Options

What is your earliest memory of Film?

enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
Forum Member
✭✭✭
mine was watching Stuart Little one in the cinema or watching Nacho Libre in a nearly empty cinema.

Comments

• Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,198
    Forum Member
    enudzio wrote: »
    mine was watching Stuart Little one in the cinema or watching Nacho Libre in a nearly empty cinema.

The Wizard of Oz in 1940, I was only three years old, and can remember sitting on my aunt's lap and screaming at Margaret Hamilton as the Wicked Witch of the West. :o:D
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being terrified by "The 7th. Voyage of Sinbad" when my mum took me to see it. I must have been about 3 or 4.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 4/5 years old watching Star Wars one Christmas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was seeing The Aristocats in the cinema but I've just seen it was released 7 years before I was born so maybe not....:confused:
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have many and I'm not sure which is the earliest. The most persistent was a B&W scene of a woman singing, "Where I come from, nobody knows. And where I am going, everything goes. The wind blows, the sea flows, nobody knows. And where I am going, nobody knows."

It wasn't until my 20s that I found out it was from Portrait of Jennie (1948).
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    Jenbonjovi wrote: »
    I thought it was seeing The Aristocats in the cinema but I've just seen it was released 7 years before I was born so maybe not....:confused:

Well, they used to get re-released years after being shown, so maybe you saw it the second time round. I remember seeing Dumbo, Peter Pan and a few other Disney films in the cinema in the early seventies, years or decades after they were initially released.

My first lucid memories of being in a "normal" cinema would be watching Dumbo. Mind you, I'm sure that my first memories were with my mother taking me to the cartoon cinema in Victoria Station, London. They showed the Warner Bros cartoons, Tom and Jerry, etc, along with some other stuff.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some of the early films I remember seeing at the cinema ......Old Yellow, The Alamo, Lady and the Tramp, Whistle Down The Wind, Cliff Richard films, the Adam Faith film about the Loch Ness Monster, The Guns of Navarone
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Absent Minded Professor at some North London cinema in the early 60's.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very earliest memory was going to a cartoon show at a local cinema in Liverpool in the 60's (Granby Street).

Think it cost thruppence...so in I went, sat down in the front row...and something about the lights changing colour on the curtains scared me...started crying so ended up leaving and getting my thruppence back...had an overdose of sweets instead.

A few years later my mother took me to see a film in the evening...we sat upstairs in the circle...the only memory I had of this film was it was black and white, and there was a scene with a guy sitting on a boat...opens up his sandwiches, they taste horrible so the threw them overboard...then he takes a drink of tea from a flask...tastes horrible so the throws that overboard as well.

For years I had no idea what that film was, that was the only thing about it I remembered.

Then about 5 years ago I was idly watching TV, an old B/W British comedy film came on, I started watching...and my god there it was!

It was The Bargee, a comedy with Harry H Corbett, Eric Sykes, Ronnie Barker and many other British comedy actors. It felt very weird and a little cathartic to see that scene after so many years of not knowing what it was.
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing that cinematic classic The Cat From Outer Space in the late 70s. :D
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the cinema? The school took us to see Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. At home probably Fantasia or The Wizard of Oz.
  • Options
    mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,318
    Forum Member
    Probably seeing 'The Love Bug'. I remember Mum taking us to see all the Disney, Snow White, Bed Knobs And Broomsticks, Pete's dragon, in my early years but remember watching Herbie and a friend at school saying it was much better than Grease??
  • Options
    mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,318
    Forum Member

Oh my goodness that film was so advertised back then:D. Do you remember they used to play a short film before the premiere?
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's one of my earliest memories. The glowing collar! :D
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Animated Disney films like Dumbo, Fantasia, Cinderella, etc, in the cinema.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    IIRC, a double-bill.

First was Candleshoe (Jodie Foster and David Niven in Disney live-action ham-fest. Not too bad actually).

Followed by TV-movie cash-grab The Amazingly Cheap Spider-man.

The distributors would often fling together tenuous double-bills like these for the school holidays.

Mind you - Kia-ora. Hot dogs. Pearl & Dean. Ah, heady days.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We lived abroad - my Dad was in the Foreign Office. We were allowed to go and watch films over at the army barracks. My earliest memory .. well there are two memories really. Firstly I remember going to see The Sound of Music about 5 times ... my Mum was terrified I'd want to be a nun :D

Secondly I remember going to see Jerry Lewis in The Nutty Professor and being terrified when he first turned into Buddy Love, especially by his crazy talking bird :D

ETA: I don't know which memory comes first
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me it has to be Bambi and ET.
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enudzio wrote: »

either Entity, Halloween2 or Terminator ... they were the 1st movies I remember watching as a bairn! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 3/4 and it was Bambi. Much to my mother's disgust, I cried after Bambi's mother was killed, and had to be taken out of the cinema. Knowing my mother, I probably got a good hiding for spoiling her enjoyment, but I don't remember that bit.
  • Options
    Kay2000Kay2000 Posts: 3,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my earliest memories of watching one of the Hammer Horror Dracula films late at night with my brothers & sisters whilst my parents were out. I needed the toilet and no one would come up stairs with me. So I went to the loo in the back entry, which had no light, I persuaded my brother to stay by the door from the house, the idea was that he was to keep talking to me, so I would not feel alone in this dark place. Only he thought it was really funny to shut the door behind me, and make these ghoulish sounds from behind the door. That was until I put the coal shovel through the window out of sheer terror. That very soon stopped him laughing, and then he had the very long wait before our parents returned from the pub, to explain why they now had an hysterical child and a broken window. :D
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    The Great Mouse Detective.
  • Options
    nathanpaynenathanpayne Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    The animated Jungle Book movie is the first the sticks in my head.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Parent Trap, with Hayley Mills. Or possibly The Smith Family Robinson - I can't remember which came first.
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember watching Mary Poppins with my parents and my sister when I was very young. I also remember trying to snap my fingers together like the characters in the film.