Options

Taylor Swift - 1989 (Album Discussion)

Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Couldn't see a thread for this.

What are everyone's expectations for 1989 based on the 3 songs we've heard so far?

I really love Shake It Off and Out Of The Woods. I think Welcome To New York is great too but out of the 3, it's the one I like the least. However I was shocked to check iTunes and see it at #1. The UK is really loving Taylor so I expect this to be her biggest album in the UK at least.

The tracklist has also been revealed:

1. Welcome To New York
2. Blank Space
3. Style
4. Out Of The Woods
5. All You Had To Do Was Stay
6. Shake It Off
7. I Wish You Would
8. Bad Blood
9. Wildest Dreams
10. How You Get The Girl
11. This Love
12. I Know Places
13. Clean

I personally can't wait! I think I'm most eager to hear "Bad Blood" as it's rumoured to be about Katy Perry so it'll be interesting to hear the lyrics.

Comments

• Options
    tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would of thought Red would of at least been 2x platinum in the uk.

I am liking her new stuff also. Out of the woods has fantastic production.
    Welcome to new york is a cool song too.

I like taylor. Shes so wholesome (something popstars are not theses days..)
  • Options
    A_SmurfA_Smurf Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Agreed about Bad Blood, I'm curious to know about how Taylor feels about Katy. The album sounds like her best yet and the songs she has released so far have a pop vibe without sounding cheesy or venturing into bubblegum pop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim18 wrote: »
    I would of thought Red would of at least been 2x platinum in the uk.

I am liking her new stuff also. Out of the woods has fantastic production.
    Welcome to new york is a cool song too.

I like taylor. Shes so wholesome (something popstars are not theses days..)

According to Wikipedia, Red is platinum in the UK with 300,000 shipments! Which is pretty great, but I can definitely see 1989 selling more than that overall, I think 1989 will go 2x platinum! Her songs this time round seem to be having a much bigger impact on iTunes than the songs she released before Red's release!

And I agree, very wholesome and clean cut. It's a welcome change!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A_Smurf wrote: »
    Agreed about Bad Blood, I'm curious to know about how Taylor feels about Katy. The album sounds like her best yet and the songs she has released so far have a pop vibe without sounding cheesy or venturing into bubblegum pop.

Yeah I'm loving the 80s inspired pop sound, it's good to see that even though she's gone pop she hasn't chosen the generic route. Shake It Off is probably the most generic out of the 3 songs so far, but it's so catchy!

Her marketing campaign for this album has been crazy too. She's gone above and beyond the normal standards. It's nice to see she's not become complacent and lazy or just expects success to happen to her!
  • Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really excited for this album. I am a little worried that her lyrics aren't as strong this time around because that is my favourite thing about Taylor. Then again 22 wasn't exactly lyrical genius or anything so I'm not overly worried so far...there could be some fantastic lyrics on the songs we've yet to hear.

I'm also a little miffed about the suggestions that some of the songs are about Harry fecking Styles. I don't normally care who or what she writes about but their 'relationship' really rubbed me up the wrong way so I was hoping she'd just let it go!

All in all, very excited. I'm especially looking forward to Bad Blood and I think Blank Space, based on the lyrics she's been posting on Facebook. So far my favourite is Welcome To New York, I can really hear the 80s influence on that track (especially compared to the others where to my ear they're just pop).
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member

I personally can't wait! I think I'm most eager to hear "Bad Blood" as it's rumoured to be about Katy Perry so it'll be interesting to hear the lyrics.

I wasn't aware that they had fallen out.
  • Options
    hadjilouca05hadjilouca05 Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    According to itunes, there's meant to be a deluxe version of this album, but she hasn't put out a track list for it yet.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    According to itunes, there's meant to be a deluxe version of this album, but she hasn't put out a track list for it yet.

