Options

Homechoice Expansion

dronkuladronkula Posts: 2,089
Forum Member
✭✭✭
From adslguide on Friday 3rd Sept:

Homechoice network expands to more exchanges
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=1840

Video Networks Ltd. have today announced the expansion of its Homechoice video network to a further 6 exchanges, including Greenwich, Deptford, Dulwich, New Cross, and its first outside the M25, Potters Bar and Stevenage. The expansion should allow the service to be available to a further 100,000 homes. They have also announced the addition of a Wireless Internet option which allows customers to connect to the Internet using a wireless network card in their computer. The package they offer includes installation and support, with the wireless router and network adapter, ideal for users who don't want the hassle of having to set it up. Together with the addition of some Sky channels to their portfolio, this news shows an expansion to a more friendly and appealing service.

Comments

• Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I like about the article in the independent is that it assumes that the cost of providing ADSL can be subsidised to a level to make this whole thing viable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viability is always the issue. My knowledge of HC is that it is not viable and only when ti does become viable will they have a chance and the reduction of the charges they face will be the only way to make it viable.
  • Options
    red_g00nerred_g00ner Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RadiorobFM wrote:
    Viability is always the issue. My knowledge of HC is that it is not viable and only when ti does become viable will they have a chance and the reduction of the charges they face will be the only way to make it viable.

What knowledge is this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    RadiorobFM wrote:
    Viability is always the issue. My knowledge of HC is that it is not viable

You're quite out of date. In its previous incarnation HomeChoice was anything but viable, losing astounding amounts of money on each subscriber (they actually charged less than BT charged them). HomeChoice Mk II has a markedly different business model based on local loop unbundling. This radically lowers their capital costs. It has been repeatedly mentioned in the press that they expect to break even at around 100,000 customers - not a huge number.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will see here http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=152958
    there were more details of their busines in the Independent this morning there was also an article in an internet newsletter which is also quoted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    well what ever happens i won't be able to get it when it expands. BT supplies my house with a fibre optic cable which they cannot provide adsl on as they are unable to support it :(
  • Options
    Brush MasterBrush Master Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (..) BT supplies my house with a fibre optic cable which they cannot provide adsl on as they are unable to support it :(
    Go and tell them DSL is only needed on copper wire; once you have fibre you're perfectly well-prepared for a 1GB always-on Internet connection :p