Dexter - Season 8 - UK Pace

Comments

• RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure at one point he was suspicious of Dexter when he saw footage of him dumping bags into the sea. Now, that seems to have gone by the wayside and he seems oblivious to it all.

He himself isn't clean. He will easily bend the rules even when trying to do the right thing; and Dexter caught him stealing money from a crime scene. All things considered, he understands the value of discretion and probably knows it's better to leave well alone.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    He himself isn't clean. He will easily bend the rules even when trying to do the right thing; and Dexter caught him stealing money from a crime scene. All things considered, he understands the value of discretion and probably knows it's better to leave well alone.

I just think it's a bit odd that the writers haven't had him acknowledging any of it since. Not even a bit of suspicion crossing his mind. It's as if he's lost his memory of the whole event.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if he was more focused, on top of his game and without a guilty conscience he'd probably push it, like both Doakes and Maria did. But we've seen Quinn go from one mess to another in every season, be it professionally or romantically (or both). Even last season when Maria went after Dexter, Quinn was dealing with Brotherhood pay-offs and consumed with worry about Nadia's safety. That's why it doesnt bother me, he's got enough worries and demons of his own to go chasing after someone who already has dirt on him.
  • David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just find Quinn totally insignificant. Never took to the character and don't waste any time thinking about him one way or the other He is just one of those characters thats "there" for me. No more, no less.

I so wish he'd been the one that took the bullit rather than La Guerta, but I that would have been too much like Doakes and I think they wanted to kill off a fan favourite.
  • decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just find Quinn totally insignificant. Never took to the character and don't waste any time thinking about him one way or the other He is just one of those characters thats "there" for me. No more, no less.

I so wish he'd been the one that took the bullit rather than La Guerta, but I that would have been too much like Doakes and I think they wanted to kill off a fan favourite.

Is it just me or has Quinn lost a massive amount of weight in the last few Seasons? You could cut glass on his cheekbones! He looked better before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not only did loose a load of weight, but he lost it overnight! Lol. It was in between seasons 4 & 5, which may have been a year or a few months in between filming in real life; but in the show the season 4 finale and season 5 premiere happen overnight...so one day he's heading towards the Tony Soprano look, next day he's just skin and cheeckbones.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww Dex, why couldn't you have made a mistake and given Deb a lethal dose of M99 and put us all out of our misery ?
  • denddend Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good point about Quinn, he was on to him a few seasons back(had that old retired police guy follow Dexter diddnt he?), then LaGeurta starts going after Dex surely he would have been suspicious and followed up on it? Another pllot hole really.

The whole show is fully of them if you dig into the detail, but ah well its an entertainment show at the end of the day. Im enjoying this season so far, it will only get better i think since its the final one. Should be an explosive ending.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do I get the feeling Dr Vogal isn't interested in helping Debra as much as getting rid of her? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do I get the feeling Dr Vogal isn't interested in helping Debra as much as getting rid of her? ;)

My original theory still stands - I think she's going to mold Debra into a killer so she fits the code to see if Dex will act on it.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

She is definitely up to something. I don't trust her at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    STILL can't work out where this thing with Vogal is going. It's getting annoying now, LOL.

Looks like she's going to be "Kidnapped" next week, so maybe that will start making things a bit clearer. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, cracking episode last night. I might have to reconsider my theory :)

I still think Vogel has something more to do with all this, but can't quite work out what. The reveal of the brain surgeon was done quite well as well as it wasn't quite expected.

At least Debra was slightly less irritating, but then judging by the preview of next week's episode, that isn't going to last.

Also, I suspect we're going to see another Harry video but it'll be somewhat of a bombshell of some sorts. Maybe that Vogel is Dex's real mother or something ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We usually get a "bombshell" mid-season - Typically the end of Episode 6.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    My main problem with last nights episode was the weak cliffhanger. What's the point of doing a 'Is Dexter going to die?' cliffhanger when every fan knows that they can't really have the title character killed off a third of the way through the final season.

I did chuckle quite a bit at Masuka having a teenage daughter though :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteelEdge wrote: »
    My main problem with last nights episode was the weak cliffhanger. What's the point of doing a 'Is Dexter going to die?' cliffhanger when every fan knows that they can't really have the title character killed off a third of the way through the final season.

I did chuckle quite a bit at Masuka having a teenage daughter though :D

I don't think it was meant to be a "cliffhanger" really. It was actually more about Deb, than Dex.

It was confirmation of what Vogel had said earlier to Debra, which is that if she situation in the container happened again, even with everything she knew, Debra would still kill Maria rather than Dexter.

Whilst the situation with the car in the water wasn't quite as heightened as the situation in the container the fact is Debra instinctively swam into the water to save Dexter, despite her anger and despite being the one that drove them into the river in the first place, thus confirming what Vogal said it true.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think Vogel has something more to do with all this, but can't quite work out what. The reveal of the brain surgeon was done quite well as well as it wasn't quite expected.
    He apparently has some kind of vendetta against her, and it's hard to believe she's as ignorant of the cause as she claims. However, if she did know, then she was taking a risk letting Dexter chase so many red herrings first.

I never felt she was the brain surgeon, but she's clearly playing god with people's lives. She's cold and ruthless. Her keeping notes on Dexter endangers him, so she's unlikely to survive the season. Also, it seems she has Dexter wrong; her view of him is blinkered. If she had it wrong from the start, and he always had the emotions she claimed he hasn't, then it's possible her whole programme was in error and Dexter could have been "cured" without the Code.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    I don't think it was meant to be a "cliffhanger" really. It was actually more about Deb, than Dex.

It was confirmation of what Vogel had said earlier to Debra, which is that if she situation in the container happened again, even with everything she knew, Debra would still kill Maria rather than Dexter.

Whilst the situation with the car in the water wasn't quite as heightened as the situation in the container the fact is Debra instinctively swam into the water to save Dexter, despite her anger and despite being the one that drove them into the river in the first place, thus confirming what Vogal said it true.

That makes much more sense. I'm rubbish at picking up these psychological things in shows like this.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    There is definitely something off about Masuka's daughter.

She's mixed white/ Japanese.

She said her mum and her had always been alone but why would a white woman request Japanese sperm unless she had a Japanese husband or boyfriend?
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I recognised the actor playing the killer. Did he play Jamie In Shameless?
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    There is definitely something off about Masuka's daughter.

She's mixed white/ Japanese.

She said her mum and her had always been alone but why would a white woman request Japanese sperm unless she had a Japanese husband or boyfriend?

Perhaps the fertility clinic didn't screen on race? Perhaps Masuka ticked all the other boxes mum wanted and she wasn't bothered by race? Maybe mum was in a relationship with a Japanses man, but they split before the birth?
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh! thought of another one! Maybe the clinic screwed up the labelling :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Vogal survives but we still don't really know what she's up to...
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone think the editing was pretty amateur in last night's episode? Normally I don't notice things like that but both me and my brother commented on it whilst watching the episode.

This season is all over the shop plot-wise.... let's just hope the ending is good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Masuka's daughter is going to turn into a fairly inconsequential side-plot.

I'm hoping now the 'brain surgeon' plot is over that we'll get normal Deb again. Once again she ruined most of last night's episode with her whining. Interesting angle developing though with the son and, judging by next week's preview, whether or not Vogel and Dex teach him the code.

Still no clues at all how they're going to finish this though.