I've seen a deluxe version listed on amazon too.
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Now that it's leaked what do you all think? I'm enjoying it so far.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »

I don't think it was a falling out, more of that Taylor has said a certain pop female has been rude to her before. For some reason people think it is Katy. Which surprises me as she has no track record of being a bitch. I hear she is a delight on and off stage. Now if it was Xtina, i wouldn't think twice about questioning it.
  • Options
    Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, I'm enjoying this album so far. Track 5 is amazing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They all sound the same, the same snare on every song, I do long number 2 though. It's just a bit samey.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just listening to Bad Blood. Catchy chorus
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »
    They all sound the same, the same snare on every song, I do long number 2 though. It's just a bit samey.

After two listens, I definitely agree. They really start to bleed into each other.

There are maybe four tracks that I think are really great (Bad Blood, Blank Space, I Know Places, Out of the Woods). Everything else sounds same-y or is just not that good. But regardless, it was an enjoyable listen and I applaud her for taking this risk. Production throughout is great!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think some of the choruses are strong, I really like Blank Space but my gripe is the music on all the songs sound the same, no real melodies just keyboard stabs and I just keep hearing the same snare drum through most of the verses.

I hope it does well for her and maybe more songs will grow on me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough, I can't stop listening to it (well most of it, I skip WTNY, Style and Shake it Off). It's just a nice album. I became something of a remote fan after Red but I think I really do enjoy her music now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely loving this album. Very cohesive. Lyrics are amazing too. I think this is her most interesting work yet.

Standouts after a couple of listens are: Blank Space, Style, Out Of The Woods, Shake It Off and Bad Blood. But honestly they're all great and I think I'll fall even more in love with it on more listens. Can't wait to officially buy this on Monday!
  • Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not yet been able to listen to the album through and have only listened in bits and pieces. So far I'm not overly impressed. All the songs sound very similar and not in a good way, I can't quote put my finger on what the problem is because a lot of Red sounded similar bit that was an amazing album...

I'm going to withhold real judgement until I can listen to the full thing properly. I do like All You Had To Do Was Stay. Not impressed by Bad Blood though, the lyrics are disappointingly poor - makes Better Than Revenge sound like a masterpiece.

Listening to Style now, that's pretty catchy too.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's done the opposite to her last album and actually made a cohesive listen, her last album was a complete mess with songs that shouldn't have been put on the same album.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »

Taylor Swift's feud with Katy Perry explained by Jimmy Kimmel! :D

Must watch video! :D

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/160708/Taylor-Swift-And-Katy-Perrys-Feud-Perfectly-Explained-By-Emojis-WATCH
  • Options
    LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member

Listening to it I feel like it's about Taylor and Selena.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listening to it I feel like it's about Taylor and Selena.

Selena was just saying the other week how Taylor has always been there for her etc, so I doubt it.

Plus Taylor said she wrote the song about a female artist that for years she could never figure out if they were friends, this female would approach taylor at shows and say something and it would leave Taylor confused as to whether she was complimenting or insulting her. We know Selena and Taylor are best friends so she doesn't really fit!
  • Options
    VioletSummersVioletSummers Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Selena was just saying the other week how Taylor has always been there for her etc, so I doubt it.

Plus Taylor said she wrote the song about a female artist that for years she could never figure out if they were friends, this female would approach taylor at shows and say something and it would leave Taylor confused as to whether she was complimenting or insulting her. We know Selena and Taylor are best friends so she doesn't really fit!

Taylor said in the Rolling Stone that the artist in question sabotaged her tour by hiring a bunch of people out from under her. Dancers that were on the Red tour left half way through and were suddenly dancing on the Prismatic tour days later. When the interview with RS came out Katy Perry tweeted that same evening "Watch out for the Regina George in sheep's clothing".
  • Options
    kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite track is Style but I also love Blank Space, Clean and Wildest Dreams. All the songs are good though, even though I do sometimes skip This Love and You Are In Love.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't look like I can check the album out on Spotify, which is pretty annoying.