New Tricks Series 12

FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
Forum Member
Returns week after next. Presumably Monday August 3.

Very sad it'll be the last one.

Comments

• FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    I was a day out. Tuesday August 4.

Last Man Standing Part 1

Gerry is spooked by the discovery of UCOS's latest victim - a cop, whose body has lain untouched under a basement for 30 years. As accusations of police corruption and underhand dealings begin to surface, Gerry has to face up to some skeletons in his own closet and it's a race against time for the team to help before his murky past catches up with him. While babysitting his grandson, Gerry becomes convinced that only he holds the key to the investigation and goes Awol to uncover the truth.
  • Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad it's back on next week, but I'm also sorry it's the last series. It's been a good run.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    turfmike wrote: »

No Dennis Waterman - I thought he was in the first two episodes ?
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    He appears central to the plot - see post by Flukie above
  • zackai48zackai48 Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is usually a highlight of the year when the new series of New Tricks begins, but with most of the original cast having been replaced by vastly inferior characters, I doubt I will bother to watch this new series.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bernard Cribbins is in this episode!
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bernard Cribbins is in this episode!

He's not going to replace Dennis Waterman, is he?
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »

He is. Presumably they just preferred to show a pic taken of the new team after he'd gone, seeing as they're doing 8 episodes and Dennis only did 2.

That to me is the saddest thing about this! With Dennis gone and a whole new team it would have been like a new programme. They should have been given a chance. In the end, it's like they just used Dennis leaving as an excuse to swing the axe.

The Drama channel on Saturday is showing back to back episodes. It's their pick of the day and they do say "Ironically, in the week when the show returns on BBC1 with a two-parter marking Dennis Waterman's departure, you can wind back the clock 12 years to see how it all started.
    A much younger Dennis is joined by Amanda Redman, James Bolam and Alun Armstrong in the pilot. Supt Sandra Pullman is reassigned and put in charge of the UCOS Cold case squad, following a botched kidnap rescue. And first up is an unsafe conviction'

Ahh, the memories.
    A botched kidnap rescue ...

"It's 'er, innit? Woof!Woof! Bang! Bang!"

LOL It's apt they mention Dennis cos of course, he delivered that line to Jack. One of the best lines in the pilot I always thought! lol
  • turfmiketurfmike Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/dennis-waterman-thinks-new-tricks-6150490

This is more interesting, Waterman did not believe fully in Nicks character,
    Forum Member

He's right about 'you can't cast chemistry' They got lucky with the 4 original actors, cos they all had it.
    Forum Member

However the success of New Tricks could only last so long, after series 10 Amanda and Alun made their departure from the series with James following suit not longer after.

I do wish these people woul get their facts right! James left first, of course, after series 8.

Love the way it said the success 'could only last so long' You'd say that after about 2 or 3 series, surely (specially these days). James left after 8 years and it was still a big hit then!
    Idiot.

These interviews do at least explain why Dennis stayed longer than Amanda and Alun. Presumably if he'd known they were leaving when they did, he wouldn't have signed up for more when he did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He's not the only one! I thought the show took a nose-dive when Nicholas Lyndhurst joined the line up.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    S'funny but people always say something like that about *every* new cast member.
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Tamzin but she was in no way a worthy replacement for Amanda.

Nick Lyndhurst I again like a lot infact love but I think his strength is in comedy not drama.
  • Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new characters will never be as good as the originals, but I still enjoy them and the show. Even without Gerry, I think I'll like the rest of the final series. It's still a lot better than some other rubbish they put on TV.
    Forum Member
    The new characters will never be as good as the originals, but I still enjoy them and the show. Even without Gerry, I think I'll like the rest of the final series. It's still a lot better than some other rubbish they put on TV.

Couldn't agree more with that. I hardly watch anything 'new' these days as it is. I don't watch reality/talent shows or soaps so there's not a lot left after that!

I watch a lot of DVD's these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    S'funny but people always say something like that about *every* new cast member.

Not necessarily : I liked Amanda Redman, but think Tamzin Outhwaite an ideal replacement, and the show didn't lose anything when she (Tamzin) joined it.

Denis Lawson is great; "Brian" was getting more and more silly, and it was time for him to go. Denis's character is lively and bright, and adds a lot to the show.

It's just Nicholas Lyndhurst I think is wrong.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    I was a day out. Tuesday August 4.

Last Man Standing Part 1

Gerry is spooked by the discovery of UCOS's latest victim - a cop, whose body has lain untouched under a basement for 30 years. As accusations of police corruption and underhand dealings begin to surface, Gerry has to face up to some skeletons in his own closet and it's a race against time for the team to help before his murky past catches up with him. While babysitting his grandson, Gerry becomes convinced that only he holds the key to the investigation and goes Awol to uncover the truth.

Isn't there a film called Last Man Standing?
  • turfmiketurfmike Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Just like last year, could be done by Cilla tonight............
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read the Dennis Waterman interview in the Radio Times, and he wasn't saying that Nicholas Lyndhurst was wrong for the show, but that the character he was playing was unbelievable as written, being an expert on everything, teaching himself how to play football overnight, etc. (i.e. the problem would have been the same no matter who was cast in the role.)
    Forum Member
    k9fan wrote: »
    Isn't there a film called Last Man Standing?

In a series 4 episode, Buried Treasure,(one of my favourites) the wife of an old villain referred to Gerry as 'Last man standing' (I actually thought of that when I saw the title) referring to the fact he was the only copper her husband couldn't buy when he was younger. Everyone else was bent, Gerry was the last man standing.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    In a series 4 episode, Buried Treasure,(one of my favourites) the wife of an old villain referred to Gerry as 'Last man standing' (I actually thought of that when I saw the title) referring to the fact he was the only copper her husband couldn't buy when he was younger. Everyone else was bent, Gerry was the last man standing.

Yes, I remember that, thank you.

I can see no chemistry between Tracy-Ann Oberman and Nicholas Lyndhurst.

I think the programme could have been okay continuing with Denis Lawson and Dennis Waterman but without Nicholas Lyndhurst.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Charlie is so cute!