this week.
    I agree. It's the only other L.E. show that gets a half decent rating on BBC1.

Well, you say that, but there's no guarantee it would get that kind of audience on ITV. For a start the Beeb won't absolutely collapse in the same way ITV did opposite it this year, even if we just have Pointless and a lottery quiz opposite it that'll be four million or so, twice as much as Stars In Their Eyes was getting this year. And you can't say everyone who watched it on BBC1 will come over because they'd presumably be another massive change in the panel and maybe the presenters will change too, so it'll appear a different show.

I don't think much of this "report" at all, though. I've said this before but the point of ITV buying these production companies is not to poach everything for ITV because if they did that no other channel would bother commissioning anything from these companies, thus rendering their purchase pointless.

Well, I would agree with this, it's easy enough to look at Flockstars and say "this is going to be a load of rubbish" but you never know what's going to catch on, it's a bit of harmless fun and nobody sets out to make a rubbish TV show. They haven't commissioned Flockstars deliberately over better formats, that is the best format they had. They haven't got a massive pile of new LE ideas on the shelf they're ignoring.

And as you say, if they don't show new stuff the schedule totally stagnates. Daytime is a great example, they didn't try enough new stuff out when they were riding high with This Morning so when it started wobbling they were stuffed.

That is exaggerating things a bit, Bargain Hunt hasn't been on for twenty years. This Morning used to be a big, big show but it's important to remember how bloody awful BBC1 were for its first ten years or so, their line-up was useless so This Morning dominated.

Bargain Hunt is an exceptional show, the format is so strong people have stuck with it. If the format is strong enough it will keep you in business for years, Bargain Hunt, Pointless and The Chase all have strong enough formats to last forever. Shows like The Weakest Link had weaker formats so they relied on their presentation and novelty, which was always going to wear off.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who do you think you are? magazine just posted the running order for the new series.

Runs 13 August to 22 October with NO episode on 3 September.

Running order is:
    Paul Hollywood (no surprise there as GBBO will have just launched), Jane Seymour, Derek Jacobi, (Then the week off), Jerry Hall, Gareth Malone, Anne Reid, Frank Gardner, Anita Rani, Mark Gatiss, Frances De La Tour.

The Sun today also claimed that Thunderbirds fans disappointed by the ITV series have raised money to make three new episodes using the original voices and created in the same puppet format as the 60s original to properly celebrate the 50th anniversary.

Perhaps this is the future - a DIY TV channel to let fans remake favourite series.

Could be better than a lot of multichannel tosh.

There are some good Star Trek fan made episodes on line and a very good Quantum Leap episode (A leap to Di For) where 'Sam' tries to save Princess Diana.

With an actual channel for this stuff to evolve then it could be quite entertaining and more original cast might return (though the fan Star Treks have courted quite a few).

Quite surprised nobody has done this kind of thing yet as so many multichannel channels are unoriginal.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched Flockstars. It was actually mildly entertaining :eek:, and the sheep escaping the course was hilarious.

Gabby's "Release the sheep!" is most definitely a rival to Dale Winton's "Bring on the wall!" line :D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Just watched Flockstars. It was actually mildly entertaining :eek:, and the sheep escaping the course was hilarious.

Gabby's "Release the sheep!" is most definitely a rival to Dale Winton's "Bring on the wall!" line :D.

What is notable about Flockstars is that it's just a half hour programme on a Thursday.

When it was announced I'm sure most thought it was going to be a massive new programme taking up many hours of the schedule either an hour on a Saturday for 6 weeks or every day for a few weeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well its top twitter trend, so what that means for the ratings I have no idea. But the title alone just sounds so tacky.
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree,it was entertaining for 30 mins,a lot worse on at the moment
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have no problem with new series being launched in daytime during Summer, but why launch several new daytime series all at once? If they did it gradually at least the schedule would hold up for most of the day. As it is, they now have a flop at 12.30pm, 4pm and soon to be 5pm. In the next week or so Tipping Point is again relegated to 3pm, despite being a strong performer at 4pm. That means two flops will follow each other at 4pm and 5pm.

That will then undoubtedly have a knock on effect on the 6pm news and so on.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is notable about Flockstars is that it's just a half hour programme on a Thursday.

When it was announced I'm sure most thought it was going to be a massive new programme taking up many hours of the schedule either an hour on a Saturday for 6 weeks or every day for a few weeks.

It'll be interesting to see how it does. They could've easily made this an hour long show but I'm glad they didn't. Although the format wasn't really explained very well unless I missed it. How many weeks is it on for?
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who do you think you are? magazine just posted the running order for the new series.

Runs 13 August to 22 October with NO episode on 3 September.

Running order is:
    Paul Hollywood (no surprise there as GBBO will have just launched), Jane Seymour, Derek Jacobi, (Then the week off), Jerry Hall, Gareth Malone, Anne Reid, Frank Gardner, Anita Rani, Mark Gatiss, Frances De La Tour.

The Sun today also claimed that Thunderbirds fans disappointed by the ITV series have raised money to make three new episodes using the original voices and created in the same puppet format as the 60s original to properly celebrate the 50th anniversary.

Perhaps this is the future - a DIY TV channel to let fans remake favourite series.

Could be better than a lot of multichannel tosh.

There are some good Star Trek fan made episodes on line and a very good Quantum Leap episode (A leap to Di For) where 'Sam' tries to save Princess Diana.

With an actual channel for this stuff to evolve then it could be quite entertaining and more original cast might return (though the fan Star Treks have courted quite a few).

Quite surprised nobody has done this kind of thing yet as so many multichannel channels are unoriginal.

The puppet series is using audio recordings and they got permission from ITV Studios, a channel couldn't work because of various copyright and trademark laws.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    dullagj2 wrote: »
    Wednesday 29th July 2015

ITV

19:30 - Coronation Street: 6.68m (34.8%); +1: 359k

Excluding BGT week (when the Wednesday episode averaged 8.0m) - that's the highest Wednesday rating since 8th April when hat episode averaged 6.9m.

Also Corrie has increased it's Wednesday numbers for the entire month of July moving 6.1m (1st), 6.3m (8th), 6.5m (15th), 6.6m (22nd) and last night 6.7m (29th). Very unusual pattern that considering the time of the year. Normally things move the other way.

All those numbers I've quote exclude +1.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be interesting to see how it does. They could've easily made this an hour long show but I'm glad they didn't. Although the format wasn't really explained very well unless I missed it. How many weeks is it on for?

8 weeks.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had very low expectations of Flockstars and you can only judge a prog by watching it so I gave it a go. I wasn't disappointed, it was a bad as I expected. An hour would definitely been too long. If others find it entertaining then fair do's. We all like different things.

Might do well this week following ED. not sure about next though.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excluding BGT week (when the Wednesday episode averaged 8.0m) - that's the highest Wednesday rating since 8th April when hat episode averaged 6.9m.

Also Corrie has increased it's Wednesday numbers for the entire month of July moving 6.1m (1st), 6.3m (8th), 6.5m (15th), 6.6m (22nd) and last night 6.7m (29th). Very unusual pattern that considering the time of the year. Normally things move the other way.

All those numbers I've quote exclude +1.

Viewing figures increasing as we head deep into July is unusual - but rainfall increasing as we head deep into July is unusual too. :D
This discussion has been closed.