Renault Clio II Floor Wet, Why??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 718
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello, as above my Renault Clio 2 (2000)'s driver side floor is wet, I know there is lots of threads about the sunroof but the sunroof isn't leaking, in heavy rain I would also get a little water in the passengers side roof (by the sunvisor), I hear something about tubes being bloked or something, could someone give me a bit of a clearer picture??

Thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I always have a wet footwell in the passenger side in my Micra after heavy rain, it's because it comes in through some sort of air intake vent or something. Maybe this could be the problem?
  • purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello, as above my Renault Clio 2 (2000)'s driver side floor is wet, I know there is lots of threads about the sunroof but the sunroof isn't leaking, in heavy rain I would also get a little water in the passengers side roof (by the sunvisor), I hear something about tubes being bloked or something, could someone give me a bit of a clearer picture??

Thank you.

If it's anything like my Citeron they are talking about the drain holes that run from the sunroof down inside the door of your car. Some heavy gauge wire should clear it (although mine are clear and my car still gets wet, both front seats too!)
  • EBD3000EBD3000 Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's anything like my Citeron they are talking about the drain holes that run from the sunroof down inside the door of your car. Some heavy gauge wire should clear it (although mine are clear and my car still gets wet, both front seats too!)

After that I'd then check your door seals.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    On my 99 Clio I had wet carpets in the front and back, and found a load of water in the boot where the tyre is kept, which explained the sloshing noise it used to make going round corners.

I traced it back to a missing plastic plug around the inside of the rear window/boot lid. If memory serves it was about half way down on the left and side, about level with the parcel shelf. I squirted a little silicon sealer into the hole, drained the water out the boot and it was fine after that. Until the cambelt snapped on the motorway, that is.:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could it cause any damage?? Under the spare wheel there is a little water where the person who last owned the car put some material down which soaked it up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EBD3000 wrote: »
    After that I'd then check your door seals.

I'm taking the car to be serviced in November or December and I'll get the mechanic to have a look, I know him so hopefully he'll find the fault.
  • EBD3000EBD3000 Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm taking the car to be serviced in November or December and I'll get the mechanic to have a look, I know him so hopefully he'll find the fault.

Although knowing Renault its probably a 'feature'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ha, ha!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Had another look and I think the seal around the windscreen is doggy, and that would explain the floor being wet but I hear like a noise of the water, almost like when you shake a bottle of water when it's not full like a 'glug' sound!!
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    The drains from sunroofs are generally flexible plastic hoses which run down the doorposts, sometimes they get blocked in the summer months and need cleared, you can usually gain access to the drains by opening your sunroof and looking for some holes in each corner of the sunroof frame.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The answer's easy - it's French! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    get in the car and get someone to really soak the outside with a hose , hopefully that will show you where the water is getting in :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    The answer's easy - it's French! ;)

being fair it's quite a nice wee car to drive and other than that and the raditor fan needing changing it seems grand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    get in the car and get someone to really soak the outside with a hose , hopefully that will show you where the water is getting in :)

I really am thinking it is coming in from the windscreen area and under the car and in.
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    being fair it's quite a nice wee car to drive and other than that and the raditor fan needing changing it seems grand.

But it is still French! :D Sell it and get a better car. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member

Thank you.

Hey Sylvia, I may have a solution for your problem.

I had a Renault Megane and had exactly the same problem which did turn out to be the tubes that run from the Sunroof- the fix doesn't involve sticking things down the tubes though.

A common problem is that mud and dirt block up the very bottom of the tube, behind the bodywork. For my Megane all I had to do was remove a bit of plastic in the wheel arch with a screwdriver and pull all the mud and dirt out, it took about 15 minutes and never flooded again.

Now I know yours is a Clio and it may not be the same as the Megane but I would recommend trying this first, as it was very easy.

I hope this helps!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey Sylvia, I may have a solution for your problem.

I had a Renault Megane and had exactly the same problem which did turn out to be the tubes that run from the Sunroof- the fix doesn't involve sticking things down the tubes though.

A common problem is that mud and dirt block up the very bottom of the tube, behind the bodywork. For my Megane all I had to do was remove a bit of plastic in the wheel arch with a screwdriver and pull all the mud and dirt out, it took about 15 minutes and never flooded again.

Now I know yours is a Clio and it may not be the same as the Megane but I would recommend trying this first, as it was very easy.

I hope this helps!

Thanks, I'll tell the mechanic when Iget it serviced and ask him to do it, save me the bother!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another point to note is that the water was coming up from the carpet as it was under the mats in my car and my maters where dry!!
  • Knuxs7Knuxs7 Posts: 3,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my 99 Clio I had wet carpets in the front and back, and found a load of water in the boot where the tyre is kept, which explained the sloshing noise it used to make going round corners.

I traced it back to a missing plastic plug around the inside of the rear window/boot lid. If memory serves it was about half way down on the left and side, about level with the parcel shelf. I squirted a little silicon sealer into the hole, drained the water out the boot and it was fine after that. Until the cambelt snapped on the motorway, that is.:eek:

Freaky!!!! Everything you described has happened to me, in a Clio (and Rover) :p

To help OP... The water thing happened with my Rover... the garage "claim" the rubber sealing is prone to getting tiny pin holes in it, so when it rains it comes in...

The other ideas in this thread seem a good starting point, my garage ended up charging me 300 pounds to get it sorted. :rolleyes:
  • S-T-E-V-ES-T-E-V-E Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be leaking through the pollen filter behind the scuttle panel.
  • geobradgeobrad Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that i am now driving a 99 plate renault scenic, i recommend this site http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/index.php for any advice etc!!
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we had a fiesta - i think a air-con overflow was leaking back into the car. maybe its that.