Head teacher Jo Shuter banned for life over personal expenses

BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-27390139

The personal expenses were identified and quantified, I wonder why she was not required to repay any of it. Were they authorised for payment by anyone else?

Comments

• Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Good grief!!

Claiming her 50th birthday party expenditure of £6,292.90 from the academy in 2011
    Claiming £8,269 for an overnight stay at the Grove Hotel in Chandler's Cross for her leadership team
    Charging the school for furniture worth £1,500 delivered to her home
    Making extensive expenses claims, including mobile phone contracts for herself and her children
    Instructing her PA to book flights and arrange the rental of her holiday home on school time, and organise her consultancy engagements
    Taking on extra paid work for speaking at conferences and consultancy during term time
    Claiming for travel expenses she had already been reimbursed for by someone else
    Claiming £5,855.67 for taxi journeys not made on school business

Cheeky woman, that's unbelievable. She surely has to pay the money back? She's a thief.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get fed up with what are basically crooks, just getting away with it. She should definitely have to pay the lot back.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Never mind just repaying it, why is she not being prosecuted for fraud?
    Forum Member
    I like to see my manager's face if I submitted an expense claim for my birthday party. And what kind of party costs that amount of money?:o My birthday bash is usually a couple of bottles of wine over a Chinese banquet shared with half a dozen friends.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind just repaying it, why is she not being prosecuted for fraud?

From an earlier article on the story...
    The regulator added the panel was mindful allegations did not "refer to dishonesty or fraud".

Although it also goes on to say...
    Last year the Metropolitan Police said an allegation of fraud/false accounting had been made.

A spokesman said the allegation continues to be investigated.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-27237867
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Academy school, so very little if any oversight by the local authority. I have a feeling we are going to see many more of this sort of case, involving both academies and free schools, in the future.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    She should be jailed, much like the MP's who purposefully fiddled expenses should.
  • BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just heard on the local news that she has been suspended from her present position as acting head in another school in London.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    some, not most?
    Forum Member
    Barbra wrote: »
    Just heard on the local news that she has been suspended from her present position as acting head in another school in London.
    I wonder if she's been on the fiddle there as well?

It baffles me how she had the audacity to submit such outrageous expenses.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,417
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Academy school, so very little if any oversight by the local authority. I have a feeling we are going to see many more of this sort of case, involving both academies and free schools, in the future.
    Sadly I think you are right. Anyone who has ever worked in public sector will know about some of the dubious expenditures that go on and, dare I say it, may not be all that surprised by the story. Unfortunately though these new establishments are even more under the radar despite handling massive sums of public money.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Was that not inevitable though? She's been banned from teaching forever, so I would think that she's suspended until her appeal is heard (if she appeals) but will be dismissed if the ban is upheld.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder if she was taken on her current position with full knowledge of the outstanding hearing. It should be with the surrounding publicity at that time.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people risks their careers for things like this? Was just reading about a doctor facing being struck off for stealing £130...she probably makes that in a couple of hours.

Horrible, greedy idiots.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-27390139

The personal expenses were identified and quantified, I wonder why she was not required to repay any of it. Were they authorised for payment by anyone else?

She was probably in training for a career in politics! :D
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and that's why expenses should only be for WORK and WORK ONLY!

jackasses bleed the system dry because of their inherent greed!
    Forum Member
    I don't understand how anyone can think it's okay to claim for a birthday party, it's not exactly a work event. She's been taking the mickey. Mobile phone contracts for her children, too. What was she thinking?

I wonder who the whistleblower was?
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will she be able to get another job at an Academy or Free school? There's no requirement to have teaching qualifications so will the ban have any meaning in reality?
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Will she be able to get another job at an Academy or Free school? There's no requirement to have teaching qualifications so will the ban have any meaning in reality?
    "Ms Joanna Shuter is prohibited from teaching indefinitely and cannot teach in any school, sixth form college, relevant youth accommodation or children’s home in England . Furthermore, in view of the seriousness of the allegations found proved against her, I have decided that Ms Joanna Shuter shall not be entitled to apply for restoration of her eligibility to teach."

Are you suggesting someone might employ her?
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    PrincessTT wrote: »

It clearly is dishonest and fraudulent so I have to conclude that the regulator doesn't know it's arse from its elbow.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    "Ms Joanna Shuter is prohibited from teaching indefinitely and cannot teach in any school, sixth form college, relevant youth accommodation or children’s home in England . Furthermore, in view of the seriousness of the allegations found proved against her, I have decided that Ms Joanna Shuter shall not be entitled to apply for restoration of her eligibility to teach."

Are you suggesting someone might employ her?
    Just pointing out that under current rules such a ban is pretty much meaningless
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Just pointing out that under current rules such a ban is pretty much meaningless
    I'm not sure what you are getting at, she is banned from teaching not being as teacher. The ban says she "cannot teach in any school..."
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    Why do people risks their careers for things like this? Was just reading about a doctor facing being struck off for stealing £130...she probably makes that in a couple of hours.

Horrible, greedy idiots.

These people must be earning more than enough to lead a comfortable lifestyle. At least with some people who commit benefit fraud they really are living on the breadline.
    Forum Member
    She comes across as an arrogant and greedy woman. I hope she's prosecuted for fraud now.
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »

I'd like to see the reason why it didn't amount to "dishonesty or fraud". I mean this isn't one stray receipt sneaking in is it? Can't see it matters either if it was approved by someone else or not. She must have submitted them to start with. Only thing I can think of would be if someone else altogether collated and submitted them for her.