Options

Parcel with a neighbour

Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I recently made an order online and (perhaps stupidly) asked the delivery people to leave it with a neighbour or round the back of my house if I wasn't in when it was delivered.

It got left at a house two doors down and though I know they've been in, they just don't answer the door.

I'm driving myself mental convincing myself they've nicked it, but I suppose if I don't get it it's my fault isn't it for suggesting they leave it with a neighbour?

It's worth a bit of money and I'll be gutted if I don't get it. If they continue to just not answer the door does anyone have any ideas what I can do? I was going to post a note through the door asking them to drop it round if they get chance or leave it round the back as they've "not been in" when I've knocked.

Don't even know why I'm posting this thread to be honest, perhaps just needed to vent. Anyone else been in this situation?

Comments

• Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    It got left at a house two doors down and though I know they've been in, they just don't answer the door.

Do you actually know that or just think it? I think you should make sure that they aren't away for a few days and just leaving their lights on rotate or something in the evening or assuming a call in the morning must be for someone else. if they are really hiding with your packet then I'd just call the company and explain what has happened to them. They would have a lot more experience of this than you or me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you actually know that or just think it? I think you should make sure that they aren't away for a few days and just leaving their lights on rotate or something in the evening or assuming a call in the morning must be for someone else. if they are really hiding with your packet then I'd just call the company and explain what has happened to them. They would have a lot more experience of this than you or me.

Thanks for your response :)

Well their lights were on and you could see the TV on as well so it seems incredibly likely that they were in. I just think that if I was going away for a few days I wouldn't accept someone else's parcel in that I wouldn't be there for them to collect it.
  • Options
    terry66532terry66532 Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i would pop a note -- they could think you are from the lib dems or something.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it a elderly person? Maybe with the TV on they can not hear you knocking on the door?

Try putting a note though the door maybe with a phone number on asking to give you a ring when they are around for you to collect the parcel
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tokenting wrote: »
    i would pop a note -- they could think you are from the lib dems or something.

Haha, good point thanks ;)
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Is it a elderly person? Maybe with the TV on they can not hear you knocking on the door?

Try putting a note though the door maybe with a phone number on asking to give you a ring when they are around for you to collect the parcel

No, not elderly. To be honest it's probably all very innocent and they just didn't hear the door. I'll knock again when I go out later and if no answer I'll stick a note through their door.

Thank you :)
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your response :)

Well their lights were on and you could see the TV on as well so it seems incredibly likely that they were in. I just think that if I was going away for a few days I wouldn't accept someone else's parcel in that I wouldn't be there for them to collect it.

I leave lights on and the television for my budgie, so they may not have been in.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is it an ann summers brown paper package?

seriously though, generally speaking if we get left stuff for neighbours, we would take it round to them, not wait to be asked.
  • Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it an ann summers brown paper package?

seriously though, generally speaking if we get left stuff for neighbours, we would take it round to them, not wait to be asked.

Not me. They've got to come and get it if they want it. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I leave lights on and the television for my budgie, so they may not have been in.

What is his favourite programme? (That is soooo cute!)

OP, give it another go. Sure there isn't a problem.
  • Options
    CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When next doors kids were younger they were told by their parents not to answer the door when alone.

Maybe it was just the children in (if there are any)?
  • Options
    MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This happened to me a few weeks ago, I knocked a couple of times with lights and tv on in house but no answer so I went very early in the morning the next time and got them up:D.

Anyway lady asked why it had taken so long to come round and when I told her I'd been before she apologised and said they dont always hear the door if they are having their evening meal in the dining room but left tv on in living room so its probably really innocent.
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently made an order online and (perhaps stupidly) asked the delivery people to leave it with a neighbour or round the back of my house if I wasn't in when it was delivered.

I'm driving myself mental convincing myself they've nicked it, but I suppose if I don't get it it's my fault isn't it for suggesting they leave it with a neighbour?

It's worth a bit of money and I'll be gutted if I don't get it. If they continue to just not answer the door does anyone have any ideas what I can do? I was going to post a note through the door asking them to drop it round if they get chance or leave it round the back as they've "not been in" when I've knocked.

Don't even know why I'm posting this thread to be honest, perhaps just needed to vent. Anyone else been in this situation?

Did the postman leave a card saying the parcel was left with your neighbour?
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to leave the radio on for mine. Sadly he died aged almost ten a couple of months ago :cry:

Now I have no one to blame for burping noises :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    Did the postman leave a card saying the parcel was left with your neighbour?

Yeah he did :)

Thanks to you all for your replies. I can confirm it was indeed all very innocent and tonight on my way home from a few bevvies I knocked extra hard on their door and they gave me the parcel, saying they had meant to bring it round but had forgotten.

All is well that ends well, I totally panicked for a while though. I think next time I'll get it delivered to work or just rearrange delivery :cool: